“Do NOT expect internet or local phone and other things”

and 1 more site!
Value Place Columbus Bldg. 1
Ranked #28 of 46 Hotels in Columbus
Columbus,GA
“Do NOT expect internet or local phone and other things”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

So far it's ok EXCEPT the "fast internet" BLOWS. It is a cat5 cable to the wall and I get like .025 kbps download and .0005 kbps upload. So NO WI-FI which means NO TABLETS/PHONE or laptops without a ethernet (cable) connection and it is SLOWER than 1X on a cell phone back in the early 90's and dialup (from the 80's) would be 50 times faster. They probably have just 1 ADSL line (probably 1Mbps) to share between every unit in both buildings (and there are 2, the one in the back is like 3 years old, so it's newer). They will nickle-dime you as in, don't plan on ever making a phone call from here...it's $0.30 a MINUTE, so use your cell (if you have anything other than Verizon you are [--] for service anywhere in the mountains of George/Alabama. Sprint blows and any roaming on them sucks too. AT&T is a joke here also and T-Mo/MetroPCS is like having NO CELL PHONE. Linen service, if you are going to stay more than one week go buy towels from Walmart and wash them so you save $10/week in 'Linen" charges. Anyway, it's OK here BUT there is only 1 elevator in the center of the building, but it's fast enough. The noise, as far as I can tell, has been minimal. Police have shown up a few times because some people here use this like a permanent apartment and not short-term housing, so the usual things happen. This is NOT a major city here, so EXPECT some short comings if you are used to things open 24/7 and the faster city life. They say they are going to upgrade the internet connection soon....ok, believe when I see it then I'll pay for it. TV channels are ok but you are NOT getting HBO1,2,3 or Cinemax/Showtime, you'll get Encore East/West, so still ok. For the price it's ok. Laundry facilities onsite at $1.25 wash/$1.00 dry so get quarters because there is no change machine. It's got a full size (18 cu ft) fridge, 1 cu ft micro, 2 burner stove, kitchen sink, full bath room, beds are ok. It's NOT going to be the Hilton at Downtown Disney (which cost me $150/night) in Orlando but for single working out of town, price is good. I will put some pictures up eventually because the 'staged' photos of hotels always make them look better than what is really there (and within the last 3 months). Have not had any bugs,etc. so pretty clean over all. Just need to see faster internet so I can stream netflix or something (can get Skype to work on the slower speed but that's different than surfin the net as far as network protocol is concerned in the ip stack,etc - if your non-techy then just understand it will Skype right now).
I am not dissin' this place, it's NOT run like a hotel but like a apartment building, so understand the "front desk" is open M-F 9a-6p and Sat 10a-2p and closed on Sundays, but some of the people who work here also live in the building, which is good. You will NOT be getting a made bed everyday or clean sheets/towels everyday, it's not again, the Hilton or DoubleTree. But in the end it's ok. In the end you get what you pay for and if you want that kind of service then it will cost more. I am brutally honest and have a problem of pissing people off when I tell my outlook on things but I am telling it the way I see it. So if the internet is upgraded while I am still here then I'll say it's a 3.5-4 stars out of 5 BUT right now it's like a 2.5 star. They do have flat screen tv's so you can hook your laptop to the HDMI port and watch Netflix on the tv.........WHENEVER the internet is faster...hahaha. Oh and this, if you are staying here you have to pay a $100 upfront deposit, give 24 hours notice BEFORE you leave to get your refund back and you pay by the week, so if you leave after 3 days, you will NOT get a refund because they charge by the week (or month) and not daily.
Understand this is short term (or long term with no credit check and no lease) and NOT a daily hotel.
Have fun.......

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Heather L, Guest Relations Manager at Value Place Columbus Bldg. 1, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. You are right, you were brutally honest but that's okay. We appreciate honest feedback. We know that right now the internet speed leaves a little to be desired. We are in the process of updating the internet and getting WiFi at most of our properties, including Columbus. We hope that the next time you stay with us we will have the upgraded internet.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I would like to thank you for such agood hospitality. Especiaaly i would like to than your esteem worker Natasha, she is very curteuos, professional, and pleasure to deal with. I am highly reccomend this hotel to all my soldiers and collegues who will come for training in the next half year to Ft. Benning. I also would like you nto know that Natasha is an asset to your Hotel, if she was my worker i would definitely promotes her. Thanks again
CPT. Amar

Room Tip: 2nd floor room are more quite than first floor. Do not reccomend 3rd Fl, unless you are a smoker.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Raziel A
Heather L, Guest Relations Manager at Value Place Columbus Bldg. 1, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for your feedback! We are very excited that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your experience is what we strive to show every guest when they choose Value Place. We hope to see you again in the future and thank you for all the recommendations!
Normal, IL
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Floors were very dirty. My 4 year old likes to run around bare foot, and her feet were black... But, nice bathrooms and nice appliances, Wish we could have a little bit more counter space... I didnt really enjoy that EVERYTHING costed extra.... Towels, Internet, Housekeping.... It advertises 219.99 a week, but it ends up being really about 290 to include everything... The hallways always smelt like pot, and with small children I didn't like that. Staff was friendly, but this property is geared towards making a profit, not really towards service...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Amanda c
Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate it when our guests let us know how their stay was. We are glad that we were able to meet your needs and we have addressed all of your concerns with our staff. We hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We had made reservation through their website and had a confirmation number. We called the local telephone number the day before to let them know that we would be arriving at 3pm the next day. When we arrived the very pleasant woman told me that they had sold our room that morning!! She went on to explain having a reservation with a confirmation number didn't matter and no they had no rooms but we could come back in two days and maybe they would have one for that week.

Room Tip: because they don't honor internet confirmed reservations, you should never stay at any of their...
Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Heather L, Guest Relations Manager at Value Place Columbus Bldg. 1, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
I am very sorry that we did not have a room for you. Since we are an extended stay hotel this happens on occasion. We do not ask current guests to leave. We should have handled it differently at the property and that will be addressed. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Coming from the northeast, a hotel withOUT a kitchen, fridge and spacey room would cost somewhere from 400+ with tax and all. So to find this hotel with some pretty good amenities, and to pay a total of $240 for a whole week is pretty amazing. However, when I informed a few soldiers of where I was staying and they FREAKED OUT. They were pretty paranoid of its location. I personally saw no threat, but then again I am not from the area.
Tip: If you are bringing your own towels and don't need your sheets changed for the week you stay, ask about not having the linen charge. It wasn't worth the extra $.

Room Tip: If you are a non-smoker, make sure you choose a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Heather L, Guest Relations Manager at Value Place Columbus Bldg. 1, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
We are so pleased that Value Place met your needs. We take guest safety very seriously and have policies in place to ensure our guest and employee safety. We hope that you will visit us again if you are ever in the area.
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed April 6, 2013

The first building need extermination because of the roach infestation and the internet is horrible. other than those two negatives the value place is fairly nice. the staff are friendly although a guest complained to staff because i was using incents in my room!!! Guess its a crime to make your room smell good. Other than that the stay is ok but the price isnt.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
We strive to provide the best possible stay for the most affordable price. We are happy that overall you were pleased with your stay. We take all responses seriously and appreciate you taking the time to post a review.
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Do not trust the staff especially the manager name Allen the is a snake in the grass. I and my old lady stayed their for 6 no I call an ambulance for her condition Ems & Police arrived the next Allen the P/ M evicted us and said the had smelled weed.That was a lie because the police would have search and file a report and confronted us that didn't happen. Then I had paided for the whole month and they didn't give me my money back for the Rm or my deposit back but it's not over yet I am using the legal system on them because this in not the first time this has happen @ this hotel this I know is for a fact avoid this like the plaque.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank usvetone
Heather L, Guest Relations Manager at Value Place Columbus Bldg. 1, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Our goal is to provide a clean and safe environment for our guests and maintaining a no tolerance drug policy is part of that commitment. If you send a separate email with your name and the dates of your stay, we will be happy to look into why your money was not refunded.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Value Place Columbus Bldg. 2
#17 of 46 in Columbus
Columbus Marriott
Columbus Marriott
#15 of 46 in Columbus

Been to Value Place Columbus Bldg. 1? Share your experiences!