“Great Philosophy that Makes Dining a Pleasure”
Review of Marlow's Tavern

Marlow's Tavern
Ranked #10 of 270 Restaurants in Cumming
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Philosophy that Makes Dining a Pleasure”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

It was crowded on a cold Thursday night, a good sign. I was hesitant about trying a semi-chain restaurant but decided to anyway. Glad I did.
On the menu is a set of "rules". These rules are for the benefit of the guests, not so much of what you can't do. It says that the server is there to make our dining experience the best it can be. Our server definitely did that. He knew what it would take to make my family happy during our visit. Many times, especially young servers that may not have kids, don't understand some of the "nuances" of dining with kids. Cliff, our server, did and that made our experience better. Overall, I was really impressed with the staff and how to heart they took the company's philosophy. It was a nice, refreshing attitude.
Having said all that, the food was good. I filled up on beer and appetizers so I didn't eat more than a bite of my turkey burger but it was good the next day.
We started out with hummus, it tasted scratch made and it was delish. The tilapia taco was not a presentation that my daughter was used to (whole filet instead of small pieces) but the taste was good. Both kids devoured the mac & cheese.
We had a great family meal - the atmosphere is welcoming, the staff is accommodating, and food was worth the price.

• Visited January 2013

ATLANTA GA
“Not good for the price paid!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I kept hearing great things about Marlow's so we gave it a try. The food was ok but not for the price paid....the same goes for the mixed drinks and wine!

Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Food (Not So Great Service)!”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Ok, I'll start by saying the food at Marlow's restaurants is typically excellent. I usually don't enjoy the big crowd at this Cumming location, preferring instead the atmosphere at the Marlow's in Alpharetta, GA much better, but we were in the neighborhood for a movie so stopped in...again, for the food.

They used to have a Burger called the Hickory BBQ Burger (or something close to that). They traded that out on the menu for the Everything but the Kitchen Sink Burger, which was also excellent. When we went this time, no burger of it's kind. We were bummed but Marlow's will usually make for us the burger of our dreams, even if it isn't on the menu, so all we had to have was a waitress or waiter to take our order.

Though we were seated fairly quickly because we agreed to sit outside in the plastic enclosed porch area (which was quite comfortable) on their wrought iron tables that furnishes the outside (also fine), a waitress passed us up, attending to the table behind us 3 or 4 times before we flagged her down. Apparently, we were not her table....and she quickly took our order anyway!!! Really? So who is our waiter?

Finally a waiter came out and took our order. He could not have been detached. He never checked on us once and as a result we never had our glasses refilled. We were, essentially ignored. Now, we aren't the type of folks who need a lot of "waitering" but come on! Check on our drinks once why don't cha? Ugh. We rarely, and I mean very rarely, leave just a smattering of a tip but we did with this young man. It was all he could do to make eye contact!

Anyway, enough about the service. The food was excellent, as usual. We ordered some burger that was as close as we could get to the original Hickory BBQ we loved so much (pictured), except the restaurant had run out of BBQ sauce....horrors! We ordered it medium, it came medium, and was simply delicious. The also ordered the Firecracker Shrimp (pictured) which are sometimes a little greasy though these were not.

The food was once again very yummy and we'll be back and I guess, just hope for a better wait staff experience.

• Visited December 2012
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Good Find!”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stopped by for lunch on a Saturday, no wait..food was delicious- grilled chicken and steak sandwiches. Service was wonderful, very attentive. Seemed priced ok..some things were a bit high, but portions were huge. All in all we will go back, but nothing amazing compared to other options in the area.

• Visited January 2013
“I will definitely be back!”
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

I tried to find just one thing that I could offer a suggestion for improvement, but it was almost impossible. The food was amazing, the prices were very reasonable, the atmosphere was perfect; especially for entertaining for business, and the service was pristine! Chelsea did an outstanding job, timed everything perfectly and was very knowledgable about the menu - she was a true pleasure to have as our server. We were entertaining clients and no one had one bad thing to say - we all loved the food: shrimp and grits, Tavern salad with salmon, seared Ahi tuna salad, steak sandwich, and buffalo chicken wrap - all well done! The kettle chips were a huge hit with the clients....we will definitely return. My only suggestion: name tags for servers perhaps...

Been to Marlow's Tavern? Share your experiences!