“If your looking for prospecting equipment, shop here.”
Review of Crisson Gold Mine

Crisson Gold Mine
Ranked #2 of 43 things to do in Dahlonega
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Here at Crisson Gold Mine you can Pan for Real Dahlonega Gold, and look for Gemstones. We have instructors that are willing to help you and your family have a fun adventure. We also offer the use of Trommels, Highbankers, Gold cubes to the person that wants to do more than just pan. Please call us to find out more information. The Crisson Gold Mine has a lot of history. It is an actual open pit gold mine that was established in 1847 and was worked commercially until the early 1980s. We've been open to the public since 1969 and we are the oldest gold mining establishment in North Georgia. At Crisson Gold Mine, there is a 130-year-old stamp mill that is still used to crush quartz rock which contains gold. This crushed rock is called ore. In addition to the stamp mill, we have rod mills and jaw crushers that we occasionally use. All of these antique gold mining machines along with our open pit mine can be seen when you visit our gold mine. We sell our ore by the 5-gallon bucket. You can pan for the gold at our gold mine, or you can take the ore home with you. For our more serious gold miners, we have trommels for your use during your visit to Crisson Gold Mine. These machines are used to separate the gold from the sand at a much more efficient pace. Several buckets of ore can be finished in less than half the time it takes to pan them out. New for 2014 you can now purchase a pan of quartz rock and use our crusher to crush them, then pan out the gold. This has been a big hit. Especially for the more serious miners.
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

I stopped in here because I heard they sale a lot of equipment for prospecting. And that they do. From pans to dredges to metal detectors. The staff was very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.
We did not partake in any of the activities they offer for being limited on time. That's the reason I gave a low mark on the sights. Will be going back when I have more time.

All reviews
in 27 reviews
"dirt"
in 42 reviews

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Super informative, nice attentive staff. Lady who owns the mine is 2010 National Champion Custom Car owner from International Show Car Association. Ridler Award winner in Detroit.

1  Thank GeorgiaTully
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband loves going to Crisson to check out the mining equipment and buy dirt. Don't buy their bagged dirt expecting to get rich. If you want something that is a fun hobby that will help you relax and just kick back a bit, Crisson can help you out. We found a nice sized citrine in one bag which was a nice surprise. I've always found the people to be nice and helpful when visiting.

1  Thank sevensluky
Reviewed January 1, 2013

You have to pay $9.95 just to watch your family members pan for gold. The lady in the gift shop was so rude. Yelled at me for putting my rocks on the counter. We found a penny and dime in our pan items. How did a penny and dime get in there? I would look elsewhere to pan. I got the feeling this is a road side tourist attraction.

9  Thank got2getaway4
See more reviews
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Don't waste your money. I bought 2 Super High Grade bags of dirt on line at $165 each ($330)and got 1.6 penny weight out of the lot. When I called their customer service, I was told that they have never had a complaint, that was a LIE, just look at their reviews. They told me that I was panning wrong, (I'm a member of GPAA with 13 years panning experience). They told me my scale was wrong (The scale is a new, professional model purchased from Keene Engineering). Then they told me that they don't guarantee that you'll get any gold at all from their dirt. (Thats exactly what I got out of the second bag of their "SUPER HIGH GRADE CONCENTRATE" NOTHING. They pretty much said tuff crap and hung up on me. The Dirt they sent me was full of pine bark and pine needles and very little gold.

11  Thank Kenneth N

Been to Crisson Gold Mine? Share your experiences!