“Amazing house”

Ranked #1 of 2 Covington B&B and Inns
London
“Amazing house”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Nicole and John are amazing hosts!
We stayed in the Heat of the night room on the first floor which was lovely, comfy bed and fireplace which we could turn on by the press of a button. Great breakfast and even some cheese and wine in the afternoon. Would definitely stay at the twelve oaks again we met some great people who we will stay friends with forever!
We travelled from the Uk and couldn't have asked for anything better.... Very pleased.

• Stayed April 2013
TheTwelveOaks, Assistant Catherine at The Twelve Oaks Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, September 3, 2015
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience with us! We're so glad that you had a great stay with us and that you made lasting friendships with staff and guests. We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Pikeville, Kentucky
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I want to say that I am going to be as honest as I can in this review, because the purpose is to help people decide whether or not they want to stay here.

We booked two nights here for the past weekend. This was a girls trip getaway trip. We are both huge vampire diaries fans and wanted to stay in Covington and thought everything looked wonderful at this Bed and Breakfast.

I want to share the positive points first.

The place is just as beautiful on the outside as it is in the pictures. It will truly take your breath away when you first arrive. Also it is a great location, within very short walking distance of the "covington square" which was the main part of town (and where most of the vampire diaries was filmed-including the Mystic Grill and most of the casts houses).

Now that parts we were not so pleased with:

I think this might be a better fit for someone of the older generation. We are both in our 20-30s and it was just not what we were imagining. Some of the other reviews said that they were pampered and treated like royalty. We didn't really experience any of this. My friend is pregnant, so we had to ask for some assistance in carrying her bag upstairs. They did with no problem, but I had to carry my own, two suitcases up a flight of stairs, and we had to ask for them to help with hers. We had been staying at hotels on the way to this location, and we were asked if we wanted assistance before we could say we needed it. With all the reviews of this place, we thought it would be offered.

The house is a little bare on the inside, no rugs or anything which made the house very quiet. Like you could hear a pin drop. At one point, we were whispering in our room because we felt like we were disturbing everyone.

We had to call and discuss some things at night, because we were trying to be nice, but were a little unhappy with our stay and we were told "it was getting late". The issue is that around 11pm we wanted to take showers and there was no hot water! Like no warmth to the water at all, it was ice cold. We didn't feel comfortable after the original exchange to call and complain. I understand they have normal lives, but we paid around $200.00 a night for a stay that we felt so awkward about.

Nicole was going to make breakfast for us early because we had an appointment at 9, which I thought was very nice of her to do, but we were made to feel a little uncomfortable about that too, as if we were inconveniencing her, when we actually paid for the service. It was included in our room amount. But I will say it was nice of her to try and make breakfast early for us. We ended up not being able to stay because we had to leave for our other appointment.

We decided to lose our money on the room and go stay at the Sheraton in Atlanta for the night, because of the vampire diaries eyecon convention. We were that dissatisfied with our stay. We did ask once if we could get our money back, but accepted that we couldn't. I am a business person myself, so I know the makings of a small business.

I do think that some people would enjoy the stay here. I don't want this to come across negative, but I just want to let other people who may be looking for the same experience as us, what to expect. If you were just wanting to relax and hang around the room, this would be a good place for you. We were wanting something a little more fast paced and this was not the location for us.

When this review was originally posted, Nicole took to the twelve oaks face book page to talk about about us and say untrue things. I just thought that was very unprofessional for a business owner to do, and so I thought it warranted a mention. She did however take it down after a conversation with my friend who went with me on this trip.

I want to state again that I am not being negative, I am being truthful about MY experiences.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Jessicka A
designernicole, Owner at The Twelve Oaks Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
We try very hard to make sure that everyone has a wonderful experience here. If there was any indication from you that you had concerns about your stay, we would have gone above and beyond to address them. When you contacted me during your stay, you told me that you had found out about the Eyecon convention and party in Atlanta and that you wanted to see if you could cancel your hot stone massage and your stay the following night so that you could attend the party and not have to drive afterwards. I explained that we could not give you a refund for a last minute cancellation and asked you if you were happy with your stay. You said that it was great, but that you just wanted to go to the Eyecon convention and asked if I could try to reschedule the message for an earlier time.
At the Twelve Oaks, we try to go above and beyond. One of the examples of how we did that for you is that we made breakfast at a different time than we normally do. I was very surprised you didn’t show up for breakfast knowing that we were making it at a special time just for you. I wish you could have experienced the breakfast that our guests rave about! Another example of how we went above and beyond is that you had asked prior to your visit if you could book a hot stone message and split the hour between two people instead of paying for two 30 min. messages, which would be more expensive. I was able to get the message therapist to agree to that for you and told you we’d be happy to do it. After working this out for you, you wanted to cancel the message the night before and I told you that you would not receive a refund because the massage therapist had held that time specifically for you. You then asked me to call the massage therapist to try to get an earlier time because you didn’t want to lose the money for it. I called the massage therapist at least three times for you after 10pm the night before your massage. She did not answer the last time I called and I suggested that it was getting late and that we could try again in the morning.
At Twelve Oaks, our top priority is making sure each guest feels welcomed and completely pampered whether it is assisting with luggage, serving wine & cheese, placing chocolates in your room in the evening at turn down, etc. I know that John assisted you that day with your luggage. Guests rave about John and his southern hospitality and what a gentleman he is.
Guests of all ages love The Twelve Oaks. Whether you are in your 20’s or 30’s and come here to get a glimpse of shows or movies being filmed or whether you are a family traveling or retired, guests of all ages have told us they feel we have something for everyone. The owner’s are in their 30’s.
I am sorry that you did not have a hot shower. When we did the renovation, we installed 90% new plumbing including 220 gallons of hot water heaters to ensure that we never ran out. If you would have told us there was an issue (which you did not), we could have checked on the water heaters to see what the problem was and would have seen that one of the tanks had shut off. We realized it the next morning, turned on the tank and all was fine after that. I wish you would have communicated the problem to us so that we could have addressed it during your brief stay.
You can see all of our gorgeous antique rugs in the pictures online. We don’t have rugs absolutely everywhere because most people enjoy seeing the beautiful original hardwood floors. There were 13 people staying in the house the night of your visit. The house is very quiet because we have 175 year old, very thick plaster walls and about 4-5 feet of crawl space between each floor. If you stand in the first floor and yell for someone upstairs, they won't hear you at all (believe me, I’ve tried and I get a workout running around). Our guests love that the house is so quiet that you can't hear your neighbors and they can't hear you; it makes for a very relaxing trip and some people have told us they've slept better here than they have in years. I assure you that you don't need to whisper in your room so that people don't overhear.
We are nice folks around here; if you were having a problem, all you would have had to do is say something and we would have done whatever we needed to make your stay great. We always go above and beyond to make sure our guests are happy.

I think the bottom line is that you were unhappy that you didn't get a refund for your massage and room that you wanted to cancel at the last minute so that you could go to the Eyecon party on Saturday in Atlanta and not have to drive, which is what you told me and told John when you tried to get a refund. Your review written for the Mystic Falls tour even says that the tour operator was helping you to get rid of a room that you overbooked, which is consistent with our conversations and with what I've written. With Facebook, I never mentioned you; I said that we had our first ever bad review and it was upsetting because things you said it in were not true and I asked our many other happy customers to please write us a review if they hadn't done that yet.
Moseley, Virginia
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My daughter and I recently celebrated her 18th birthday with a trip to Atlanta. First stop was The Twelve Oaks. We arrived late in the evening, but received a warm Southern welcome, nonetheless. The homemade cupcakes decorated for spring and left on our bedside table were a special treat. We stayed in the Salvatore Brothers Suite – a beautiful room with a lovely porch for reading or just relaxing. After a wonderful night’s sleep, we enjoyed Nicole’s home-cooked breakfast including her special version of French toast, followed by a guided tour of the house and grounds. The care and detail that John and Nicole have put into their renovation is obvious throughout the house. If I can’t live in a Southern mansion myself, then this is the next best thing! I can’t wait to see the finished renovations on the third floor – we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautiful - so hard to pick just one!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CM04_HM
Thank you so much for your lovely review! We're so honored you chose to start your daughter's birthday celebration with a stay with us. We can't wait til you come back to stay with us again!
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Nicole and John would have to be the sweetest couple my wife & I have met on our 5 week Canada & USA trip from Brisbane Australia. Their recently opened B&B has been wonderfully restored and really shows off the wonderful southern historic charm of the house. They were so professional, charming and friendly and were very helpful with advice on historic tours, restaurants and even good hairdressers which kept my wife happy while I attended the golf Masters at Augusta! The rooms were lovely and well appointed, the chocolates on the pillow at night a lovely touch. Breakfast each morning was a very friendly affair with all guests enjoying delicious home cooked southern style food. Wine and cheese in the early evening was another great opportunity to mingle and chat. Would not hesitate to recommend this B&B to all travelers interested in the historic town, the movie and TV Series fans ( Vampire Diaries etc) or just some real wonderful southern hospitality in a sensational setting. We both plan on visiting again on our next US trip.

Room Tip: Go to their website to view the renovated rooms (4 different ones at present - with more to come. )W...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
I loved reading about how you felt like you were shown such great hospitality. We really do our best to ensure everyone feels right at home here. Thank you so much for your fantastic review, and we look forward to having you stay with us again!
Hindman, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This place is as stunning as the pictures show it is. Nicole and John are amazing hosts. The rooms (I stayed in two seperate rooms) are decorated very nice and the beds, well they are so comfortable they may cause you to over sleep. The breakfast Nicole gets up early to prepare are eloquent and absloutely delicious. The outside property is georgous as well. It is conveniently located within walking distance of the square, Mystic Grill and characters homes where filming takes place for The Vampire Diaries. Ask Nichole or John about their massage services and anything else on your mind because they will go above and beyond to make your stay one you will remember for the rest of your life. If you don't have a good time at Twelve Oaks Bed and Breakfast, it will be by no fault but your own.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Becky W
TheTwelveOaks, Catherine, Assistant Manager at The Twelve Oaks Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, September 3, 2015
Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I especially loved reading about how you thought the beds were so comfortable that it might cause you to over sleep. We're so glad you had a great visit and we hope you'll come back to stay again soon!
Suwanee, Georgia, United States
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 12 anniversary at the Twelve Oaks Bed & Breakfast. We had a WONDERFUL time. I fell in love with this house the moment I stepped foot on to the property. The property is gorgeous. The home is breathtaking. The interior of the house is beautifully decorated with so many special touches in each room. The owners are so WARM and FRIENDLY and absolute perfect Hosts. We loved everything from the Wine & Cheese in the evening, to the delicious breakfast that Nicole made for us in the morning. The room we stayed in was stunning. The bed was so comfortable and had the most luxurious sheets I have ever slept in! We cannot wait to return to the Twelve Oaks Bed & Breakfast, I am already planning the next trip. I HIGHLY recommend this Bed & Breakfast, you will not be dissappointed!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Megan H
TheTwelveOaks, Catherine, Assistant Manager at The Twelve Oaks Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 9, 2015
Thank you so much for your wonderful review and high commendations! We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay from the moment you set foot on the property. We can't wait for your return visit!
Portland, Maine
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of spending two nights at this wonderful B & B during our visit to Atlanta. As a Gone with the Wind fan, I was excited about staying in the house that Margaret Mitchell thought would make a terrific Twelve Oaks. We were not disappointed! When we arrived, we were greeted by John and given a tour of this incredible house. It certainly gave us a sense of the grandeur of plantation life in the South before the Civil War.
Our room was delightful. We have stayed in many B & Bs over the years and we appreciated the very roomy and comfortable bed, the high quality linens and soaps, the excellent lighting and the gas fireplace which quickly took the chill off the room. We also enjoyed the flat screen TV, wi-fi and chocolate truffles at bedtime.
Nicole and John were very hospitable hosts. We enjoyed discussing the history of the house, the renovation, interesting sites in Atlanta and local restaurants during afternoon wine and cheese and breakfast. Speaking of breakfast, we savored freshly baked biscuits each morning with homemade apple butter and pear jam. We also had biscuits and gravy one morning and stuffed french toast the next. Yum! Nicole readily dealt with my husband's egg allergy.
Nicole and John have been running this B & B for only a few months and as they become more experienced innkeepers, a few glitches will probably be ironed out. We would suggest using place-mats or a table cloth on the table during breakfast and setting each place ahead of time. We would have appreciated some cereal, milk and fresh fruit before the cooked breakfast and the option of decaf coffee. Finally, a small pitcher of half and half is more elegant than placing a carton on the table.
Overall, my husband and I had a terrific stay and plan to stay again on our next trip to Atlanta.

Room Tip: Be sure to check the bathrooms carefully. Ours had an antiques tub that some folks might have troub...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TheTwelveOaks, Owner at The Twelve Oaks Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and for the suggestions. We now use a tablecloth on the table every morning and put out granola and fresh fruit. We also have decaf coffee now available to anyone who prefers decaf. We've purchased a silver creamer and sugar set for serving as well. We enjoyed meeting you and look forward to your next visit!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Covington
Hampton Inn Covington
Hampton Inn Conyers
Hampton Inn Conyers
#2 of 15 in Conyers
Holiday Inn Express Madison

Been to The Twelve Oaks Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!