“Wonderful trip - were hoping to see more horses”

Cumberland Island National Seashore
More attraction details
Owner description: Island known for its wide beaches and variety of outdoor activities.
Jacksonville, Florida
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Wonderful trip - were hoping to see more horses”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I'm not sure I would travel any great distance to get to Cumberland Island, but being that I live less than an hour away, it was a great day trip to make. We rented bikes and were mesmerized by the Spanish moss hanging over the "street" and a few wild horse sightings at first, but you can only take bikes on a certain part of the island where the trail scenery gets monotonous after awhile. We parked the bikes after lunch and walked to the ruins and beach which was great but we hardly saw any horses and NONE on the beach which was quite a disappointment as that was why we wanted to come in the first place. That being said, the beach scenery is fantastic. I would not camp here if you paid me as I heard people screaming from the freezing showers and think I would simply get bored. Overall though, this is a great place to visit - take time to learn about the history too - I applaud the families who fought to preserve this National Seashore!

Marietta, Georgia
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“One of BEST day trips I have ever taken!!”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

My friend and I visited Cumberland Island for the first time recently. We had reserved our 9:00 ferry and Land and Legacy Tour several months in advance. What a wonderful place!! The scenery and history of this national treasure is incredible. Our guide Renee was fantastic. She threw us all in a park van and took off. The sandy road was rough, but who cares, because we saw wild horses, scarlet tanagers, armadillos, alligators, wood storks, etc. She stopped at historic places and we got out while she enthralled us with the history, even acting out parts with our group. We had a tour of the First African Church (where John Kennedy married) and a private tour of Plum Orchard ( a historic Carnegie home). As a plus, on the way back we saw a foal that had just been born and she stopped while we watched. Cost of tour $15!!! Cost of experience- Priceless!!!

1 Thank dtsclark
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Really Fascinating History”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We took a day trip to Cumberland Island and were mesmerized by the scenery and the history of this Island. We took the 11:45 Ferry and returned on the 4:45 (I think, double check the times!) boat from the Sea Camp Ranger Station, where before departing you can watch a very interesting documentary on the Island entitled "Cumberland: Island in Time". If you're interested in history, I'd recommend getting this documentary on Amazon prior to visiting the Island to gain a wider perspective before your visit! Also be sure to visit the Ice House Museum for more interesting photos and stories. Really a one of a kind place that would be wonderful for camping someday!

1 Thank Kate H
Atlanta
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Breathtaking! Cumberland Island is a must-see!”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We had a fabulous trip to Cumberland Island. The beach is amazing -- wild horses, sea birds, and not a soul in sight. Great shelling as well - we found whole sand dollars, conch, lightning whelks, olives, etc. The salt marsh area is also lovely and we saw lots of animals and birds. The Dungeness Ruins are also a must-see. Whether you go for the day, camp, or stay at Greyfield, there are options for every budget. I can't wait to return!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Must Do!!!”
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

I can't believe I am native Georgian and I have never been here before. What an amazing treasure!!! Amazing landscape and close up encounters with the wildlife. The Dungeness ruins are incredible. I would highly recommend this for anyone's bucket list. We went back a second day for the Lands and Legacy tour. Another must do!