“Best place we have eaten at in a long time”

Back Porch Oyster Bar
Ranked #5 of 86 Restaurants in Dahlonega
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Back Porch Oyster Bar Restaurant is inspired by coastal North Carolina cuisine, our seafood is fine dining in a fun atmosphere. Our menu runs the gamut from simple fried catfish to Ahi tuna tartare, pan seared Chilean Sea Bass in a lemon beurre blanc, and cold water lobster tails. We also have a wide selection of cold water oysters from Northeastern U.S. and Canada. Yes you can find great seafood in the North Georgia Mountains!!
“Best place we have eaten at in a long time”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We almost did not eat here what a mistake that would have been. Not only is the food GREAT the service staff and owners really care about you and their food and it shows. Once you try this place you will be looking forward to returning. We will not visit Dahlonega without eating here. If you want great food and be treated like everyone cares about you this is the place.

Waynesville, North Carolina
“Fantastic Food & Staff!!”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

During January, 2013, I joined two other former coworkers, and friends, for a reunion in Dahlonega, GA. We chose Dahlonega because it was fairly centrally located to us all, and Dahlonega offers quite a few things to do, even in the dead of winter, including panning for gold, gold rush museum, etc. Dahlonega was actually the first gold rush in the US just before the Civil War, and is the home of The University of North Georgia. A lot going on for a small north Georgia town, and the town itself is worth seeing. Built on the old timey courthouse square theme, it has been well cared for, the old buildings retained and now contain many shops and restaurants, also open in the winter months.

But, I have to say, the highlight of our trip, and confirmed with a unanimous vote by all three of us,was the Back Porch Oyster Bar. We enjoyed a great lunch in the upstairs part of the restaurant, very comfortable, and informal, but they also have seating on the main level if you prefer. I had Fish & Chips, which were outstanding. In fact, I would say without hestitation that the fish, two large pieces cooked perfectly, were the best I've ever had. My two friends had a fried oyster hoagie with french fries, and the other had a combination plate of shrimp and scallops. They also said that their food was excellent. The lunch staff was very friendly and the food was served fresh, hot and promptly.

The owner is from the Outer Banks of North Carolina and ships in fresh seafood daily, so you never get frozen seafood in your order.

During the afternoon, my friends and I debated about where to go that evening, and we all unanimously decided to return to the Back Porch Oyster Bar. That evening we went back upstairs to the bar area of the dining room. The bar had many North Carolina craft brews and bottle beers to suit every taste and is a full service bar. We had a great time talking with the bartender, waitress, and the owner. They were as welcoming and friendly as you'll ever find in a restaurant. Along with great conversation, many laughs, and a few craft beers, we all shared a wonderful artichoke dip, with fantastic homemade chips, and one of the best artichoke dips I've ever had.

The Back Porch Oyster Bar is painted blue on the face of the building and sits right on the Dahlonega town square. My recommendation is to visit Dahlonega. They have numerous "mining for gold" facilities available, even in the winter, lakes, many wineries closeby, hiking trails, and as I recall, about 10 waterfalls within a very short distance of the town square.
But, my strongest recommendation, is that if you want excellent, fresh food, and enjoy a meal with a very friendly staff and comfortable, informal surroundings, go immediately to the Back Porch Oyster Bar for lunch, drinks, and dinner. You will not regret your choice, I assure you. The Back Porch Oyster Bar is one of those little hidden pleasures that you do not find very often. I will definitely return.

Georgia
“Gret fish restaurant on Dahlonega's historic square.”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Very good fish dinners, live music on the weekends. Easy stroll to the Holly (stage play) Theater and surrounded by UNIQUE shops in this Gold Rush town in the middle of Wine Country.

Visited September 2012
Dahlonega, Georgia
“Absolutely Wonderful Experience!!!”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Ok let me start out by saying I have never ever filled out any online review until now. Why because the experience I had there was top notch. They had no idea who I am and it really doesnt matter. What matters is I was treated like royalty. I was greated by a smiling face that opened the door for me, then was greated several more times by others before I even decided to sit down. I then was escorted upstairs to the bar and they heard me asking about raw oysters, before I knew it I had a plate of oysters in front of me on the house to try. They were so good I had to order more. Several servers, managers came and checked on me to assure everything was fine. I ordered a few meals to try and everything was tasty and cooked to perfection.
This is definately a place to go visit. I dont understand why anyone wouldnt write anything but a good review for this place. Everyone was so pleasant and friendly. The food was the best, yes it maybe a little more than some but hey you are getting what you pay for "Quality". I read a review where someone complained about price all I can say is you can review the menu before you sit and if it is to much for your big mac budget leave. I personally rather pay extra for great food, great service and friendly atmosphere which this place has it all. This definately will be a new favorite place for me to frequent. I also like how the waitresses worked together in helping. The only thing I would like to see is them get more variety on draft for beer, but hey they still had all my favorites in bottles. Try it you wont regret it, it sure made my night.

1 Thank Robert J
Dahlonega, Georgia
“Great Food, Great Service”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I have eaten at the Back Porch on many occasions, and I can honestly say the food seems to get better each time. I was prompted to sit down and write this review because I was particularly impressed during two recent visits by the 1) Cioppino and 2) a grouper risotto special that was to die for.

The food, staff, and atmosphere are all excellent. A big thumbs up.