TripAdvisor
Covington
Post
Inbox
Search

“Meet me at Mama Maria's”
Review of Mama Maria's Italian Grill - CLOSED

Mama Maria's Italian Grill
Cuisines: Greek, Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Mama Maria's Italian Grill offers homemade Mediterranean and Italian dishes in Covington, Georgia.
Reviewed June 11, 2015

Meet me at mama Maria's for lunch it was very good the bread was good and warm and the spaghetti was very good and a lot of it for lunch. The salad was also nice oh yes I have a martini and it was good . Over all the service was good and the food I will be back so meet me at Maria's for lunch

Date of visit: June 2015
Paul F, Owner at Mama Maria's Italian Grill, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2015

Antisharj, Thank you your kind words and your business. Our servers and kitchen personnel really enjoy hearing that they were able to make a difference in someones day! Again, Thank You!
We will keep the bread warm and the martinis' cold for your next visit!

Reviewed June 10, 2015

First off, I don't live in Covington, I'm not affiliated with the restaurant and I'm not a regular patron as in eating there all the time. But this is a regular stop for my family on the way to visit relatives in S.C. We've eaten there multiple times over a period of five years or so, so I think I'm qualified to offer a review.

We've never had a bad bite of food there. We've never had an instance of poor service there. We will stop there again when we make the trip again.

I will concede that the place is getting a bit threadbare and is need of a little TLC (I understand it has changed ownership in the last year), although I saw no cleanliness issues on our most recent visit. The dark interior doesn't bother me, even though I know that bucks the current "bright and cheerful" trend. Honestly, I go to a restaurant to eat, not to experience the decor.

As for the food ... they've trimmed and modified the menu a bit, which is not a bad thing. But what you need to understand going in is that this is an old-school red sauce Italian restaurant where you go to eat massive piles of pasta drenched in sauce and with whatever trimmings/toppings float your boat. This is not fru-fru, Battali-esque, "I've got to watch my carbs" Italian. If you're looking for that, you'll find it 25 miles to the west in Atlanta.

I had Linguini with Marinara, no meat. The luncheon portion was massive, had to get a to-go box. If that was "canned sauce," I'd like to know the brand, I'll stock up to get that kind of richness and flavor. The wife had Chicken Marsala, which she devoured. No. 1 son had Chicken Alfredo, which he devoured. Picky No. 2 son had Ravioli with Meat, which he devoured. We also devoured the tasty sourdough-like garlic bread.

Like I said, if you're looking for those basic old-school, rib-sticking, carb-laden, decadent Italian favorites, Mama Maria's is the place for you. You want fru-fru and a few little morsels on your plate, go somewhere else.

Date of visit: June 2015
Reviewed May 23, 2015

I reealllllly wanted to have a good Italian place to go to in the area. This was a real disappointment when I ordered Fettuccine Alfredo it came covered in sauce - drowned may be a better description and it tasted like the stuff you buy in a jar at the store from a brand that rhymes with goo.

1  Thank GSUPanther
Paul F, Manager at Mama Maria's Italian Grill, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2015

GSUPanther, I am sorry you did not enjoy your meal at Mama Maria's. We have been serving this same Alfredo recipe since 2008. I realize that everything on our menu can't possibly appeal to all so I hope you will give us another chance and try a different item from our menu.
Thank you for coming in and trying us out, also thanks for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed May 17, 2015

I was tired and only wanted a sandwich so I ordered a Meatball Sandwich and it was the best tasting meatballs and roll I have had in a long time. It came with fries and everything was hot and tasty. Service was very good and I got to talk to the owner who was very nice and I told him how everything I had ordered was very good.

Date of visit: May 2015
Reviewed May 10, 2015

Worst experience. From the bad food to the lousy customer service. Salads were watery, calzone had grease continually oozing out which caused the bread to be soggy. They tried to sit a party of 7 at a table that could accommodate no more than 5 people. When I asked to sit at another table I was to.d those were for parties of 10 & 12 that were ahead of us. Funny how my name was at the top of the wait list and their names were way down the list from mine. Then the owner wanted to argue with me. BEWARE! DO NOT GO TO THIS "RESTAURANT". ITS JUST PLAIN NASTY.

Date of visit: May 2015