“wedding very nice, accommodations meh” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Forrest Hills Mountain Resort and Conference Center

Forrest Hills Mountain Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Dahlonega
Lafayette, Indiana
“wedding very nice, accommodations meh”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

We booked a wedding package there for our daughter. We did preview the cabins. They were rustic. The cabins that we booked however were not available to view because there were guests in them. We stayed in Wren, Robin and #6. We arrived early since it was for a wedding and our rehearsal was moved to 2 pm because they booked another wedding when we were suppose to have our rehearsal. We were told that we could most likely check in early because at that time there was no one in the cabins prior to our arrival. I also prepaid for everything except for the chuckwagon ride/dinner that we booked last minute. They told us cabins were clean and ready and that some keys were missing so housekeeping must be doing last minute check up since they were not occupied before us. We went to the first cabin (wren) and found mushrooms growing out of the carpet and dead scorpions in the hot tub. The rest of the cabin was not very clean. Robin was a little better. We then went to #6we found the cleaning staff still there. We told them about the issues with Robin and Wren and then unloaded our stuff at Robin so we could freshen up before rehearsal. after the rehearsal we went back to the cabins and and they were a little better. #6 was cleaner than the rest but I think they just remove the mushrooms and scorpions and that was it. The cabins were dirty, cob webs in corners, and did I mention scorpions? yes we found at least 6 live scorpions between Wren and Robin. I was afraid to let my grand kids (10 mo. and 2) play on the floor. i know what rustic is. My in laws owned and ran a fishing resort in MN for years. It was old and rustic with old furnishings. But it was very clean and well maintained. However, we tried to make the best of it. We were very busy with rehearsal, rehearsal dinner and the wedding at 12:30 the next day. The wedding went well the food was great but we did feel a little rushed to get out of the secret garden room. We were told we had til 4 but they were cleaning up and boxing cake well before 3:30 while we were outside taking additional pictures. My husband father of the bride never even got cake. They also asked if we wanted the leftover food boxed up but we never got the food. I should have checked the boxes before leaving because it was all cake. Not a big deal we had the chuck wagon ride/dinner in a few hours. My daughter felt that the wedding planner that day disappeared frequently. I was disappointed with the way she introduced the wedding party. "Ladies and Gentlemen, The wedding Party" . She had notes with every bodies names. She could have used them. The chuck wagon ride was great the food was great and the girls who ran it very friendly. But upon our return to the cabins more scorpions. Our son fell asleep on the couch and put his hand under a pillow in his sleep and woke up to extreme pain in his finger only to find a scorpion under the pillow. Luckily we had googled scorpions in GA and found that scorpions found in North America are not deadly. We packed up, went to breakfast and the food was once again very good. We were approached by an older gentleman who asked how our stay was. Turns out he was the previous owner who had sold the place to his children. Very nice gentleman. We contemplated mentioning our disappointments with the place but decided against it since he no longer owned the place. We did tell the front desk about the cabins cleanliness and the scorpion issue and they just told us they would have to call the exterminator. What Forrest Hills needs is a good old fashioned scrubbing from top to bottom inside and out in all the cabins and a little attention to some needed repairs and this place would be a gem. So the final straw and reason I decide to write this review was the additional charge to my credit card I found for $200 that I did not sign for or authorize in any way shape or form. I am currently waiting for Kathy to arrive so I can find out what the charge was for. Apparently there is no way for anyone to access my account info to tell me about the charge.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Kim C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Buford, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a quick getaway to spend our 17 wedding anniversary and came across this place. I was a little reluctant at first because were are not country people but was looking for a short trip getaway. It was totally different then any places we'be to. The decor was certainly not something that I would decorate my house with but then again, this was not home. However it was very warm. The cabin was clean and very kosy and the room was pretty much what we saw on the picture at the website. Staff was friendly. We like the 2 seated tables at the dining room and the food were fine. Overall for the price paid I think it was well worth the stay and we got what we wanted witch was peace and quiet from our everyday world. We also liked that they personalized things for us witch made it special. We will certainly tell our friends and family about this place. For great value, peace and quiet from your everyday world, this is absolute catch. E&M

Room Tip: Looking for a short escape from your everyday world, look no further.....
2 Thank mona F
Groveland, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

You have to be expecting rustic, and be pleasantly surprised of the incredible views, convenience of a suite with small kitchenette, DVD player (they lend movies for free!) with the TV over the working fireplace and free firewood, CD player next to the hot tub, near the spacious bathroom with thick white towels, near the bed that had super soft sheets and an awesome mattress! We had such a great time, and couldn't believe that it came with a country breakfast and buffet dinner with melt in your mouth prime rib, too! On Sunday night, they do not provide dinner, so we ordered pizza, wings, and garlic knots from the local italian delivery place, and it was great, too! We feel so lucky to have found this place, and cannot wait to go back! Staff could not be more helpful if you asked - they bent over backwards to please us!

Room Tip: Call them and let them know what you are celebrating - the staff will get you the best possible matc...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jackson, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Me and my husband spend the weekend there this past weekend and it was so Awesome!!
We had our 19th year wedding anniversary there and it was so great!!! The people there was so nice and friendly !!! The cabin was breath taking and I sure did enjoy the fire place and We really enjoyed the hot tub in a room by itself. We had a carriage ride and it was so nice and found some good people there!! The food was so Awesome and we really enjoyed the privacy of couples only !! We sure will be going back to this place again !!!

Augusta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

My husband and I recently spent a Friday and Saturday night at the FHR in one of the cabins with the hot tub inside.
The Pros: the area is absolutely beautiful, and FHR is nestled up in the mountain. If you want peace and quiet, you'll get it. FHR is about a 20 minute drive from Dahlonega, but I counted that as a pro because the drive is gorgeous. The view from the back porch of our cabin was serene and lovely, and we had a bench swing we were able to sit on. The personnel that work at FHR were all quite friendly.

The Cons: This resort was built in the 1970s. I don't think anything has changed since then!The cabin we stayed in looked very old on the outside, but I was expecting rustic, so I didn't mind that. When we walked into the cabin we were hit with the smell of -- and I'm sorry, there is just no other way to describe it -- a nursing home. The air was very stale and old smelling. Aside from the flat screen TV, the décor and the furniture had to have been at least a decade old. The cabin desperately needed a remodeling. For the amount of money we were paying, I expected better accommodations. Another con (literally) is the two-hour trail ride. The FHR website explicitly says "these horseback rides will give the guide more freedom to teach you how to trot and canter down forest trails and back roads." I paid $140 for our two poor horses to constantly stumble over the rough terrain. I asked if we could trot and canter at the very beginning of the ride, and was told 'no' by the guide. Talk about false advertising! The food that they serve is nothing to write home about. Since it was just my husband and I, we were able to eat in the "Secret Garden Room" away from those with kids and larger parties. The dining room was nice, romantic even, but like I said, the food is nothing special (and I am not a picky eater). What FHR does is raise the cabin/hotel room rates but they include one dinner and breakfast every morning. Well, I would have preferred not to eat their food and pay a lower price, but they do not give you that option. My husband is a picky eater, so he didn't each much.

Overall, our stay at FHR wasn't bad, but I would be embarrassed to recommend it to one of my friends because of how old and expensive (for what you get) everything is.

3 Thank Kadi M
New Plymouth, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Great trip-loved thehorseback riding! Would like to visit again in the fall. The food was AMAZING!!! Staff was very helpful. I liked that we didn't have to stay both Saturday and Sunday night, like most other places would require.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AmyBuzard
Cleveland, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

This was an anniversary weekend getaway for my wife and I. We had stayed at this resort 30 years ago when we celebrated our 9th anniversary. While we did not have the same cabin it appeared that the furnishings, apart from the tv and refrigerator were could have been the same. Fortunately, we arrived on a day where the temperature did not prohibit us from opening both the front door and door leading to the deck to air out the stale odor of the cabin. We "aired out" the cabin each day. The cabin is positioned so as to provide maximum privacy even when sitting on the deck. The cabin was relatively clean with a few areas that could have benefited from some more attention. The amount of slant in the bathroom floor gave one the feeling of reclining when sitting. For a facility that offers mattresses and box springs for sale, the furnishings in the cabin we reserved was poor. True, they advertise that the speciality mattresses are placed in the "luxury" cabins and we knew we were not in one of these cabins. I did not anticipate that having a comfortable mattress was to be considered a luxury. One other tidbit if you are booking online, our cabin rental included breakfast each morning and dinner for the evening of our choice. It was readily evident in the rental description and the online pricing offers a package for adding meals to the rental package. A quiet and peaceful location but one that we are not likely to recommend to friends or visit ourselves. The condition of the cabin and amenities included in relation to the cost was poor.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ridgerunnerdoc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dahlonega
Days Inn Dahlonega
Quality Inn Dahlonega
Quality Inn Dahlonega
#7 of 8 in Dahlonega
Comfort Inn & Suites Blue Ridge

Been to Forrest Hills Mountain Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!