“Old and Tired”

Ranked #37 of 46 Hotels in Columbus
Union, Michigan
“Old and Tired”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

This property has seen better days. The staff is courteous and friendly. but. the building is old and tired. Furniture is low quality. There is a nice pool area, all rooms are outside entry.

Room Tip: The best room is at another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
CSGAT_GM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbus-Airport, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at our facility. We are always glad to hear our customer feedback, good or not so good, so that we can improve on our customer service and accommodations.

The property is actually going on 25 years old this September, however, we do try to maintain the standards that our loyal customers have become accustomed to when staying at a Hampton Inn. In fact, we have just replaced all of our sleeper sofas, lounge chairs, desk chairs and activity chairs this week! Unfortunately, it was just a few days off from your visit but we are glad to have them for your next trip to the area and for our future guests. Then, of course, we have done several other upgrades this year including new room carpet, room artwork and repainting of the guest rooms. In addition we have completely refurbished our lobby area to the new "Hampton Perfect Mix" that is being rolled out across the country.

As you can see, while we are an older facility with the exterior entrances we do continue to maintain our property to the best of our ability. We look forward to welcoming you back again and thank you again for your feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Paid for a double room. When we opened the door it was a single King bed with a hide-a-way sofa. We called and complained and the desk person said it was all they had. We reminded them that we reserved a double and wanted a partial refund for the difference. Suddenly they "found" the correct room. We to collect our stuff and move across to another building. The satellite TV was on the blitz, so nothing to watch the desk said they were "switching over" whatever that means. We left early staying only 1 day of a two day stay but because we booked through Orbitz, they refused to refund the other day. I truly wouldn't recommend this as a stay. Did I mention it's a MOTEL with no inside accesses to elevator?

• Stayed July 2011
I do apologize about the satelight outage. It is true that we did take our television system down for about 1 hour during your stay as we converted all of our TV programming to HD. This was an upgrade from the old system that we had in place which allowed us to add additional programming at a better quality. This upgrade is one that we felt our guests would enjoy while allowing us to add value to the guest experience. Unfortunately, with a system change there is no "good" time to take down one system in order to upgrade it to another. I do apologize that it was during a time period that you were wanting to watch television. However, I do hope that you could see the dramatic difference it made once the system was restored.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed May 20, 2011

I am soldier in the United States Army and the day that I was scheduled to check in to this hotel, my mother passed away. I immediately got on a flight to Alaska. When I returned I tried to explain the unfortunate circumstances to this hotel staff; however, they still charged me $77 for a room that I never stayed in. They called it a guaranteed cancellation fee. Please beware. They will not be lenient to circumstances that are out of your control. I am really disgusted by this hotel and staff.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
CSGAT_GM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbus-Airport, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
I want to thank you for leaving feedback regarding your “no show” reservation. Unfortunately, in speaking with my management team at the property nobody has any record of this situation. I assure you that we do work very closely with our guests and the soldiers due to being only minutes from Ft Benning. As I do not have any information on exact reservation dates or the name the reservation was held I am unable to research this further. However, if you contact me at the hotel (706-576-5303) I will be glad to work with you and investigate this further for you. Unless this was a reservation booked through a third party, I am sure that I can assist you. I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 12, 2011

Okay, I'll start off by saying that this place is not a hotel, but rather a "garden style" hotel. Which is pretty much a fancy way of saying motel. Our sheets were dirty, and the bathroom was not cleaned. The people who worked there were very kind, but that doesn't make up for the non-sanitized room. It was very hard to fall asleep considering there were many late night partiers coming in from the time of 12:00am-2:00am. They were very loud, and I did not feel safe. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone, but especially people with children. Instead you should go to the Hampton Inn a few miles down the road.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank guestreviewer123
Dear Guests:

I want to first thank you for your feedback. I must say that I am suprised that the accomodations were not "clean" as shown by the information you provided here. While it is true that we are an exterior cooridoor property or as some term a "garden style" we do pride ourselves on providing clean and comfortable accomodations. In fact, even on our last health department inspection we still maintained our 100% standard for cleanliness. I do understand that the exterior entrance is not standard with our brand any longer and does confuse people. However, we do take every effort to note that we are exterior. In fact, on our main web site we have the following statement, "We are an "exterior corridor" hotel featuring 1st and 2nd floor rooms. We do not have an elevator, all 1st floor rooms are in popular demand. Please specify your floor preference when making your reservation", for this reason.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you in person and review your reservation detail. I want all of our guests to have an outstanding experience not only at our hotel but also choose to stay at Hamptons when ever they travel. So please feel free to contact me at the hotel and I will be happy to look at your reservation in more detail and see what we can do to resolve your concerns.
Reviewed January 15, 2011

The rooms have flat LCD tv and very cozy. Will defiantly stay again.

• Stayed January 2011
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon. Don't forget to try our new Belgium Waffles the next time you are here!
leland, nc
Reviewed September 16, 2010

This is one of the BEST hotels I've stayed in for quite a while. I've been on the road for a year or so, and you won't find much better than this. Excellent staff, excellent pool, excellent everything!!! I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Great rates and the staff are excellent folks...I'm here on business and there may be better hotels in town, but here is the best.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Woodrow,Texas
Reviewed August 6, 2010

I was shocked to arrive and find this was the old style motel where you park right at the door and listen to people coming and going all night. Then I got inside and found out they never clean behind the bathroom door and then looked at the tub and a shampoo ring from who knows how long was there. It made me really spooky about taking a shower. I got in bed and looked at the sheets and they were worn slap out and pilled up. I was too tired and worn out to complain or move, I just sucked it up and exhaustion put me to sleep.

This was the first time in more than 20 years of staying mostly at Hamptons that I have seen this. There must be something really wrong with the company. I am disappointed and it makes me wonder about future stays. Also, paying in advance as is now the trend gets you over a barrel when you end up in this situation.

The staff was friendly and breakfast was good and it is very near the airport and a couple of good restaurants. Maybe they are keeping this for male animals, but even my Husband noticed how dirty the bathroom was, and that is quite a statement in itself!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple