“Its worth the trip”
Review of Old School Diner

Old School Diner
Ranked #5 of 33 Restaurants in Darien
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Chef Jerome Brown, has 20 years in the seafood business. Our customers are our family members, we have over 10,000 photos on the walls of our restaurant! The Old School Diner, famous for the "Wheel Chair Platter!" - Come see why Ben Affleck says " Why ask, Trust your Chef" Carpeted parking lot? Yes we have that! A quick trip from Savannah and well worth the trip! A real Hidden Gem of the Southeast, that is a quote from Southern Living Magazine!
Reviewed February 23, 2014

After reading the reviews, we decided to give Old School Diner a try. We are glad we did. The decor inside and out was unique but not in a bad way. Chef Jerome greeted us with a hug and it only got better from there. We ordered the Wheelchair platter, it was HUGE and very tasty. This particular platter is never the same, it's what Chef Jerome wants it to be.... "trust the chef" and you will be satisfied. Our platter was Fried Georgia Shrimp, two types of fish, crab balls, fried oysters, bbq ribs and two sides (we had the potato salad and french fries, both were excellent). The only downside was having so much food (we took home 3 doggy bags) that we didn't try the cheese cake, maybe next trip.

Bill_LewisSavannahGA, Guest Relations Manager at Old School Diner, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

The Old School Diner would like to thank you for the oh so kind words in your recent Trip Advisor review. We don't advertise, never have! But we do have 5000+ family members that do this for us. Welcome to the Old School Diner family. We look forward to your return visit sometime soon. Chef Jerome and his family of the Old School Diner. Our apologies for not getting back to you sooner!

Reviewed February 16, 2014

To anyone that has never been to this little gem, hidden in the deep south.....YOU MUST TRY THIS PLACE OUT!! I guarantee you will be back!

Don't let the décor fool you, this place is awesome and Chef Jerome and his staff will make it a very enjoyable experience. We had 9 people in our group and ordered the Wheelchair Platters ( fried shrimp, fried grouper, fried oysters, crab balls, fries, & bbq ribs that fall off the bone!) believe me, you will not leave there hungry and you will be taking some home with you. OH, and if you can possible fit anymore in your stomach, you have to try Chef Jerome's home made Key Lime/ Strawberry cheesecake OMG!!

Hat's Off to Chef Jerome!

Reviewed November 8, 2013

From the carpeted drive way lined with commodes planted with flowers, this place is hard to describe! Entering the resaurant, your mind gets blown away with all the "stuff" on the walls. Then again, blown away once your food arives! The menu says "Trust the Chef"- go for the "wheelchair" special. Incredible shrimp, fish, ribs, and side dishes. Platter after platter streams to your table. Best to try the "wheelchair" if you have a party of four or more- becuae there is a TON of foods. Save room for a desert- all cheesecakes are homemade. Just one and only one mantra----"Trust the Chef"!!!! You will not be disappointed.

3  Thank SadieAtlantaGa831
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We went to the Leatherneck Refuge and on our way back I spied the Old School Diner sign. Being a teacher I was curious. I decided to see what I could find on the internet about the diner. What I saw was very intriguing. Since my children live in the area I asked them if they had been to the diner. They had not. They are always are looking for something new to try, so we made reservations. When we arrived, Chef Jerome was waiting outside to welcome us as family members. He gave us a tour along with the history of the diner. Then he turned us over to our waitress. Since we were looking for a new experience we decided to trust our chef and ordered the Wheelchair Platter. We were not disappointed! It was fabulous! The only problem we had was not saving room for dessert. We did order cheesecake and took it home. The sweet potato cheesecake is a must!!! I look forward to my next visit. My children look forward to taking others who visit them to the Old School Diner for an memorable experience.

1  Thank Bobbij83
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My suggestion is to drive down and check out the parking lot. (Don't wear heels). GO inside the building. The décor is eccentric and entertaining. I did enjoy that. If you really must order than I suggest the chicken or the Crab Legs. The quality of these dishes is adequate but at least the pricing is fair,

Wheel chair platter boils down to over $20.00 per person and if you can manage to get them to bring you some extra hush puppies might fill you up.

The "Big Grilled Shrimp" plate is 12 small 50 - 60 ct shrimp drowning in a mediocre sauce and not grilled at all. If you order this for the two of you since it is $24.00 you will be charged extra. Don't bother thinking that ordering water will save you money. 8oz Styrofoam cup of water was $1.25.

The atmosphere was fun but the food was mediocre and value was horrible, I will never go again.

1  Thank Matthew C