“Forget the Interstate!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Open Gates B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Darien
Open Gates B&B
Ranked #1 of 3 Darien B&B and Inns
Sarasota, Florida
“Forget the Interstate!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2010

It's difficult to tell what is more charming, the small village of Darien or Open Gates B&B. They both won our hearts. We had looked for a place just off the Interstate, planning to spend just one night. But this was so special that we lingered on for an extra day, the highlight of a recent 12-day roadtrip. Gracious hosts, comfortable accomodations, gorgeous property. In the evening before walking to a nearby excellent restaurant (River House), sit on the front porch swing and sip a glass of wine, while looking at the village square with its fountain and azaleas and oaks covered with Spanish Moss, and listening to the church-bells chime. There's a timeless peace about this place that will make you want to return again and again.

1 Thank cbchrc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2010

My Wife and I have visited Open Gates many times and we will keep coming back !. We love Darien and Open Gates. We were just there this April (we live in Atlanta) with our Son, his wife and our youngest son and as usual had a great time. We have stayed at B&B's in the US Canada and Europe and Kelly and Jeff are the best. They are always warm and friendly, Jeff's breakfasts excellent, beds super comfortable (only my own bed is better :) and the old late 1800 house is beautiful. We love the Library and to stay in the Blue Bird Room when and if it's available. Both Kelly and Jeff are trained Naturalists and Biologists and will always go the extra mile in giving you information and pointing you to the best experience on Sapelo, St Simons or Jekyll Islands. BTW: That earlier negative review about showing up and not having a room - It's his own fault for not giving his credit card number to hold it - Those are the rules everywhere you stay. A small businessperson can't afford to hold a room and then have a no show. It's his own fault !

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2010

The owner was friendly enough, but the accommodations did not appear to be well-kept. The breakfast, was average, at best. The swimming pool, which we didn't use, did, in fact, look welcoming. Certainly, it was overpriced.

, Owner at Open Gates B&B, responded to this review, June 5, 2010
Jeff and I love our business and pour our heart and soul into it every single day. I am extremely sorry that you did not have a positive experience at our B&B and wish you had brought any short-comings to our attention immediately. Our guests entertain us, educate us, and bring their unique worlds into our own. We treasure our time with each of them and look forward to getting to know them all. Those who have been staying with us regularly for the past 10 years have watched our children grow, encouraged me in my political campaigns, and become like family. Although it is impossible to please everyone and discouraging when we get a negative review, it only makes us work harder. Darien and Open Gates are not for everyone. But for those willing to get to know us and our town, we offer a unique experience that can't be found anywhere else in the world. We hope that you will give us another try again in the future.
--Kelly Spratt, Owner Open Gates B&B and Mayor of Darien, GA.
Bonaire, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2010

My husband and I traveled to Darien and it was the perfect getaway! Open Gates is a beautiful historic Bed and Breakfast set on a square surrounded by live oaks and other historic homes. the innkeepers, Jeff and Kelly, are unbelievably friendly and helpful. Upon making our reservations I mentioned that I was interested in touring Sapelo Island. Kelly made reservations for my husband and I to go on a private tour with a woman from the island. the tour was so informative and fun. We preferred the oneo n one attention we received from our tour guide compared to the Island's other tour ran by the state. Open Gates has a fantastic library filled with books about the local area. My husband I I enjoyed sitting in the library reading while enjoying a glass of complimentary wine. We stayed in the Bluebird Room which was very comfortable and spacious with it's own private bath. the bed was very comfortable. the breakfasts Jeff made for us were delicious! Jeff and Kelly recommended a local restuarant, Darien River House Restuarant, which was out of this world delicious and within walking distance from the B&B. Another place where we enjoyed eating was the Purple Pickle, also within walking distance. If you are in the area looking for a place to stay, you HAVe to stay at Open Gates! :)

1 Thank alc9
Asheville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2010

Innkeepers Kelly & Jeff very friendly and welcoming. We felt at home. The inn is a spacious "homey" Victorian style house with great library and large parlor. One can relax on the porch or by the pool and enjoy the complimentary wine and coffee cake. We had the downstairs room which had a comfortable king size bed and huge bathroom. Although not a problem during our visit, light sleepers may have a problem with this room as it adjoins the library with a television on one side and the dining area on the other side. Jeff's shrimp and grits breakfast very tasty.
The inn is located on the quiet town square. Neighborhood is great for walkers and one can walk to the riverfront to watch the shrimp boats. During our visit Fort King George had its annual Scottish festival and recreation of an attack of the fort - very interesting.
Eating facilities are in short supply in the town. Skippers restaurant was very good and relaxing at the town's wine bar talking with local residents was very nice.
Overall, Darien is a great place to relax and walk. Youngsters & teenagers most likely would not find much of interest to keep them happy.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Coronado, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2010

It was a wonderful experience from the moment I arrived. I spent one week alone at this charming and graciously appointed B&B and have wonderful memories of my experience. The owners were fun, kind and extremely welcoming. This B&B made me feel like I was back in my childhood home, surrounded by beautiful flowers and live oak trees. Conveniently located, the B&B allowed me to walk down to the boat docks and get fresh shrimp from the boat captain. I frequented the nearby restaurants, and visited Cumberland Island, Jekyll Island and a wildlife reserve. The B&B was very family friendly with a baby and a young couple visiting and a separate unit attached to a yard for a family to bring the beloved dog. The owners went out of their way to take care of the unique needs of each of their guests. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Alto, GA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2009

We booked our trip a month ahead of time, but when we got to the B&B they didn't have a room for us! They said we must no have completed the reservation process, but they had even told us what room we were saying in on the phone and didn't mention anything else we needed to do. After telling us there wasn't a room for us, they didn't offer to help us find another place to stay even though we'd driven 500 miles to get there and was not familiar with the location. They did not seem concerned at all.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Darien
Days Inn Darien
Days Inn Darien
#3 of 5 in Darien
Hampton Inn Darien-I-95
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#6 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Ocean Lodge
Ocean Lodge
#4 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Embassy Suites by Hilton Brunswick
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#1 of 5 in Darien

Been to Open Gates B&B? Share your experiences!