“The best you can get for $50 a night - and it takes pets.”

Motel 6 Columbus - Downtown
Ranked #43 of 46 Hotels in Columbus
Lithonia, Georgia
“The best you can get for $50 a night - and it takes pets.”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I was looking for a 5 star hotel for myself and my cat. I started with the top rated hotels as listed on Tripadvisor. When I asked if they accepted pets, they laughed at me, or charged a whopping $150 non-refundable pet "deposit." So I went down to 4 stars. No takers. 3 stars? Nah. I finally came to Days Inn. It was pretty much at the bottom of the list. I was expecting to take a few fleas home with me.

I was immediately surprised by a really nice, large, lobby. I noted a computer for the use of the guests. I didn't need it, as I brought my laptop, but I was accommodated by not one, but two free internet connections.

The hotel is old. There is nothing they can do about that but make do. But it is in perfect repair, and unlike the reports of some others, I found it spotless. The bed was hard. I like beds hard. The water was hot. The toilet flushed. The cable had 75 channels. What more can you ask for at $50 a night?

The staff was friendly to the extreme. The only complaints I have are (1) there was a sign on the 2nd floor with an arrow to "Ice & Vending." I found the ice, but I never could find the vending. (2) The machines in the lobby didn't have Mountain Dew. Then again, no machine in Georgia has Mountain Dew - I think to sell a Pepsi product in Georgia is considered disloyal to Coca-Cola.

Contrary to what another review stated, this motel is in an excellent location. It is in the Historical District, walking distance to Columbus University and the Ma Rainey House. It is ten blocks from the Loft (best restaurant in Columbus) and several trendy eateries where you can get a $15 salad.

This is not the hotel to book for a prospective employee coming from out of town for an interview. On the other hand, if you are on a tight budget, I don't think you can do any better. I am impressed that the staff monitors these reviews and takes the time to reply. Within the limitations of the price, I have no problem recommending the Days Inn. If you have a pet and don't especially want to sneak it in and risk the maid finding it when you are away, and refuse to pay $150 for a room and then another $150 for the pet, you have no choice - you will end up there.

If the staff reads this, Fluffy and I thank you for an enjoyable two days.

Room Tip: Don't accept a low number, they are a two mile walk to the elevator.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Yogi P, Front Desk at Motel 6 Columbus - Downtown, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
We appreciate your positive feedback and we Thank You for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We strive here at the Days Inn on service and affordable accommodations we hope to See you and Mrs. Fluffy again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Lewiston
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Dirty bathroom, springs of bed poking into you as you sleep, and a cockroach visitor in the morning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Yogi P, Front Desk at Motel 6 Columbus - Downtown, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
First of all I would like to apologize for the troubles you had at our Days Inn. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. So we can make positive changes that will impact our guest stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Courtyard Columbus Phenix City/Riverfront
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Phenix City-Fort Benning Area
Super 8 Phenix City
Super 8 Phenix City
#4 of 9 in Phenix City

Been to Motel 6 Columbus - Downtown? Share your experiences!