“Great location, clean, quiet rooms.”

Howard Johnson Dalton
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Dalton
madison, wi
“Great location, clean, quiet rooms.”
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Outdoor entrance, small rooms, but updated nicely with working fridge, iron, microwave and coffee maker. Good breakfast with waffles, cereal, biscuits and gravy, yogurt, pastries, fresh fruit and two kinds of juice. The one employee we met seemed nice, but not all that geared toward customer service.

Great value for the money, wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Checked in this hotel for one night. Every time we went to the front desk we had to wait about 10 minutes for someone to come because they were all out smoking. The beds were horrible, they were the hardest most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept on. I took a shower. It drained so slow that by the time I was done the standing water was half way to my knee. We had to switch to another room in the middle of the night because none of us could sleep. The shower was a little better but the beds were about the same. I would never stay in a Howard Johnson again.

Room Tip: Choose your room in another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Linda B
Quincy, Florida, United States
Reviewed January 1, 2013

On a recent road trip, I needed to find a dog-friendly hotel somewhere in south Tennessee/north Georgia. Considering I have two medium to large sized dogs (one is about 35 pounds, and the other 55 pound), this wasn't an easy task. After narrowing down my options and reading the reviews, this Howard Johnson seemed like the safest bet. I would say that I made a good choice! Check-in went smoothly, and the room was very clean! Yes, there was some wear and tear to the room. The chair in the corner was a bit threadbare, and the carpet had several stains (as I would expect to find anywhere dogs are coming and going). However, you could tell that everything was well-maintained. I could walk across the floor in my socks, and they didn't pick up any dirt on the way across the room. There was no dust, no cobwebs, and no mold in the shower. The bed was large and comfy, and I loved that the heating/AC worked like a traditional thermostat (pick your desired temperature, and the system maintains that temperature), rather than the outdated heating systems you find in some hotels rooms. All of the employees that I interacted with were super friendly, and I found the breakfast to be sufficient. There were all the basics (cereal, waffles, juice, etc), and everything was well-stocked. The hotel was also very convenient to the interstate, and to a number of restaurants and fast-food places.

There were only two downsides with my trip. First, there is only one grassy area on the entire property, over near the pool. This meant that I had to walk over behind the landscaping in order to take my dogs to the bathroom. It was a bit inconvenient, and not clearly marked. There also weren't any bags available to clean up after my dogs, which would have been a nice addition. The other problem I had was that my room was right near the main lobby. While this was nice in theory, my dogs got really stressed out around 6:30am when the other guests started moving around outside of our room on their way to breakfast and checkout. I understand that there are only a limited number of pet rooms at the hotel, but it would be nice if they were located in a less busy area.

All in all, though, I was very happy, and I'll definitely be stopping here again if I have the chance.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Amanda850
Toronto
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Looks like this location is now a Howard Johnson and I'm not impressed. I have stayed here a number of times over the years and while the beds and TV have been refreshed, the rest of the place looks like it hasn't seen any maintenance in the last 20 years. The continental breakfast has less than at anytime before and the place was around 20% occupancy so you wonder what everyone else knows that you don't.

I'm sorry to see it slide into disrepair and I for one will be looking for a better place on my next trip down I-75.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank John P
Lake Wales, Florida
Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here after finding the LaQuinta and Comfort Inn were full. Nice property with comfortable bed. 37" flat screen tv and fridge, microwave, and coffee maker in room. Pretty good breakfast in the morning but would like to have had hard boiled eggs available.

• Stayed November 2012
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

I don't typically like motels with doors to the outside but I Hotwired this room for $60 and you don't really know what you've got until you've booked. But - the lady at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. I called to make sure I got a nonsmoking king and she did that plus ground floor. The room was nice - but a tad small. The bed comfortable - great chair - good in room coffee (French vanilla flavor) microwave and fridge and jets in the tub. Overall very pleased.

• Stayed November 2012