“Garbage!!!”

Value Place Columbus Bldg. 1
Ranked #28 of 46 Hotels in Columbus
“Garbage!!!”
Reviewed April 21, 2011

My husband and I stayed there for the weekend we originally had plans on staying a week but the bed is so uncomfortable its like sleeping on a park bench. They are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP you get less than what you pay for. After coming back home I found out that they were infested with bed bugs. Hopefully I didn't bring any of those son of b!@#hs back with me! Just flat out nasty!!!!

• Stayed February 2011
3 Thank htlikefire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed September 16, 2010

This hotel charged me more than they should have/evicted me when I'd paid & I contested. They refused to attempt to resolve it. I contacted the corporate offices repeatedly & never got contacted for resolution. I filed a BBB complaint of which Value Place never responded to. As of today, the BBB shows two complaints filed against this Value Place for "Billing or Collection Issues" and Value Place has not responded to either! They also aren't a member of the BBB. You can view this yourself at this link: http://centralohio.bbb.org/Find-Business-Reviews/

Do you really want to stay at a place that won't attempt to resolve an issue? Especially a financial one?

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank FedUpNic
Columbus
Reviewed July 4, 2010

My Room Is Colder Than My Fridgerator, I took my shoes off and walked to the shower, My Feet were SOLID BLACK ON THE BOTTOM, {They dont Clean Rooms at all}. My High Speed Inernet Is 5.2Kbs ,Slower than Dial Up. My Food Is Spoiled, 65 Degrees. They charge for towels, coffee pots,Spoons,Forks Knives, The toilet Paper is Mounted 4 Feet from the Toilet (I hope you have Basketball Players Arms.The elevator doesnt work. (4 story building ) They charge for phone calls and clean up service. when I told the little snobby Girl at the front desk she said wasn't nothing she could do, I asked for another Room. She said there were not any availible , The Parking lot was almost empty. and she acted as if I was really an inconvienence . I'm surprised the Health dept. has not shut them down.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank upinu63
Hawthorne, FL
Reviewed April 7, 2010

I stayed at the VP in Columbus for 2 weeks. It was very accomidating. I didn't mind that there was only biweekly housekeeping because I liked the privacy and I kept it cleaned myself. I was able to take my linens to the front desk to be exchanged. The rooms were very clean and the staff was great. They even have someone that can help you after the office closes! The only complaint I have is the location. There is a lot of fast food spots on the same street but all other shopping is about 15 mins. away.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lilmoney123
Heather L, Manager at Value Place Columbus Bldg. 1, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
We appreciate you staying with us and are very glad to hear you had a great experience. Value Place prides itself on being clean and safe. We promise a truly affordable, incredibly clean, much safer experience that's always simple and flexible to fit your needs. Again, thank you for staying with us, wish we you well in your future travels and if you're ever in need of an extended stay we hope you'll choose Value Place.
illinois
Reviewed July 26, 2009

If you want the cheapest place in town, this is probably it. I checked a lot of places and this was the cheapest I could find. However, you get what you pay for. For starters, if you are staying long-term, they clean the rooms once every 2 weeks. You have to wash your own towels and sheets or else pay $7 a week for a linen change that you make by taking them to the front desk. Internet access is $10 a week and is not wi-fi. You have to provide the ethernet cable or else they will sell you one for $5 if they have one on hand. It would have been nice if they mentioned that when I checked in. They were sold out when I asked about one so that meant a trip to Walmart just for a cable. The public housing apartments of Booker T. Washington are less than a mile away. Don't get me wrong, there was never a problem with crime or anything like that but the area is not blessed with shopping opportunities. You shouldn't expect a Walmart or a grocery store next to public housing is my point and that is true here as well. Everything is a drive to go to unless you love fast food. There are no coffee-makers in the rooms nor can you purchase one from the front desk. There is no gym as they love to point out. Office hours are restricted. Monday through Friday is 9am to 6pm. Saturday is 10am to 2pm. Sunday they are closed. If you have a problem, you have to call the person who lives on site. Losing a key means you pay $10. Faxes cost $1 per page to send or receive. No dishwashers on site and I had to buy a dish strainer to dry my dishes since there was none. Counter space is very limited. The cupboards are bare. There is not even a plastic tray to put silverware in. All local calls cost 30 cents as do toll-free calls. There is no office center so you better have your own computer, your own printer and whatever else you need. You have to buy your own shampoo, soap, toilet paper, trash bags and the like. They provide some when you check in but don't expect it. My room had no toilet paper so it was off to Walmart right after I checked in and that was a 20 minute drive one-way. There is no lamp by the bed so I had to turn the TV on and then turn the lights off before I went to bed. Then get into bed and turn the TV off. There is a switch by the bed for a light above the bed but it is controlled by the switch by the front door. Once that switch by the door is off, the light above the bed is always off. Buy some dishwashing soap after you check in because none is provided. By now, you can get the picture.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank icahn1
GA
Reviewed July 8, 2009

I made reservations to stay for a week & thought it would be a nice place since it had a 2 burner stove microwave & a fridge. To my disbelief the hotel doesn't furnish any plates;silverware;glassware or pots & pan, I called the front desk to inquire since they have a display of everything you need for the kitchen & was told that they didn't supply those items but I could purchase a set from them for $50 dollars & I could keep it, if I am paying $50 dollars it better be mine. I have never stayed in a place that is so cheap-a foam on a bed is what they call a bed the towels were dirty & the new towels I switched out for the dirty ones had stains on them so I had to go purchase my own. The staff was rude & not helpful at all. We will never stay here again & I wouldn't recommend this place or its affiliates to anyone not even a dog!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank 1sweetgapeach
Daytona Beach, FL
Reviewed July 17, 2008

My husband and I booked this weekly rental, beginning on a Sunday and ending the following Saturday. We booked on Orbitz and were excited about the low rate for the week ($180). We arrived Sunday to find the hotel was not open Sundays?!?! No one told us that upon booking and Orbitz let us book the hotel anyways. We called Orbitz immediately and wanted to cancel the reservation, which they said would be no problem. A few days later we had a $311 charge from Value Place on the card. After long debates, they dropped the charge to the one night cancellation fee of $89. The manager was rude and would not admit they made a mistake of not informing us they would not be there on a Sunday. We are still fighting the charge through our bank. Bottom Line: DONT STAY HERE.

• Liked — new
  • Disliked — lack of customer service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank smb041708
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Value Place Columbus Bldg. 2
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Columbus/Near Fort Benning
Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#19 of 46 in Columbus
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Phenix City-Fort Benning Area
Hampton Inn & Suites Phenix City - Columbus Area
Candlewood Suites Columbus Fort Benning

Been to Value Place Columbus Bldg. 1? Share your experiences!