“Wonderful Hospitality, Georgeous Views”

Long Mountain Lodge
Ranked #3 of 8 Dahlonega B&B and Inns
Dahlonega
“Wonderful Hospitality, Georgeous Views”
Reviewed September 30, 2007

After a long day, it was a treat to relax in the spa tub. We climbed into one of the best mattresses that we've enjoyed since the Peabody in Orlando.

The next day we enjoyed a 4 course homemade breakfast (with Dianne's lighter than air waffles) on the front porch with mist over the mountains and trout jumping in the pond.

The innkeeper was so helpful with information on wineries, waterfalls, hiking, shopping, and entertainment at the local restaurants. After a wine tasting at one of the 4 local wineries and a visit to local waterfalls, we came back to the smell of chocolate chip cookies baking.

Next a short nap. Then we enjoyed cheese and crackers before wandering out to the back porch to a comfortable chair with our books until time to head to Dahlonega for our restaurant and Holly Theater reservations that Dianne booked for us.

WOW the live theater productions are not to be missed. Plan your visit around the Holly's calendar.

After another delightful breakfast, we decided that Long Mountain
would definitely require another visit soon.

Dianne was gracious enough to share her recipe for blueberry muffins with me and promised to have a cookbook of her recipes the next time we visited.

• Liked — The hospitality and quiet mountain views.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mistymountains

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
atlanta, GA
Reviewed September 23, 2007

I'm sure Long Mountain would have been a lovely place to stay, had my reservation been honored. Back in June, I booked a room for a single weekend night during mid-October, N. GA's high season. I booked online, but a few days later, got an email from the inkeeper who said that their website had not yet been updated to reflect their 2-night minimum reservation policy during October. We were only able to stayover for a Saturday night, so after some pleading, she agreed to let me reserve the single night. A few days ago (about one month exactly from our planned trip), the innkeeper wrote me to say that they had accidentally double booked the room, and she woudn't be able to honor my reservation at all. Not sure why she was honoring the reservation of someone who booked after I did? She offered me 50% for any night Mon-Thurs -- not really a consolation as far as I'm concerned. This ruined the trip I had planned for my husband's birthday. Just want to alert other travelers of what I consider to be horrible, unethical business practice.

Stayed June 2007
6 Thank melmhill
Charleston, SC
Reviewed July 15, 2007

I enjoyed this hidden mountain retreat, the hosts and the breakfasts immensely. Nearby are waterfall and offroad vehicle trails and it's closely located to charming dowtown Dahlonega. Had it practically all to myself--enjoy it before it gets too well-known.

• Liked — Customer service, food and cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Atlanta
Reviewed July 9, 2007

Tim & Diane have put together a wonderful get-away retreat in Dahlonega that's away from everything, but near enough to enjoy it all when you want to. It's roughly a 10-15 minute drive back East into downtown Dahlonega to sample all that the "square" has to offer and only a 15 minute drive North to Wolf Mountain Winery from their beautiful (and NEW!) lodge. Traveling South, one may easily visit Amicalola Falls State Park within a 20 minute drive.

If you'd rather just stay put on property, you can't go wrong with Long Mountain's hospitality - they've thought of everything to help you enjoy your stay including videos, books, games, or just a beautiful porch and chairs to enjoy while doing nothing.

I recommend you NOT sleep late for fear of missing out on Diane's wonderful breakfast creations - truly a delight.

As I type this I chuckle at the first words I spoke as we drove up the steep driveway to Long Mountain Lodge - "I'm not a B&B kind of person - I don't think I'm going to like this weekend". HA! How wrong they proved me!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stevieg123
Austin
Reviewed June 9, 2007

If you are looking for an absolutely perfect getaway, look no further than this gem of a bed and breakfast in the Georgia mountains. Located only a little over an hour away from Atlanta, this place just oozes Southern hospitality and comfort. We stayed there for two nights, and we immediatley wished we had time to stay another 5 or 6.

The lodge is on a hill overlooking the Georgia mountains. Every room (there's six) has a mountain view.

Our stay began with complimentary wine-and-cheese at check-in, hosted by the property's owner, Dianne. She is friendly and sweet - and a fantastic cook -- but more on that later.

Each room of the lodge is filled with beautiful antiques and modern conveniences. We were given a tour of the empty rooms, and we can tell you that there isn't a bad room in the place. All are spacious, and most rooms have elegant fireplaces.

The bed was very comfortable, the room was immaculate and the bathroom was gorgeous - with a jacuzzi tub.

The great hall of the lodge is beautiful; there's a library that includes complimentary coffee, chocolates and games. It's the perfect place to rekindle romance or just enjoy a quiet weekend. If you want to watch TV, there is satellite TV and flat screen LCDs in the rooms.

And now for the best part ... breakfast. Dianne cooks up 5-star meals. She's a former professional chef, and it shows. To give you an idea, one morning we had gourmet coffee, a homemade (no mix) blueberry muffin, a fresh-fruit parfait and home-made waffles (again, no mix) that were as light as air and more delicious than any waffles we had ever eaten. We also had fresh-squeezed juice, delicious sausage ... and more. And this was just one of our meals. We ate the meal on a part of the wrap-around deck. There are cute little tables out on the deck where you can enjoy breakfast while enjoying the beautiful scenery.

To top this all off, the prices are extremely reasonable (especially considering the personal touches and the food). Our room was less than $160 a night).

There's more, but I want to leave some surprises for you. This B&B just opened this year. It's undiscovered. Discover it!

• Liked — The breakfast was to die for.
  • Disliked — I can't think of anything.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Austintravelers07
Georgia
Reviewed May 23, 2007

From the first phone call, booking our rooms, to the last good-bye wave from owner Dianne Quigley, my friends and I found Long Mountain Lodge a pure delight. The accommodations were spacious, clean, and well appointed, and the porches lent themselves to long periods of relaxation. The breakfast was delicious; we highly recommend the yeast raised waffles. =0)
The lodge is conveniently situated near waterfalls and walking paths, as well as the quaint town square in Dahlonega. We were all in need of a quick get-away from busy lives, and certainly found what we were looking for. We can't wait to go back.

• Liked — The hospitality and personal attention.
  • Disliked — No negatives for me.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank happyhiker63
Alabaster, AL
Reviewed May 2, 2007

Wow! How fortunate were we to find this gem in the mountains over a long Easter weekend! Diane and Tim have designed and built a fantastic, beautiful log cabin style bed and breakfast. The lodge was opened for business in Jan. 2007 and it still has that 'new home' smell: clean & fresh.

We stayed in the Wissenhunt Suite on the second floor. At first when I booked our reservation, I was concerned by the pictures on the web site, [--], that the rooms would be very small. Not the case at all--simply a trick of the camera. All of the rooms, especially the one we stayed in, were very large. The bed had a pillow-top mattress and was decorated with a lovely handmade quilt purchased from a local quilt shop on the square in Dahlonega. The bathroom was large--a walk-in shower stall and a jacuzzi tup. There is a wood-burning fireplace in the room, a small flat screen tv, DVD and vcr player. In the common room on the 1st floor, there are VHS tapes and DVD's that you can borrow to play in your room. Also in the room is a small desk that faces out to Wissenhunt Mountain and the lodge is equiped with wireless internet service. There is also a second entrance to the room that has a small deck with a table and 2 chairs, if you'd like to have your morning coffee outside while the sun comes up.

But I think what I liked best about the lodge was that Diane and Tim custom designed the house so that no one room shares a wall, floor, or ceiling with another room. So if you hate staying at bed & breakfasts because of hearing someone walk above your head or make noise all night next door, no fears. This is probably the quietest b & b I have ever stayed at. Our suite is above the kitchen, so in the mornings round 7:30, you may hear some cooking going on, but that only means it's time for Diane's delicious breakfast. Diane is a trained chef, and each morning was a treat to see what she would serve up. One morning was Belgian waffles that were so light, I thought I was eating a puff pastry. Another morning we had an authentic Irish breakfast, all the way down to the Irish sausages that Diane has shipped in from Nebraska.

There are cookies, popcorn, and soft drinks available all day in the common room, and at night, Diane prepares a snack with a wine split for each couple. Unbelievable service and attention to detail.

The lodge itself reminds me of the Pondorosa from the old Bonanza tv show. Very open, decorated with a mountain hunting/camping lodge theme. There is a large porch that extends along the front of the lodge where you can sit in a rocker and watch the sun set behind the mountains. Looking down into the valley, there is a small trout pond with a waterfall. Diane even provides fish food for the guests if you'd like to walk down the path to feed the trout. On the back of the lodge is a screened-in porch with tables, chairs and loveseats for relaxing, playing games or cards, or having breakfast outdoors (it was too cold for that when we were there--snow!).

All in all, I can't give high enough laudations to Diane and Tim for our wonderful, relaxing stay in the mountains. Be sure to ask Diane for recommendations of places to eat in town and about the local wineries.

Go now before everyone finds out about this place and you can't get a reservation!

• Liked — The quiet rooms, the delicious breakfasts, the warm service
  • Disliked — Parking was a little tight
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank windrider1202
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dahlonega
Forrest Hills Mountain Resort and Conference Center
#7 of 8 in Dahlonega
Reid Ridge Lodge
Reid Ridge Lodge
#1 of 5 in Blue Ridge

Been to Long Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!