“Seemed good to me..”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hwy 60
Description: Porter House is North Georgia’s newest and most popular Steakhouse. Our menu features Angus Beef and Fresh Fish as well as our Burgers which are made with freshly ground steak. Porter House offers Live Acoustic Music on Friday and Saturday Nights
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My wife and I went on our way to Helen, GA one Friday evening in early November 2012. I have no idea if they've changed things up, cleared up problems, or decided to start trying harder; however, we both enjoyed our meals. The salad they bring was very good, as were the blue cheese chips we had as an appetizer. Both steaks we had, to me seemed to be better quality and had more flavor than a lot of steaks you can get at steakhouses. Let me just preface my opinion with a little bit of background. I've had good steaks and good meals before. Unlike the previous reviewer who tried to say it was good, but then went on to rate it somewhere between Golden Corral and Outback, I've had way better than that and if a place sucks I'll say so. I'm not exactly easy to please, when I'm shelling out a decent amount of money for a meal. Most of the time, in the town I live in, I don't bother going to Outback because I can get better by grilling one at home. I've been to Ruth's Chris in Atlanta and didn't think it was nearly as good as they make it out to be--especially for the price.

With all of that said, this was a very good meal. The waiter seemed slightly ackward, but I guess I am from time to time too. I don't need a waiter or waitress to stroke my ego, make me feel all warm and cozy inside, or ask me my life story; just bring me what I order, check on me, keep my drink filled, and beyond that, just shut up and go let me enjoy.

So, yeah. Don't let the other reviews stop you. Go there, give it a shot. Maybe they're hit and miss. But for what it's worth, we are going back this weekend.

1  Thank Craig E

Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

The Porter House is small in size but big on all the things that matter. It is decorated in a rustic yet cozy kind of style that seems real and not like a "theme".
The salad that comes with an entree is served family style and is one of my favorite parts of dinner here. I have tried several menu items including chicken and chopped steak and have never been disappointed. My husband's favorite is the Bourbon Sirloin.
We went last night and they had live music. I often do not consider this a plus for a restaurant, but it was very well done (not too loud and not at all obnoxious).
Always an enjoyable experience!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

They provided good basic pub food with quick friendly service. A little pricey and it can be difficult to get in on a busy night. The restaurant is located right on the popular town square and fills up quickly. The decor is dark and both times we visited the dining room was filled with a younger crowd so it can be a little loud.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

This is a good steak house on a par with good steak houses...a notch above Golder Corral but a notch below Outback. Service can be slow and toss salad is brought in a large bowl so everyone helps themselves and refills are gladly handled. The smallest steak is a 4 oz filet that is pretty darn thin but very tender. I had the New York Strip and it was OK, cooked (medium) as ordered. Atmosphere can be noisy since it is a small dining room. Overall, I'd go back but I wouldn't expect anything but a pretty ordinary steak dinner.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have never left a review on Yelp before, but I specifically came here to try to warn people to never eat at this restaurant again. My girlfriend and I were treated like second class citizens by our waiter whom, to my surprise, was the manager on duty. He looked to be about 18 years old and could care less about the quality of the food he served. He brought out our steak tips (ordered medium well) medium rare. He took it back didn't apologize and brought it back with half of the tips medium well and half of it still medium rare! He didn't apologize again and made no reference to his or the kitchens error! He must have thought we were worthless customers because of our age or ethnicity, but needless to say this place lacks even a basic level of customer service. He came back with an empty apology after being prompted for one and treated us arrogantly for the remainder of our meal. Please do not go to this establishment if you want to be treated with even the smallest modicum of respect.

1  Thank Mim S