TripAdvisor
Inbox
Search
Review Highlights
Best day of my life!

As a first time kayaker I was definitely nervous... but once I got in that river I felt nothing but... read more

Reviewed September 11, 2019
shelly M
Just Enough Excitement!

The kayaking from Broad River Outpost is either the calm section of the river or the rapids... read more

Reviewed July 22, 2019
AdventurousGranny

All reviews white water kayakers paddle rapids nature fun
Selected filters
Reviewed May 21, 2016

Broad River Outpost provides gear and shuttle services on two sections of the Broad River. Just a 20min. drive from Athens Georgia. The upper river trip is slow moving water with a few easy shoals. The down river trip has some fun class 2 rapids. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. They rent both canoes and sit on top kayaks plus all the gear needed from between $15-$20 a person. It's a great experience and a bargain to boot! A fun day on the river awaits you here. Bring a hat, sunscreen, snacks, your beverage of choice and a small cooler. Leave your cell phone in the car, it could get wet! Relax and go with the flow at the Broad River Outpost.

Date of experience: May 2016
2  Thank Lawson M
Reviewed May 10, 2016

My wife and I went for the afternoon and had a great time. I've been kayaking many times, but my wife had never gone so we chose to do the upper portion of the river which is a calm sight seeing section. It was great. There was enough current to keep you moving but you never got going very fast without paddling. There were 2 or three spots where there was a little bit of "white water" if you wanna call it that. In reality it was just some shallower portions of the river and a few rocks that created a bit of turbulence. Very easy for anyone to navigate. We spent about 4 hours on the river just enjoying the beautiful day. Take plenty of sunscreen and water. Not a bad idea to take some food too. We sure wished we had some snacks after about the 3rd hour on the water.

I thought the price was great. For $20 ($15 during the week) You get equipment rental and shuttle service. The folks running the place were friendly and very helpful. We can't wait to go back.

Date of experience: May 2016
Reviewed September 3, 2015

Price, 20$ each was a good price. The kayaks were good but some of the straps for cooler holders were broken and should of been bungees to accommodate different sizes. The seat back on a couple of the yaks in my group were also broken.

The river was down a little so make sure to check or just go after a couple days of good rain. The river being down means more paddling and getting stuck on more sandbars. This of course was not BRO fault just some advice.

My chief complaint was the exit point. You put in at the BRO so there is no bus ride to put in. You immediately get in the water. sounds great but, at the end there was a group of 60 plus our group of 14 all trying to get back. They had 2 short buses with kayak trailers shuttling people. This took us over an hour to get back. Plus they had no one help at the take out point to help the driver load the kayaks on the trailer. So we could either stand their and watch the guy do it buy himself and take even longer or the BRO got free labor. Which is what happened. I helped load for 2 groups then got frustrated and watched other people take over.

As much money as the BRO was making that Saturday it would have been very easy for them to send one employee down to do nothing but help load kayaks all day.

Date of experience: August 2015
1  Thank Ofcmac
Reviewed July 22, 2015

Hard to find a better way to spend $15 (per person) and a few hours on a summer day. My wife and I took our two boys, ages 9 and 6, and everybody had a great time. Did the upper section, which was really calm. Nobody came close to flipping a kayak (boys both had their own)--the bigger issue was getting hung up on some rocks or sand bars because of the low water level. Found 3 or 4 places to stop, so it took us about 4.5 hours, but it could have been a 3.5 hour trip easily and maybe a 3 hour trip if we had just paddled straight through. Bring drinks, snacks, and sunscreen--we strapped a small cooler or cooler bag to three of our kayaks and had plenty of provisions. We'll definitely do this again.

Date of experience: July 2015
Reviewed June 28, 2015 via mobile

We went kayaking with our 3 boys ages 10,6 and 4. It was a great day and we were happy we prepared by bringing drinks and snacks and sunscreen. Many of the people we met in the river were not as prepared. Depending on the water level it could be a 4-5 hour trip so come prepared for fun and lots of sun.

Date of experience: June 2015