“Great Southern Cooking”

Ranked #6 of 569 Restaurants in Columbus
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Oh how fun! Minnie's is great. Decided to try it out while passing through Columbus and so glad we did. Great fried chicken and delicious collard greens and fried corn bread. I do agree with another reviewer that the desserts aren't on the same level as the food, but with so much good food, who needs dessert anyway. I think the atmosphere is fine and suites the place. Yes the building is a bit old and in need of some repairs and the restrooms could use some work, but it's a restaurant and does what a restaurant should do: make your taste buds very happy! We will certainly be back again next time we are driving through. As good as the chicken was, I want to try the fried fish next time.

1  Thank JoEDestin_FL

Reviewed May 30, 2014

From the outside, you might not think about going in. But this place has great food and wonderful hospitality. In Southern parlance, it is a "Meat and Three" which means you get a choice of meats and a choice of three vegetable. On the day I was there, the choices were fried chicken, baked chicken, salmon cakes, and a beef dish. Excellent cornbread stuffing and cornbread. All served cafeteria style. None of the food was over seasoned.

I had the baked chicken which was moist but starting to get dry, excellent vegetables, and the cornbread stuffing with gravy. Portions are reasonable but the price is probably about $.50 - $1 higher than comparables in town. You can get a meal for just under $10 if you have water and skip the desserts.

Be prepared to move fast through the line. If you are not sure what you want, stand out of the way and read the chalkboard. Not high end utensils (all plastic). The dining room is large and country and well kept. Because this is near the government center and in the Historic District, you will see lawyers, judges, bankers, workers, all enjoying meals.

If you have never had a "Meat and Three", I suggest you try this one first.

1  Thank GreenLakerGA
Reviewed May 16, 2014

While in Columbus, a pastor friend asked me if I wanted to eat at a chain or get some of the culture. Needing all the culture I can get, I chose the latter. Good choice!

Minnie's reminds me of the old smorgasbords that preceded the buffets of today. It is nothing fancy at all, but the food is just outstanding. the ladies doing the dishing up of the food are a hoot! They make the experience all the better. If you are looking for something fancy, just move along! That's not what Minnie's is about. I had a blast!

The prices are really reasonable and the portions are generous. Doubt you will leave here hungry! It was just an enjoyable experience. If I ever get back to this area with my family, you can be sure that Minnie's will be one of the places we visit.

1  Thank haynes9
Reviewed May 12, 2014

The food is very good. The ladies behind the counters are wonderful. The place itself needs some sprucing up. But, if your in the mood for some good home cooking Minnie's is the place to go.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

This is the perfect spot to experience TRULY SOUTHERN FOOD that tastes good but is not floating in grease, lovely people behind the buffet - dessert is not always as awesome as the main courses, but the fried chicken is THE BEST you will ever wrap your lips around. Only open for lunch! Easy to find, just a few blocks from the river.

1  Thank Lynn H