“Treated like Second Class because VIPs were there”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Columbus
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed December 2, 2012

From a service-oriented standpoint, this stay was perhaps the worst hotel stay that we have ever experienced. We booked a last minute hotel reservation back in the summer with an internet site that put us in a Doubletree in Florida and loved that hotel. So when choosing a hotel for a marathon in Columbus, I really wanted to stay at Doubletree. We even settled for a smoking room to stay at Doubletree.

When we arrived, we noticed that half of the parking lot was blocked off by busses. The spaces were not taken up by the busses, but rather blocked by the busses. We knew that there was a large cheerleading competition in town and figured that was the reason, but with the large crowds at the in-hotel restaurant, there was no parking for hotel guests like me.

When we arrived in the lobby, we quickly realized that UGA's football team was staying at the hotel (they were playing Auburn the next day) and during the check-in process it was evident that we were going to be treated like second-class citizens during our stay.

Earlier, I had picked up a friend’s race number at the marathon expo and called him to tell him to meet me in the hotel lobby. When my son and I returned to the front lobby to sit and wait for him, we were told that the sofas, etc were for the “players” and we could return to our rooms or go outside. The website has photos of the lobby and there was no indication that common areas would only be available to VIP guests. Needing to meet up with my friend, we were forced to stand outside in the cold.

While outside in the cold, another family with small children had also been shuffled outside. They were in town because their son was enlisting in the army. While there were other people loitering around the hotel hoping to get an autograph, etc, neither my family nor that second family even cared that a football team was there and should not have been displaced like second-class guests. Perhaps the staff should have simply asked for us to present our room key to be in the hotel common areas?

When I pulled out my phone to touch-base with the friend I was meeting, I was told that there was no photography allowed while the team was on the premises. I wasn’t even planning to take a photo! From that point on, we were intimidated by hotel staff with glares and various other verbal and non-verbal tactics as we were told “you can’t stand there”, “you can’t be here”, “you need to clear this area” etc.

Before checking out, my family wanted to sit outside on the pool deck while I showered. Nope! They weren’t allowed there either! Our family of four was basically confined to our room the entire duration of our stay.

When I book a hotel room, I assume that I have access to common areas, pool decks, and other amenities mentioned. There was no signage or any other indication that other guests would be an inconvenience if we left our rooms. I have stayed at hotels before when celebrity guests were present, but never was I treated in this manner.

I should note that I am not at all a football fan. I can’t even name a single player on that team. If the team didn’t want to be around other guests, they should have rented out the entire hotel, stayed in the meeting room where their meal was being served, or you should have simply moved other guests to one of the other properties in the area.

I am in Columbus at least twice a month for work and about half of those end up being overnight trips and I can assure you I will be staying at other brands and properties for the foreseeable future.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank jonathanbdavis
CSGDTGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests, since we work hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience. We see that you experienced an unacceptable level of service during your time with us. While we do have additional security and managers available during high traffic periods, we would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you and your family endured. We will be sure to review our policies and procedures going forward so situations like this don’t happen again, and we hope that the next time you return to the area that you’ll give us another chance. Thank you again for your comments. We certainly look forward to having you stay with us in the future!

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Our recent stay was excellent. The hotel was clean, entire staff was very friendly and helpful. Being a Diamond Hilton member definately has its rewards. The food was delicious and the entire experience was top notch.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Jgb2083
CSGDTGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

On behalf of the DoubleTree by Hilton Columbus GA, we thank you for allowing us the opportunity to accommodate you. We know you have many options when traveling to Columbus and we are pleased and proud that you chose us.

We could not have been more excited to read your review. It is truly our goal each and every day to meet and exceed your expectations. We love nothing more than making you feel like Doubletree by Hilton Columbus is your local home away from home!

Again, thank you for choosing DoubleTree by Hilton Columbus GA as your home away from home in Columbus. We certainly look forward to having you stay with us in the future!

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I had an excellent experience at this hotel. I was in town for business and the entire staff went out of their way to make sure my stay was a pleasant one. The room was always clean, the food was delicious and the drinks were well made. High marks to the staff of the DoubleTree. Thank you.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank WAG923

Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband and I go to Columbus, Ga. every year in November. We've stayed at several different hotels. The Doubletree is by far the best hotel that we've stayed at. The staff is wonderful. I left a very expensive wedding ring set in the room. We had already checked out. Within 20 minutes of leaving the hotel I received a phone call from a frantic worker letting me know that I had left my ring. I turned around and went back to get it. I really enjoyed the staff and my stay at the Doubletree. Make sure you try those delicious cookies.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank roberdor

Reviewed November 5, 2012

As a Diamond Hilton member I stay at a lot of hotels. I stay here often for work. The staff is the nicest of all the hotels I have stayed at in a lot of hotels. On a recent stay I had a wrist brace on, three different staff members offered to bring my bags to the room - they don't have bell hops either!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
CSGDTGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

On behalf of the DoubleTree by Hilton Columbus GA, we thank you for allowing us the opportunity to accommodate you. We are glad to know that our staff offered to help while our bellman was off site. We know you have many options when traveling to Columbus and we are pleased and proud that you chose us.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We go back to Columbus quite often to see our old high school friends and always stay at Doubletree Hotel. The staff is friendly, the cookies are awesome and the rooms are nicely furnished. We meet our friends in Houlihan's for drinks and always have a good time. I like the chicken Caesar salad they have. It's just an overall great place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
CSGDTGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

On behalf of the DoubleTree by Hilton Columbus GA, we thank you for allowing us the opportunity to accommodate you and be a part of you yearly tradition. We know you have many options when traveling to Columbus and we are pleased and proud that you chose us.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I rented two rooms for out-of-town wedding guests, and they had nothing but raves for this hotel. Clean, quiet, and very comfortable. I followed the advice of an earlier review and got rooms away from the dumpsters. My mother was thrilled with the friendliness of the front-desk staff and the bar personnel; she felt very welcome. My daughter, husband, and son were also complimentary.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
CSGDTGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012