“Snow Birds MIgration”

Howard Johnson Dalton
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Dalton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Calhoun, GA
Reviewed April 8, 2013

A weekend away with hubby was poorly planned due to an illness that put our outing in question. We did not book ahead at a favored hotel as we would prefer. Turned out it was a hopping weekend for hotels ALL over due to a National sporting event being hosted in Atlanta. After going through Dalton and being informed hotels were all sold out, we headed to another town to check and have supper. While dining we made some calls and found out there was ONE room in Dalton at the Howard Johnson. We drove BACK to Dalton to catch the room that everyone else seemed to miss. We should have known it was too good to be true. The receptionist was curiously mum about the room having been previously booked. She confirmed our payment and handed us the key. I opened the room to bed sheets crumpled and obviously used, something white, dried, and crackled spilled on the cabinets, used stuff on the sink, dirty towels everywhere and a dirty shop vac inside the door. We immediately went back to the front desk. The receptionist stumbled all over her words, at first denying she knew about it, then admitting it has bad water damage and "they" (online and phone agents) keep reserving the room for people...what was she to do??? She refunded our money, thanked us for not tearing her apart and that was that. Wish we had our gas money refunded, wish she had spoken up before we went through all of that. That room was so unacceptable I thought I should call the reservation number and let them know that room needs to be blocked from reservations until it is fixed. Surely, there is a way for a company to do so and protect their image. But upon calling the number and explaining to the agent the situation they needed to be aware of this and mark that room so someone didn't run into that again...he "transferred" me to a disconnected line. They missed an opportunity to right a situation and thus I cannot recommend this specific hotel. I will avoid this chain (Baymont/Howard Johnson) if at all possible. Seeing that we learned our lesson about not sticking with what we KNOW is good, and not booking ahead, I shouldn't be pressed to try them again anyway.

Room Tip: Perhaps if I had requested the booking agent at the 1 800 number to directly connect me to the speci...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

My GPS has this hotel listed as Jameson Inn. Check in was easy, desk clerk very friendly. Room was very clean, comfy bed, with everything I needed for a relaxing nights rest. The price was fair & parking at your door is so convenient. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013