“Great Service on Etowah River through Dawson Forest WMA” 5 of 5 bubbles

Appalachian Outfitters
Hiram, Georgia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great Service on Etowah River through Dawson Forest WMA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

A group of four young ladies (18-24) and my wife and I went on Etowah River Aug4. Our run was through Dawson Forest Wildlife Mgt Area (below Hwy53 to Kelly Bridge Rd) which is about 9 miles of water and three hours of paddling. This is a good section for people new to kayaking. Water has a steady and quick flow and there are small sections of which require attention and are easily maneuvered by a beginner who can control their boat.

Making a reservation was easy, and Murray was helpful explaining differences between water choices for my group which has some paddling experience but no true whitewater experience.

Chestatee River was going to be too easy....middle Etowah a little too much since I have two beginners not quite ready for Class 2....Dawson WMA section seemed just right with easy paddling and some nice shoals, and easy Class 1 sections for beginner excitement.

Pick up service was on time and thoroughly prepared. Clean kayaks, clean vests, and a clean well maintained van. Parking area looks safe and secure with port o john and changing room recently built. Driver (?) explained some details and was helpful answering questions. We provided two of our own kayaks and Appalachian Outfitters provided four with vests and paddles.

I did have one no show from original group of seven, and owner Ben, called me next day to provide a refund to my credit card. I did not have to ask, he handled on his own. Nice touch.

We enjoyed a three hour trip which included limited side trips up short sections of Amicalola River and Shoal Creek (?) which can be paddled. No sign of civilization for three hours. Almost no trash or debris. Lot of Rhodendron on the banks/bluffs. Probably gorgeous in the spring with blooms and in the fall with leaves changing.

Visited August 2013

Johns Creek, Georgia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Great day on the Chestatee River!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Awesome day on the river. Great trip for kids too! This was the second time we have rented kayaks (tandem) with them. Easy paddle, fairly clear water, lots of wildlife, and great pricing! Has a nice changing area when you return on the shuttle from the pickup area.

Visited June 2013
Macon, Georgia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Love this store.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

We love to visit this store. You always find something you got to have. They have the cutest things. They always have new and different things. You never see the same thing twice. We enjoy just shopping here.

Visited May 2013
Marietta
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very nice experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

We kayaked with Appachian Outfitters earlier today and it was a really nice experience for the kids and us. We had two adults and 4 children 11, 12, 14, and 16. The 14 & 16 year old girls were together in a kayak while the younger kids went with the dads. With all the rain of the last few days the flow was not slow but it was not bad. The water was muddy but that didn't dampen our enthusiasm. It ended up being a good experience. All of us were novice and so a bit apprehensive initially but the kayaks were pretty stable.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good time in nature!

Visited June 2013
Ocean Shores, Washington
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“beautiful moving water, cllean,fun,relaxing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have been using these outfitters for a couple of years and I must say, they are excellent! Fine bunch of folks here that provide good clean fun! it is one of my favorite venues! Take an extended ride if you get a chance. The water is up a bit this year and it is even more fun!!!! I hope to see you there...

Visited May 2013