“OMG. I am guessing that those who rated this a 5 did not have to pay.”
Review of Old School Diner

Old School Diner
Ranked #6 of 33 Restaurants in Darien
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Chef Jerome Brown, has 20 years in the seafood business. Our customers are our family members, we have over 10,000 photos on the walls of our restaurant! The Old School Diner, famous for the "Wheel Chair Platter!" - Come see why Ben Affleck says " Why ask, Trust your Chef" Carpeted parking lot? Yes we have that! A quick trip from Savannah and well worth the trip! A real Hidden Gem of the Southeast, that is a quote from Southern Living Magazine!
Savannah, Georgia, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“OMG. I am guessing that those who rated this a 5 did not have to pay.”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My suggestion is to drive down and check out the parking lot. (Don't wear heels). GO inside the building. The décor is eccentric and entertaining. I did enjoy that. If you really must order than I suggest the chicken or the Crab Legs. The quality of these dishes is adequate but at least the pricing is fair,

Wheel chair platter boils down to over $20.00 per person and if you can manage to get them to bring you some extra hush puppies might fill you up.

The "Big Grilled Shrimp" plate is 12 small 50 - 60 ct shrimp drowning in a mediocre sauce and not grilled at all. If you order this for the two of you since it is $24.00 you will be charged extra. Don't bother thinking that ordering water will save you money. 8oz Styrofoam cup of water was $1.25.

The atmosphere was fun but the food was mediocre and value was horrible, I will never go again.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Matthew C

Richmond Hill, Georgia
“It's the experience that makes this place stand out!”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This particular dining experience was...so different in so many ways! And that's not a bad thing, heh. The outer decor is weird, and the inner is even more so. There are different rooms to dine in, which is different. The rooms in particular are vastly different from each other. But down to the service...this was about the only part of our dining experience that was not fun and enjoyable, but Chef Jerome explained that she was new so we gave that a pass. Chef Jerome also came out personally to discuss a returned steak to one member of our party, which was...an experience, but fun. He takes a lot of pride with being able to serve customers and give them a memorable experience, which is what happened with our party. The pictures on the wall show how much he enjoys the company.

• Visited September 2012
“Good food, but that's it!!!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This place is quirky, eclectic, and out of the way...usually all the things I love about a good hole in the wall joint. But, as soon as I stepped in the door, I was assaulted by the smell of must, mildew, and cherry incense. None of these things gets your appetite ready for a good meal. We had a large party, so understandably food was a little slow. When it started coming out, huge platters were being laid in front of people and I was excited. Then, the "bigger" shrimp platter I ordered came out. And I was presented with eight shrimp and 10 previously frozen crinkle cut fries. Needless to say, for $22, I was not impressed. Even at the biggest tourist traps in Savannah, this is a meal that would have warranted a $16 price tag at the most. To have to travel that far, not be able to smell your food over the smell of incense, and have your wallet raped...I won't be going back.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank elizabethstanley
Bill_LewisSavannahGA, Guest Relations Manager at Old School Diner, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Ms Stanley, Thanks for your review, looks like we did not pass and we also agree. The Old school Diner has no excuse for your serving size! We only do better when a discrepancy is brought to out attention. We have had much rain and some "leaks" in the restaurant and we are working to correct this situation. No excuses here either but mother nature has been hard on our place as of late. Join us again down the road and we will make it up to you that is out promise. If you have any problems on your next visit (or dining at any restaurant) please ask to see (the owner) Chef Jerome right away! Good Day from The Old School Diner Customer Management team.
Atlanta, Georgia
“One of the most eclectic places in Georgia!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Not the easiest place to find, but worth the drive. The food is great, especially the hush puppies. There is do much to look at, plan on spending a bit of time here. Oh, and definitely try the cheesecake, it's divine. Chef will come out and say hi, be sure to get a picture!

• Visited June 2013
Savannah, Georgia
“Go.........”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

When I saw this place on the web I knew It was our kind of place. Old School Diner is an "experience" to see, fun and funky. But it was an added touch for Chef Jerome to come out to greet us with a wonderful smile after a very warm welcome from the staff. The huge treat was the food. Great hush puppies followed by the best shrimp creole I ever had. Shrimp creole is probably my favotite food and I have been impressed a few time but more often dissapointed by the generic creole. Not here.
Just go..... again and again

• Visited May 2013
Bill_LewisSavannahGA, Guest Relations Manager at Old School Diner, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
The Old School Diner would like to thank you for the oh so kind words in your recent Trip Advisor review. We don't advertise, never have! But we do have 5000+ family members that do this for us. Welcome to the Old School Diner family. We look forward to your return visit sometime soon. Chef Jerome and his family of the Old School Diner.