“Where do I begin?”

Ranked #40 of 46 Hotels in Columbus
Fairbanks, Alaska
“Where do I begin?”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I should first note that this was a cheap hotel, so I really wasn't expecting very much. We arrived in the late evening and first thing on arrival, my son and his girlfriend witnessed a vehicle back into another in the parking lot and drive off. When they reported it to the front desk, with a description and a partial plate number of the drive-off, the desk clerk said, "I know whose car got hit. I'm sure glad I won't be here in the morning when she finds it." No indication that she intended to call the hotel guest and give them the opportunity to report it to the police.

My son said it best: "Mom, this place is kind of sketchy."

The rooms were tiny and pretty run down: the beds were uncomfortable and the sheets were so threadbare they were nearly transparent. The coffee cups in the full kitchen (one of the reasons I reserved this hotel) were cracked, one to the point that it leaked. There was a huge gap under the door, which opened to the outside, and I kept thinking about bugs crawling underneath it. It suffices to say that we didn't leave anything on the floor. There isn't daily housekeeping, which is fine, but when I tried to get a packet of coffee from the front desk, they had locked the lobby door a half hour early and when I called them they said, "We don't have any." I was able to get one off the housekeeper's cart in the morning.

People obviously smoked in the elevator, which delivered the defining moment of our stay there: The elevator opened on the ground floor and out stepped this wild-eyed old guy with a pit bull on a leash and a urine bag strapped to his leg.

Sketchy indeed.

Room Tip: Don't do it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
ESH-RDO, Owner at Extended Stay America - Columbus - Airport, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Columbus - Airport. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

We specialize in providing guests with the amenities and service they require for an enjoyable stay at an exceptional rate. In the case of housekeeping, our standard service schedule provides one full housekeeping after every seven days stayed, with the option to purchase additional housekeeping services as desired. Operating our business in this way allows us to continue offering the same great rates to which our guests have become accustomed.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed December 21, 2012

The staff are so helpful respectful and extremely nice and fun makes me feel like this is my home from home and super clean!! They are never unorganized never had a problem with my room. Everything is done to make sure that I'm happy and comfortable while I'm stay in Columbus. Its a very safe environment and location!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank AndreaLeigh89
ESH-RDO, Owner at Extended Stay America - Columbus - Airport, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to respond. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

"Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America Columbus - Airport. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority.