“Over rated”
Review of Meritage

Meritage
Reserve with OpenTable
Meritage is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 565 Restaurants in Columbus
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: W 11th Street
Description: Our goal at Meritage is to offer one of the best dining experiences in the greater Columbus area in a warm, friendly atmosphere. For every day to special occasions, for lunch to upscale casual dining, Meritage has something for everyone. Come taste the experience at Meritage. Share our passion and join us at the table.
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The food was bland and extremely overpriced. The atmosphere is very nice, but the furniture is extremely outdated. Not one to complain about furniture, but for a $100 bill for two doesn't consitute sitting at the equivalent of cafeteria tables. This venue came highly recommended but I will not extend the recommendation. Quality staff won't make up for the shortcomings.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We decided on our 43rd anniversary to try something different. We used to go there when it was Miriams ten years or so ago and decided to give it a try. On a Thursday night we go in and were greeted by the hostess who requested our telephone number. I thought it was odd but what the hell. She sat us in the dining room, there was one other table of four but otherwise it was empty and it stayed that way the entire time we were there. The menu is over ten pages long and includes an extensive array, three or four pages, of cocktails. They offer small plates and regular plates, which I find appealing, not being one for large meals. I ordered the New Orleans Style BBQ Shrimp with Spicy Herb Butter and Stone Ground Grits. Three jumbo shrimp, about a half cup of grits in a flavorful spicy sauce. Now, I did order a small plate and honestly they were large shrimp. But what do grits cost? The wife had the Baked Grouper and it was quite tasty. When we received our entrees, we asked for some bread. The waitress haltingly explained that since we came in without a reservation they would not have any but she would try to get us some. And she did. But that was strange.

1  Thank Steve D
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Without question the best fine dining in Columbus is Meritage. The good news is Meritage is moving from midtown to downtown Columbus. The shrimp appetizer is so light and crispy accompanied by a delicious remoulade sauce. The salad Nicoise with grilled rare tuna is divine.
The sea bass is outstanding as is the grilled grouper. Make sure you order the crab encroute. Meritage is a paradise for wine lovers! Excellent, extensive wine list with more high end wines being offered by the glass . Other restaurants advertise as fine dining, some that do are simply bars offering bar food , others are all show without good food but Meritage remains at the top of the list for fine dining and the most delicious food in columbus.

1  Thank Rachael645
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Incredible food, a wine list that was diverse and with a depth you would only expect in a large city in a much larger restaurant (and very affordable). Really some of the best food, and I do like my food and wine. Very relaxed environment and service was friendly--really hate the pompous nature of some servers at other facilities. This was our third visit to Columbus and after several so so restaurants, this one will be on the itinerary for every trip from now on.

I am not a chopped salad fan, but it was delicious. Most meals are available in two sizes, so you don't have to eat too much. You will regret ordering the smaller portion though as the food is so good you want more. Had to ask the server to remove the plates as I was ready to pick up the plates and lick the remnants.

They have a lunch location next door, a ground floor larger dining area with several levels and an intimate second floor that is more casual.

1  Thank floridaboy58
Reviewed January 2, 2013

On New Year's Eve, my husband and I joined my parents for an evening at Meritage. I had high expectations, since it has such a great reputation.

My review: I'm still smiling at the near perfect experience. The only imperfection is that it ended.

The servers were perfectly choreographed, creating an even flow to the evening that never felt rushed, or delayed. The wine that was paired with each course, thanks to the recommendations of certified sommelier, Faye, elevated the dining experience to an even higher level.

Chef Ashley finessed food that rivaled any trattoria near my home in northern Italy.

When in Columbus...eat as the Romans!

1  Thank headedtoitaly