“For me, this is the worst hotel experience I have ever had - a disgustingly dirty room!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Commerce, GA
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Commerce
Gainesville, Florida (home of the Gators!)
Reviewed July 21, 2011

First, they have plastic sheets. Literally, sheets lined with plastic, apparently to prevent “accidents”. This may come in handy for a small few, but I found it incredibly uncomfortable. Every time I rolled over it crinkled! If that doesn’t turn you off, read on…

Towards the end of June, late at night, I check myself, wife and two Daughters into this hotel. The room was quite dirty but it was late at night, the girls were tired… We made the best of it, then we opened up the sofa bed to find it filled with crumbled potato chips, never cleaned from one of the previous visitors. When I went to the front desk to get a couple blankets for my girls I mentioned how dirty the room was and the potato chips in the bed. No apology at all. Still we made the best of it.

The next morning I spoke with the General Manager who apologized profusely about the filthy room and the potato chips in the sofa bed. She even comped the room for me. My girls made the sofa bed up so we don’t look like slobs and we left the hotel. That would have been the end of this story except for a phone call I later received.

A four full days after I checked out I received a voice mail from the same manager telling me she would have to charge me for the two blankets I took. I called back, spoke to the front desk and asked them to put me on hold while they checked the sofa bed. Sure enough, a few minutes later they came back on and said the blankets were STILL folded up in the sofa bed exactly where my Daughters had left them 4 days earlier. To put this in perspective, the same sofa bed that was filled with someone's potato chips. The same sofa bed I had complained about to the GM. In the four days since we had checked out no one had bothered opening up the sofa bed to clean it. To me this is beyond disgusting.

I registered a complaint with the corporate office of Holiday Inn. Though apologetic, they said they could do nothing about it. I gave the hotel proprietor a chance to rectify this with a phone call but was told from the hotel, via the corporate office, that “the District Manager is unavailable and will not be calling”. I am submitting this review 4 weeks after the experience.

As a Platinum member with Holiday Inn it pains me to write such a review. But a free night, free bonus points… will never make up for a dirty room and even worse follow up customer service.

Room Tip: Stay Elsewhere! Many other great hotels in Commerce!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank johndfffff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Clean room, comfortable bed, nice breakfast area and buffet. Only complaint: there were no towels in the pool area, had to walk down a very slippery hallway to the front desk(who had a little attitude) and request towels. She was upset at the water left to be cleaned up since I had to walk and ask for towels. Oh well!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Newnan, Georgia
Reviewed May 16, 2011

we have stayed at this hotel every year for the past 4 years for the drag races. the hotel is an older hotel but we have always over looked that because it was clean and mostly available. but this year was horrible. we were only able to stay one night this year so they charged us double the one night price and did not tell us till the next morning that the price would be different. the hotel itself was filthy. the bathroom was 2" in mildew on the floor and baseboards and the shower curtain was covered in mildew top to bottom. i was afraid to let anything touch me. i slept on top of the bedspread and washed everything we took with us in hot water when we got home. these people only get people to stay at their hotel 1 time a year and they take advantage of that by charging outlandish prices and give horrible service because they know they can get away with it, you have no choice. next year we will sleep in the car before we go back to this hotel. ICK!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Commerce hotels

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed February 25, 2011

Clean budget hotel, adequate and acceptable, for the price.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Clemmons, North Carolina
Reviewed January 16, 2011

My husband and I live in one state and work in another. We travel to and from our home and work at least once a month. Commerce GA is about half way between our destinations. We also travel with a 90 lb dog. It's not easy to find a clean safe hotel that will allow you to bring in an animal of that size. But the Holiday Inn Express in Commerce GA does allow our dog and we are ever so grateful. Our dog Toby is a bit of a nervous Nellie and becomes a bit neurotic during travel and in new environments. So it's important to us to make his travel as easy and comfortable for him as possible. Being able to stop at the same hotel and being certain of what we'll find is good, very good!

The staff are always friendly and gracious. Many of them now know Toby on site and act genuinely glad to see him. The rooms are spacious, clean, and have all the amenities you could ask for. TV with cable, free wireless internet, clean, spacious and most, if not all, room have a small kitchenette.

There is a heated indoor pool and hot tub, and a small fitness center with the basics. The hotel is also located close to a Tanger outlet mall and almost every known chain restaurant you can think of. We recommend Sonny's Real Pit BBQ, they offer take out so you don't have to stand in line waiting for a table.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed August 13, 2010

A fine motel. Those of us who remember the days when motels were cabins by the side of the road and you had to put 25 cents in a slot to get two hours of radio reception shouldn't complain about anything, but the HIE had two little flaws. One is that the wifi signal didn't get all the way to our room at the end of the hall on the second floor. (The one from the Fairfield Inn across the street was made it, but I didn't know the password.) The other is that the breakfast orange juice was severely watered. I stayed at a different HEI recently and the same was true--evidently, it's company policy.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed May 7, 2010

We decided to stay in Commerce rather than drive in to Atlanta on our first day on the road. This was a nice place to stay. Thee are all kinds of shopping and restaurants nearby, some with in walking distance. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple