“Add the Old School Diner to Your Bucket List”
Review of Old School Diner

Old School Diner
Ranked #6 of 33 Restaurants in Darien
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Chef Jerome Brown, has 20 years in the seafood business. Our customers are our family members, we have over 10,000 photos on the walls of our restaurant! The Old School Diner, famous for the "Wheel Chair Platter!" - Come see why Ben Affleck says " Why ask, Trust your Chef" Carpeted parking lot? Yes we have that! A quick trip from Savannah and well worth the trip! A real Hidden Gem of the Southeast, that is a quote from Southern Living Magazine!
Deltona, FL
“Add the Old School Diner to Your Bucket List”
Reviewed July 22, 2011

This kind of dining may not be for everyone but it's the kind of experience one needs to have to round out your true southern experience. Bring you're camera and get lots of pictures.

• Visited April 2011
3 Thank scrivenerlf

Jekyll Island, Georgia
“Unique Experience Not To Be Missed”
Reviewed July 1, 2011

If you are in this area, between Savannah and Brunswick, GA, you need to visit this famous, one-of-a-kind, restaurant. Directions are on the website, but it's only a few miles off exit 67 on I-95. You'll also get to see the smallest church in the U.S. as you'll drive right by it. The restaurant, owned and operated by Chef Jerome, has been visited by lot's of celebrities, most notably Ben Affleck, who shot a movie in the area. Once you see the famous purple sign you turn left onto the carpet covered driveway. You will then see several buildings all covered with "stuff" including lots of car license plates. We were greeted by our waitress when we pulled in and given a tour of all their nooks and cranies inside. The inside walls are covered with pictures of everyone who has visited the place. Chef Jerome comes out and meets with every customer, letting you take a few pictures as well. He's a real character.... The food is not necessarily cheap, but indeed worth every penny. I had the grilled shrimp and my husband had the shrimp sampler. All entrees come with a choice of a side dish, and the table gets complimentary hush puppies. The menu is primarily shrimp and fresh fish. Not to be missed is Chef Jerome's sugar free cheesecakes that he makes using fresh fruit of the season among others. I had the blackberry which was really good, and my husband had the peanut butter. There were about 10 different types to choose from. Our waitress was wonderful and meeting Chef Jerome is a highlight of the visit. We also bought a t-shirt for a souvineer. The restaurant is only open Wed thru Sun -- for dinner during the week, and lunch and dinner on the weekends. Big groups are welcome.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank cathyd
Savannah, Georgia
“Visit After Visit To This Bizarre Planet of Food Goodness!”
Reviewed April 22, 2011

I visit here so often that to author a review for each one would be nearly impossible! And I live in Savannah which means I'm driving for nearly an hour on the highway to get to the place! I highly encourage those considering this place to search video for it on YouTube, particularly an interview done by some art students at SCAD, Savannah College of Art and Design, because this interview captures the real spirit and soul behind this magical restaurant and the magical man at the helm, Chef Jerome. As I've reviewed before, the atmosphere is so unique, playful, and all at once strange, a kind of Food Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, if you will, that you'll be sucked into its dream world and fantasy before you can reconsider. As my table guest recently commented, that it was an amazing thing in of itself, that such lovely, marsh accented, roads, led to such a childlike food paradise in the middle of nowhere. But on to my recent meal. The expression around the place is Trust Your Chef, which points to a platter called The Wheelchair Platter and is almost the stuff of kitchen secret society. In fact, if I told you what was on it, Chef Jerome and lovely staff, would disown me. But I'll just hint that the seafood & meat variety is beyond abundant for the price, and even better, all fished, jigged or farm raised nearby. Nothing, and I mean, nothing, is shipped in from some far away place, and as many readers will know, that's simply impossible to find anymore, and to brag a bit further, Old School Diner can probably brag that more of its menu is fresh in this sense, than other places attempting to do the same, because of the nearby, area resources. In fact, Chef Jerome, served me a 10 to 12 pound flounder right out of the area waters that had been freshly jigged the night before! It was a MONSTER fish & stuffing it with crabmeat almost made it obscene, but it was a king's feast! It literally lasted me two more days of nibbling in my fridge! And for the price? Simply unreal. A fish like that would have cost me, 40, 60, maybe more at a city fine dining establishment! So, if you want fresh of the freshest in terms of the true, old world, dignified meaning of the idea, and yeah, not the overly advertised quasi one, and a place not taking you to the bank for it all, this is your joint!

• Visited April 2011
St. Marys, Georgia
“Great food and a Great atmosphere”
Reviewed March 29, 2011

I was treated like a KING at this unique Eatery. The food was incredible-fresh seafood and BBQ combo was perfect. Trust the Chef and try and save room for desert.

• Visited March 2011
3 Thank TheKing213
Douglas, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“This was a very interesting and unique dining experience.”
Reviewed December 17, 2010

We really enjoyed The Old School Diner. The service was wonderful, the food was delicious and the atmosphere was definitely one of a kind.

1 Thank marjoe60