“Very good, and not your typical Tex-Mex” 5 of 5 bubbles

Rio Balsas Taqueria
Ranked #26 of 266 Restaurants in Cumming
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Cumming, Georgia, United States
“Very good, and not your typical Tex-Mex”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

Based on recommendations from a friend, and the reviews on Trip Advisor, we decided to give Rio Balsas a try on TWO occasions-- and both were excellent to very good.

My wife had chicken taquitos, grilled once and with sauce once-- both "very good." On both occasions I ordered the talapia (fried) fish tacos-- "excellent."

Our server was sweet, worked hard to keep us happy and attentive. The food itself was NOT your typical Tex-Mex. Our meals were more flavorful in the use of sauces and marinades. Not your usual "brown sauce and cheese".

When you walk into the restaurant, turn right, then right again into the "hidden" room that faces the street. Quieter, less TV noise.

All in all, an "Excellent" to "Very good." HOWEVER... my wife said that Rio Balsas was "Very good to excellent", she still prefers El Rio's Texas Fajita Nachos-- grilled chicken, steak and shrimp served on a plate of nachos with cheese on top. And I would have to echo that while I found Rio Balsas to be an excellent restaurant, I'm not planning on giving up my trips to El Rio any time soon.

Enjoy!

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

“New family favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

We were headed home from church a couple of months ago and decided to give this place a try and boy were we glad we did!! Our family loves everything we've tried here and we've tried about half the menu at this point! I don't think we'll ever be able to eat average Mexican food again! Try it!! You won't be disappointed!!

2 Thank Lynsi W
“Bait & switch”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I called tonight to order some enchiladas. I was told on the phone that I could get them for $1.75. I know she got the information from someone in the back. By the time I got there they went up to $2.25 each. I asked the girl if she would honor the prices. She could not. I asked the manager on duty and he would not. I did tell them that I would report them on tripadvisor and he said go ahead. Poor service does not fare well even if the food is good. I did get my enchiladas elsewhere for $2.25. It was the principle.

• Visited November 2012
Lake Lanier, GA
“Believe the reviews-great!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

We stopped in for lunch after reading all the great reviews, my first time. Not your typical "Mexican", fresh and authentic with homemade dishes and salsas (try the tomatillo one!!). We both had steak tacos and the cheese dip. Everything was very tasty, service was great. Very friendly place that doesn't look like much from the street. I'm really looking forward to going back to try some other dishes. There have been a good many places in this location, but give this one a try. A little more expensive than some other local "Mexican" joints but the freshness and homemade dishes really are a cut above.

1 Thank JanetMegan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“So glad we finally stopped!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

My fiance and I have been driving by this place for months, but just never stopped. We finally did the other day and had one of the best Mexican meals we have ever had. Our server was on the ball as well as friendly and the food was fresh and wonderful. Since our first visit we have already been back once and plan on making this restaurant a regular "go to" place.

• Visited November 2012