“Nothing to Write Home About”
Review of El Sombrero - CLOSED

El Sombrero
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed October 26, 2011

We decided to make a first visit to El Sombrero during our lunch hour on a Monday. When we arrived at the restaurant we were suprised that there was only one other table occupied considering the time of day and the busy downtown location.
In short, it did not take long to figure out why there was not a waiting time at this restaurant. The menu was very limited. If I recally correctly, the entire restaurant offerings were printed on one page, I'm fairly certain it was one, but possibly two, either way, not much to choose from. For example, guacamole, practically a staple on any other mexican menu in town, was absent. When the food arrived, it was simple and mediocre. Itt tasted like Taco Bell on upgraded plates. From what I understand this restaurant advertises itself as the oldest Mexican Restaurant in Town (apparently before anyone around here knew how actual Mexican citizens could cook, this place is ran by a caucasian, or at least appeared to be during our visit) and offers 'Authentic Mexican Food'. The only thing authentic might be the pre-packaged chips that is served with the salsa, maybe they came from Mexico.
Also, despite the practical vacancy of the dining area, it took quite some time to get service. And when we paid our bill, it seemed to inconvienece the owner to have to stop what she was doing to come to the register. We were never asked how our food was, or thanked for our business, she just totaled the bill, collected the money, handed us our receipt and that was that. Just a general lack of appreciation for our patronage.
I hate to criticize any place, even when criticizing I try to find something nice to say, because no experience is all bad. So I will say that it was clean and had a cozy atmosphere. But with dozens of Mexican restuarants now established in Dalton with actual Mexican citizens in the kitchen, I recommend almost anywhere else. My personal three favorite Mexican Restaurants in Dalton are Las Palmas, Los Pablos and Las Margaritas.