“Good food and lots of it.”
Review of The Smith House

The Smith House
Ranked #11 of 86 Restaurants in Dahlonega
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Famous for our all-you-can eat family style meals. Country vegetable and fried chicken is everyone's favorite. Stay in our historic inn and visit our historic town square of Dahlonega where the first Gold Rush was located. The Smith House is locked one block from the square.
“Good food and lots of it.”
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

We had lunch at the Smith House July 2nd. The food was home cooked and very good. The service was good and kept our plates filled. The veggies were fresh and home styled. Good food and good value.

Visited July 2013

Pensacola, Florida
“Patrons beware!!! A special kind of nasty!”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Smith House was highly recommended so we were looking forward to our meal. We were seated at a table and the friendly waitress took our drink order. Shortly after our food arrived and there was plenty of food and plenty of variety.

For the price, the quality was terrible. Green beans, sweet potatoes and corn right out of the can! I was so disappointed. The frozen fried okra was good, the mashed potaoes were thick, the broccoli casserole didn't have hardly any broccoli in it. The fried chicken was good, the roast was good, and the ham had good flavor.

Our biggest problem with this meal was the bowl of ham. The first piece in the bowl was fine. The second piece had clear bite marks on it where someone had taken a bite!!! We let the staff know and showed them the bite marks. The bowl was taken away and a few minutes later a young man brought another bowl of ham. He said the manager said it wasn't bite marks, but tear marks from the tongs! I have never seen tongs which were of a round shape. How would they pick up the food? The ham is good but not tender enough that tongs could tear it. However, teeth can and did. As a person who has been trained in dental hygiene, I know bite marks when I see them.

Definitely not a good value, not worth the cost for food out of a can. This is not true country cooking. The strawberry shortcake had good flavor; however, the cake was very tough.

NOTE TO MANAGER!
If you bother reading this.....We just thought a worker made a mistake and grabbed a bowl which was from another table not realizing a piece of ham had been bitten off of. However, after you made up that lie as an excuse we now believe that you all just add more food to the half empty dishes and send them out to other patrons. You would have been better off to say nothing than to lie. We were not looking for a reason.

A very nasty way of serving food! Also, who wants to eat with strangers who may or may not wash their hands after going to the restroom or blowing their nose??? Disgusting! I would give you half a star if it were possible!!!!!

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank Lisa W
Macon, Georgia
“Just not for me.”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

They had good food but we didn't like eating at the table with strangers. I didn't like everybody handling the bowls my food was in to dip from it. I am a germ-a-fobe and this was just not my bag. I like to have family time around the dinner table and this I felt intruded on that.

Visited May 2013
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Not worth the money - not great food”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Went here on Saturday on way to mountains. It was our second visit, and same result: mediocre, over-priced food, at best. $17.95 for my 14 year old who just wanted some sweet tea and cornbread. I can understand some people being deceitful and not paying, but when you are being honest, they need to have a beverage option, or allow a kids price. Anyway, the vegetables like green beans and corn taste canned. The pot roast doesn't taste homemade. The only thing decent is the fried chicken. Even though we have gorgeous fresh strawberries in season now in North Georgia, to put canned strawberries in syrup on a piece of stale vanilla cake and call it shortcake is a misnomer. Again, a canned product. I will not return and won't recommend. Service staff not that friendly, either. Just want to be sure everyone paid.

• Visited June 2013
Fayetteville, Georgia
“So Good!!!!”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Usually when we visit North Georgia, we always try to make a stop at the Smith House for a meal. They have a lot of great things, like ham okra and many more. You most likely will leave stuff. I would also checkout the gold mine they recently found a few years ago under the Smith House. Overall, this is a place I would highly recommend you visit, because I'm sure you will have a nice meal, and leave happy.

• Visited June 2013

Been to The Smith House? Share your experiences!