“friendly and helpful staff, ok wine”

Wolf Mountain Vineyards & Winery
Ranked #4 of 42 things to do in Dahlonega
healdsburg, CA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“friendly and helpful staff, ok wine”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

The staff were very friendly and helpful, coming down to tasting area to find us when there was a timely cancellation for lunch. We sat outside on the nice open air porch and ordered 2 appetizers and a special salad with tortellini and lamb kebobs, and 4 different wines, including blanc de blancs, chanteloupe, coupage, and claret.

The wines were drinkable, not distinguished at all, but not bad, but we are more knowledgable wine people than average. (The last few nights at home we had Manzoni barolo, Ridge cab, Langhe arneis and fontallada cava). The wolf mountain red wine described as a "bordeaux blend of merlot and cab sav" turned out to be 90% merlot and 3% cab. it tasted like those totally blah merlots that were lampooned in the movie "sideways" that once made "merlot" synonymous with uninteresting california wine. but it was drinkable. the white wine blended with chardonnay and viognier was ok too, but neither of us really wanted to drink it.

The food was less satisfactory. This food was what I used to have decades ago when I was young and went to chain restaurants: cheap ingredients, extremely over salted, and there was really nothing at all I wanted to put in my stomach. The trout spread was a hard substance that tasted like mostly cream cheese with no taste of trout, just salt. we didn't eat it, and usually my wife is too polite to leave anything, no matter how mediocre, on the plate.

the charcuterie plate was just some cold cuts of the quality you find at the grocery store deli counter, but not as good as high end groceries. You can often find a sandwich at the airport that is better than this food. maybe the pizza would have been a better choice, but it was probably as salty as everything else.

I feel bad criticizing this place because the staff, ownership, and everyone we met was just wonderful. We had a nice time and left a big tip, but if you are a foodie, you will not be able to eat here, and the wine is ordinary as well. The rave reviews here are simply not representative of our impression. A lot of people around us did seem to be enjoying themselves.

Oh yes, and on a Saturday it was extremely crowded. After a 2 hour drive from Atlanta we were wondering if we would be unable to even get in for lack of parking space.

Tiger mountain wine is noticeably higher quality than this, and we even bought some of the wine there to take home. The food was also slightly better.

1 Thank winewimp
Lindsey S, General Manager at Wolf Mountain Vineyards & Winery, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for visiting us and for your review of our winery. We appreciate the level of detail you gave about our food and wine, so we can be aware of your specific concerns.

While we realize individual tastes vary with respect to styles of wine, we are recognized as a leader in the GA wine industry with many gold/best in class medals up against California wines in LA & San Francisco competitions. However, all opinions are appreciated and duly noted.

With regards to our food, we strive to provide fresh, locally inspired cuisine and our reputation reflects that effort. I have looked into the complaint of the overly salty items you mentioned and can only think that it may have been the seasoning on our toasted pita chips. Our charcuterie plate features goat cheese from Fromagerie Belle Chevre, pate from Trois Petits Cochons along with black forest ham & Genoa salami, so if those items are available at the airport, we need to start traveling with you :)

Again thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us and CHEERS~

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Beautiful winery can't wait to return”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

My first time experience at the Wolf Mountain Winery was amazing. Staff was helpful and friendly, atmosphere was beautiful and the food was outstanding. The grounds were picturesque with great views of the mountains. We had lunch in the mid afternoon and although the reservation was for inside there was availability outside which they were accommodating. The wine was wonderful, there were 2 tasting options at the bar when you first walk in, a $10 and $20 which we opted for the $10 since we were having lunch also. Brought home a bottle of their white wine which I waited a few days to crack it open. Thank you Wolf Mountain for a wonderful day with my boyfriend and friend who was visiting me in Georgia.

Fort Myers, Florida
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Been here so often, can't believe I haven't reviewed it yet!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

We have been to Wolf Mountain numerous times and are members of their wine club. It is such a beautiful place to taste wine and have a great meal. And I mean great. My husband today had the Duck Confit and White Bean Soup and can't stop raving about it. I had a salad because I'm boring, but it was so good. We've been to the Bluegrass Harvest Brunch...marvelous. We've had lunch on the deck...so delicious. We've enjoyed tastings in the tasting room...also great. The view alone is indescribable, but combine that with the food and the service and you have one happy meal!!!

1 Thank FloridaKnippBay
“A great spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Got to go to Dahlonega for wine, and this is a great place for that. Beautiful location and friendly with great wine

Visited September 2012
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Beautiful veiws for a delightful wine tasting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

We love to have a Saturday lunch combined with a wine flite in the fall. Today I had a goat cheese and spinach salad topped with smoked trout. The winery has several award winning wines to choose from to pair with your lunch. Oct is prime time to visit with the fall leaves at their peak. Short drive north of Atlanta.

Visited September 2012