“The food is delicious!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Takeout
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just enjoyed our first meal here, and it won't be our last! The service was very good, but the real draw is the food! Our fried shrimp was superb! The portion was enormous...we could have easily shared the basket and had plenty! I can highly recommend B & J's!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

You get what you pay for. Lots of good fried shrimp and oysters. Unless you have a great appetite, get the basket. The dinner is more than most of us need. The service was fast and efficient. You can't eat atmosphere and B&J's doesn't have much. Rest rooms were all business, just like the rest of the place. Not fancy.

1  Thank Ralph111
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The food gets an "excellent" rating and I do recommend a visit, but let's face it, there should be at least a slight deduciton for the decor (or lack thereof) for the place. Here's the deal:

B&J's is just off of I-95. Get off at exit 49 and then drive about 2 miles, it's located on North Way. It's in a gray concrete block building surrounded by cars and trucks. You might be tempted to turn around and walk out when you step through the door, but don't be fooled by the threadbare carpet, beat up formica-top tables and lack of decor. This is a place where even millionaires come to eat (in addition to lots of local workmen, travelers from all up and down the East coast, and ordinary folk like you and me).

The fried shrimp is indeed very good. A basket with 1/4 pound fried shrimp and fries is $12.95. It's more shrimp than I can reasonably eat (there were 17 shrimp - two bites each for me). My sister and her husband say they always get the shrimp DINNER ($17.95) and split it. It consists of 1/2 pound shrimp (that would be about 35 shrimp) and two sides. That means you get the same amount of food as I got in the basket for a mere $8.98 each -- a real bargain that I will try next time.

I would also suggest you ask for the biscuit to go with your meal rather than the Texas toast that comes with it. There is a 50cent surcharge (which seems a bit much to me), but the biscuit is so good - much better than the Texas toast.

There is also a Buffet available. On a Wednesday when we were there, the featured meats were pork chop and fried chicken, also I think lasagna, along with veggies, salad bar, dessert and - their yummy biscuits. The buffet was only $8 and was popular with the other diners, many of which were chowing down on the buffet. My husband got the buffet and enjoyed it. I think they may have different foods available on the buffet different days.

On previous visits to Georgia, I've had the fried shrimp and it's been better than it was this time, but it was still very good. It was a bit too heavily breaded and perhaps a tad overcooked on this particular day. Nonetheless, I'd highly recommend a visit to B&Js and will stop by there again when I have the opportunity. Apparently, numbers of travelers make sure they include a stop at B&J's on their journey up and down I-95. I think it's a good idea myself!

1  Thank JoyfulWriter
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stopped here on our way to and from from Florida on the recommendation of an old friend. He said that the fried shrimp was the "best that he had ever tasted!" and he sure was right! My wife had the buffet and I had the fried shrimp-both were great, great, great. The staff is friendly and helpful, the food is fantastic, and the decor is "hole in the wall!) If you are in the area, do yourself a favor and stop by for a real treat!

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Drive a couple of miles off I95 and stay away from the chains. This little joint was reviewed by John T. Edge yrs ago and I finally got a chance to drop in. The shrimp and oysters were very good but I had built expectations of Nirvana and they fell a little short of that.

But I will gladly make the very slight detour at any time in the future to have them again. Little places like this need the public's support or we will only have the Red Lobster junk available to us in the future.