“Property Lacking Basics”

Lake Blackshear Resort and Golf Club
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Cordele
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a wedding in April 2013. The room was very aged, and not what I would consider clean. There was food on one of the beds and the shower did not drain properly. The door to the screened in porch did not stay closed without the safety lock being engaged. The service at the Marina Grill on the property was some of the slowest that I have ever experienced, and the food was average at best. Beyond that, the rate that I booked for online was not the rate that I paid for the room, and was unable to find anyone to speak to regarding the charges that would actually return a phone call or email. Overall not a hotel that I would stay in again or recommend to anyone that I know.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Jessica S, Front Office Manager at Lake Blackshear Resort and Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

We value your feedback about the room and overall experience. We do offer a full housekeeping staff and maintenance engineers that would have been able to assist you with the room problems you experienced. The rate that you book from an outside source does not include the resort fee that the resort charges for each room. This fee is for amenities at the resort as well as a parking fee. We are located in a state park and a parking fee is required by all guests and hotel guests. Also if you feel like your concern about the bill was not handled correctly please contact me at 1.229.401.1221, to better assist you.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Resort is located inside of Georgia Veterans Memorial State Park in Cordele, GA. The hotel is an older property that looks like maybe under relatively new management. Rooms are dated and tired but fairly large and all rooms have a lake front location and beautiful views with screened porches. Furniture is well worn but the housekeeping staff delivers a clean product. We arrived on Easter Sunday for a couple of days to just relax and play golf as there is an 18 hole golf course also on the property. Easter Brunch was available in their restaurant, Cordelias and was very busy. Food was very good and staff so pleasant. We purchased the "bed & breakfast" package which included breakfast also served in Cordelias and you could choose any entree off the breakfast menu with a beverage which is a good value. Again, the staff and service level was very good and friendly and tried very hard to make sure the customers were happy. There is a $7.00 resort fee which covers internet but very weak signal and difficult to get on. There is an outdoor and indoor pool, small fitness room and a cocktail lounge.
The marina has boat rentals and there is an outdoor grill cafe that has entertainment on the weekends in season which is just starting. There are also a few 2 bedrooms cottages to rent that are also on the lake. The park and lake are large. Several walking and bike trails with lots of trees and camping sites. There is also an excusion train next to the park that runs in season with vintage rail cars for an added attraction.
It is a great place to chill out with lots to do (or not if you just want to relax and enjoy the views) with reasonable rates.

Room Tip: Rooms on 2nd floor have great views of the lake. Most rooms have 2 double beds. Limited king beds.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thanks you for your feedback and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Lake Blackshear Resort. I am pleased to know that all your needs were met and you had a relaxing couple of days. We have many other packages that include golf, boat rides, and also dinner to choose from, for your next stay with us. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed a week in Georgia at 3 different state parks and this was the worst. The bathroom floor in our cabin was filthy. The rest was so so clean. The cabins are older but that is no excuse for being so dirty. The location was great and so was the staff we encountered. We will go back but will ask to be relocated if we get another dirty cabin.

Room Tip: inspect before settling in
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

My family & I stayed here on our way back from Orlando. We decided to ride the SAM Shoreline train & needed a place to stay for the night. We loved it! The room was clean & just enough space for us. We stayed in a villa. My son who is 6 said it was the best room ever. I would recommend it to anyone. I can always tell if a room is clean if my son makes it through the night without having to have a breathing treatment especially rooms with carpet. This room passed with flying colors. We will be back for sure!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 9, 2013

The resort is is a state parkand the property is beautiful. The rooms are a bit outdated (and ours smelled of stale smoke). My friend and I had a great time at the resort and in Cordele. We plan to return with our families and rent a cabin next time.

Pros:
Staff is very helpful and friendly
Beautiful property
SAM short line
Cordelia's has a good breakfast and the building is beautiful
Can easily rent boats
Quiet and relaxing
Clean rooms
Great view of the lake from the Villas
Pool looked nice

Cons:
One of the restaurants was closed for the winter when we were there. I do expect we will enjoy it when we return
Villa room was a little small (although it worked for us since we spent very little time there)
Room smelled like stale cigarette smoke

I will definitely return.

Room Tip: I did notice a sign that read "Non-Smoking" rooms available. I assume if you request one...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I used to love this facility for its upscale dining and decor but on a recent visit for a retreat I was shocked to see how far downhill it has gone. Peeling wallpaper, dirty public bathrooms, etc was prevalent. I know that budget cuts have influenced some of this but even the landscaping was less than par. The golf course was in terrible shape which is not the norm. If you plan to stay just be aware that it does not look like the photos on the website anymore.

Room Tip: If you do stay here, make sure to stay in the main lodge!!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Like many hotels, expectations are everything. I have stayed here a few times and found it to be quite satisfactory for my purposes...actually, very pleasant. The rooms are clean and presentable with some nice detail and attractive furnishings. The balconies are large. The restaurant has some nice meals that compete with top establishments and, yes, there are one or two dishes I would not order again. The grounds and the lake views are very expansive and pleasing. Overall, the things that matter to me most, and that is why I stay here, are very pleasing. There's always small stuff, heck, even at The Plaza before the renovation, but that is not what this little resort is about. Breathe deep, kick back, take a walk, go for a boat ride, chomp a great big broiled salmon salad, have a glass of wine on your balcony looking at the sunset and enjoy!

Room Tip: 2nd floor has balconies, 3rd floor does not. Off-season pricing is attractive.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank RePetetheDad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cordele
Best Western Colonial Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Cordele
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Cordele North
Best Western Plus Windsor Hotel
Ramada Cordele
Ramada Cordele
#3 of 16 in Cordele
Fairfield Inn & Suites Cordele

Been to Lake Blackshear Resort and Golf Club? Share your experiences!