“Great experience!”

Consolidated Gold Mine
Ranked #1 of 42 things to do in Dahlonega
More attraction details
Owner description: You and your family will enjoy a 40 minute Underground Adventure of the mine with one of our friendly and knowledgeable staff members.As you descend the stairs, you will hear tales of miner’s struggles to uncover gold deep within large Quartz veins. Your tour guide welcomes interaction from the group as you experience life as a miner at the turn of the century.After your tour, you will receive gold panning instructions from some of the best panners in the world, having won numerous awards in the field. Then you will get a chance to try if for yourself and hopefully you’ll strike it rich!While you are at the mine, don’t forget to try our “Gemstone Grubbin’” for a great family experience. Everyone will love our water powered flume boxes that quickly wash away material revealing beautiful gemstones! We have buckets for beginners and experts alike. There’s no better way to strike it rich!The Mines remain at a comfortable 60 degrees year round. As a reminder, this is a walking tour. Guests enter the mine via three flights of stairs and two ramps. Tennis shoes are recommended and closed toed shoes are a must! Flip Flops are not permitted for the Underground Adventure.Pets and strollers are not permitted in the mine.TRAVEL 200 FEET UNDERGROUND AND 100 YEARS BACK IN TIME!
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

This was our first visit to a gold mine and it was great! Our tour guide Austin was very informative and fun at the same time. The guys in the gold and gem panning area were super helpful. The gift shop was very reasonably priced. We will definitely be going back for another visit.

1 Thank Karen T

Distant 'burbs of Chicago
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

We thought we'd get 5 minutes of panning for gold that turned up nothing, and 10 minutes looking into a dark hole.

Instead, we got a nice video about how to pan, and as much time as we needed to 'work' the pan of sand they gave us. We only found a little gold, but it was interesting and done right.
There was also a short but very good video about the history of gold mining in the area, and this particular mine. The underground tour lasted about 30 minutres and was outstanding. Our guide Chris really told the story of the mine and what it was like to be a miner.

My only cautions would be that it was cool and damp in there, watch your head, and the floors were very wet and sometimes slick. Be careful and have a great time!

2 Thank GearheadJim
Marietta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“We had an amazing time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

My sister and I are 22 and 25 and just wanted to get out the city for the day so we went to Consolidated Gold Mine and by the time we walked out we were already planning another trip out there! We went on the tour and our guide was interacting with everyone, telling jokes, and making sure everyone was having a good time. There were a few little kids in our group that were having a hard time keeping quite and he never let that bother him. After the tour we spent the few extra dollars to get a better pan of gold (we went when we where little and wanted a few more than 3 flakes) and the got the $30 gem bucket. I walked away with about 12 flakes of gold, my sister 10, and gem wise was AMAZING! We both have rubys, emeralds, aquamarines, all kinds of really cool gems and when we were done with our bucket we took them inside and a nice lady sat down with us (her husband is the gem cutter, for the life of me I can not remember her name, SORRY) and she was so nice and actually told us what all we had and what we could do with them! I have and will continue to tell anyone I know that this is the place to go, and I can not wait to take my gems back and design my own piece of jewelry with the gems I found!

1 Thank Stefanie R
Atlanta, Georgia
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Historical Mine and Tons of Fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

Consolidated Gold Mine is a must-see. Miner Precious took us on a 45 minute tour of the Mine, which was very exciting and a historical learning experience, as well. It's amazing the think that young men worked in those caves for 12 hours a day. I recommend everyone visit this mine at least once, AND it's actually affordable!

1 Thank Glock19ga
Lula, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Informative Tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

Fun panning for gold. Learned a lot about gold mining history in North Georgia. Would not mind going back. Got gold fever.

1 Thank Mark B

Been to Consolidated Gold Mine? Share your experiences!