“Real country food (not for dieters!)”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Papa's Country Buffet-Conyers
Ranked #123 of 182 Restaurants in Conyers
Reviewed March 13, 2012

We had the chance to stop by Papa's Country Buffet on a recent trip out of town. I had eaten there years ago and didn't even know if it was still open but it was so we had our lunch there. Papa's is all about real country food, cooked country style. The veggies are cooked with pork or lots of butter, the biscuits are authentic, and the banana pudding is thick and substantial. My title notwithstanding, I guess you come go there and just eat off the salad bar, but why torture yourself? As soon as you smell the fried chicken and the mashed potatoes, your diet will be toast. There were several meat selections and country vegetables such as creamed corn, green beans cooked in butter, beans with pork, greens, etc. My only regret is that on the day we went there was no country fried steak which I remember to be pretty awesome. The price was very reasonable to in my opinion, three adults had lunch for $27 even (the price includes drinks and dessert). If you like country food, you can't go wrong with Papa's.

There are newer reviews for Papa's Country Buffet-Conyers

Reviewed January 6, 2012

I grew up in Lithonia, Ga a few miles down the road. We ate there every Sat and Sun for din. Saturdays catfish is great and Sunday is just like mom would make. Sweet tea is great as well. Some of the best in the south. Nice country decor style old time tables and chairs. I eat there everytime I visit home. The way it should be. Darren

Reviewed December 16, 2011

In 19 years, I have eaten at just about every restaurant in the Conyers area and one Friday my staff and I went to Papa Country buffet. While I am a foodie I'm not a snob. I have existed on MREs and T-rations in the Army and will stop a a Wendys or Taco Bell on the Road.

When you are born in the South, country cooking is comfort food. IMHO Papa's is greasy, soggy ohmygodwhendidyoulastchangethefryingoil slop. While you can find trendy upscale country food in Atlanta , a better choice for decent in Conyers would be Folks just west of exit 82 south of I-20.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is a local restaurant with a simple buffet. It has been around for at least 30 years -orginal location was on HWY 138 and then they moved to new location about 12(?) years ago. They have a simple set-up. You walk in and pay at the register for your meal and then seat yourself. The plates are at the bar along with glasses and drink station. Everything is self serve. First is a salad bar portion -buffet looks like an "L" -then vegetables, then meats and bread. I love LOVE love the corn and potatoes. Beans, and rice are a treat as well. They generally have several vegetables to choose from and then maybe two starches -mac n cheese or potatoes. The meats are last. The fried chicken is wonderful! I also love the ham. Other nights they have roast or catfish. My grandparents go just for the catfish!! The dessert is always some kind of cobbler or cake. They also have a soft serve icecream machine. They have family style sitting. Think long tables with simple wood chairs. It is a place your grandparents would approve of. I STRESS this is a simple buffet place. You serve yourself, seat yourself , get your own refills etc. The place brings backs memories of my grandmother's cooking. Love it!! If you need somewhere to take out an older guest or a simple country guest this is your place. Also-pls note this is a pet peeve of mine -the Ladies who clear your plates are not waitress' but they still clear the tables and if you went to the bar a few times thats a mess. I always leave a buck or two for them. As far as price around 10 bucks. You cannot beat it!!

Reviewed August 29, 2011

We just happened to be in Conyers at lunchtime and needed a place to eat. I guess the name should have been warning enough, but the parking lot was packed, so we figured it couldn't be TOO bad. We were wrong. The only items I found edible were the potato salad and the soft serve ice cream. The fried chicken tasted like bleach; the rice was mush. I guess people eat here because they don't have many choices.

1  Thank phpea