“Great food but...”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
New Holland, Pennsylvania
“Great food but...”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Have to admit that the BBQ was some of the best we've ever had. However, it is such a wall-in-the-wall that without TripAdvisor's reviews we wouldn't have darkened the door. Would have missed some great BBQ tho if we hadn't entered. The side dishes were only mediocre and I'm not a fan of the white bread and thought it a major cop-out. The pork is chopped -- fine -- and we prefer pulled but it and the ribs were outstanding. Really appreciated the "dry" approach where you add your own sauce and how much. Had a nice selection of sauces as well. Combined two and made our own "perfect" sauce. If you are looking for fantastic BBQ, you have to try Smoakies -- but if you are looking for a nice place to dine in pleasant surroundings with above-average side dishes, don't bother.

• Visited May 2013

“Don't waste your time”
Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

We were in the area and saw that this restaurant was #1 in Cordell and we really wanted some good BBQ...well what a disappointment. I don't mind hole in the wall restaurants (sometimes they r the best) but not in this case. Me, my husband, and my kids didn't like our food...my parents ordered Brunswick stew (I still don't understand what it is) and liked theirs. I would not go again it was a big disappointment for me : (

• Visited May 2013
Orlando, FL
“Where the locals get their BBQ fix”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

If you are anything like me, you can get your fix of chain restaurants at home. When traveling I like to seek out where the locals call their own. Well Smoakies BBQ takes that right to the definition. The BBQ is indeed a labor of love and is very tasty and fall off the bone tender. With an amazing mustard base BBQ sauce on the table to season things up. The price is very reasonable considering you know that everything was home made. I also like the fact that they add two slices of old fashion white bread to sop up the juices on your plate. The building looks more like a used car lot than a restaurant, but once you enter you know you are a fly on the wall of the Deep South and a local treasure. As you eat you hear the tables greet each other as best friends, a joyful joke and a few comments about the local crops and weather. Closed on Sundays and Mondays

1 Thank Paul B
Banner Elk NC
“Good BBQ and GREAT BBQ Chicken”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The BBQ was good but the smoked chicken was fall off the bone great. The sides were delicious and the sauces were tasty. If you are traveling on interstate 75 this is the place to stop...you will not be disappointed .. Also the sweet tea is awesome...

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank admepa
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Small Town BBQ Joint”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This tiny, hole-in-the-wall BBQ Joint appeared on Google Maps in searching for destinations in Cordele. Take a LEFT off Exit 102 on I-75 S. It appears in less than a mile on the RIGHT. There is a small gravel parking lot.

We were not sure what to think of the place as there were only a few cars in the parking lot. We walked inside and were promptly greeted. Our waitress was prompt and efficient. My brother and I took advantage of the $5.00 dinner special for 1/8th lb of BBQ pork, with a bag of potato chips, and a drink. We both swapped the chips for a side like brunswick stew or cole slaw (cost $1 extra). I also tried the baked beans and the homemade banana pudding. The sides come in a small (4 oz) container.

Lots of flavor with all the food. I believe there were 4 sauces to choose from. The owner of the restaurant also came out to ask how everything was.

This is a good, small town, family owned establishment worth visiting. My brother and I were there right after 5PM and the locals were entering after 6 when we left.

• Visited January 2013