“Inconvenience vs. real problems”
Review of Columbus Marriott

Columbus Marriott
Ranked #13 of 46 Hotels in Columbus
Atlanta, Georgia
“Inconvenience vs. real problems”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I've stayed at Marriotts for 30+ years and was awarded lifetime Platinum status which usually conveys some small perks. But on a recent leisure stay here with my wife I was a bit miffed at several things which I'd taken for granted. When I mentioned this casually-not as a complaint-to the woman at the front desk in the course of something else, I was surprised to soon be greeted by a woman with the title of Executive Assistant. She inquired as to my "problem/problems" which I told her were just inconveniences. The upshot? She made everything right and even followed up personally when she spotted my wife and me later that day in the lobby. None of the issues would have been enough to rate a bad review, just no review. Things happen, right? But their speedy resolution and the extra effort by staff to do right by the customer can make for a really great stay. Oh yeah, the rooms were fine and the location is the best in Columbus.

Room Tip: Opt for a room on the south side.There's a railroad train (as in Diesel locomotive and freight c...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cecil W, Front Office Manager at Columbus Marriott, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Its people like you that make us a Marriott roneill000 and its your input that keeps us in the right. The Executive Assistant you met was Miss Ann and I couldn’t think of anyone better you could have met on your trip here to Columbus she truly is an asset to our team. I hate that we couldn’t fully satisfy from the beginning but only by pointing out any issues or problems can we improve. Your review will used as a reference to all of our team members as an example of how important that “extra effort” can turn a negative situation into a positive outcome.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 13, 2012

First the good- Friendly staff, nice lobby, comfortable beds, and nice treadmills in the gym. Unfortunately those positives couldn't make up for a building that is clearly showing its age: Only 1 elevator was functioning, the connecting doors are paper thin, hot water was non-existant one morning, and the rooms are starting to show severe signs of wear.

The first room I was given had a connecting door- I could hear the guy in the next room like he was actually in my room. I asked for a new room without a connecting door and they were able to accommodate me. Unfortunately the new room, while quiet, was musty smelling, missing closet doors, and had moldy caulk in the tub. Additionally they were "out" of shampoo during my stay.

I tried room service for breakfast one morning- the food quality was average but the service was excellent. The on-site restaurant was fine; the draft beer selection was really bland but was otherwise decent- the waitress working breakfast was top notch.

The "Mill Rooms" section of the hotel appears to be undergoing a full remodel; I'd suggest trying out those rooms once the remodeling is completed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
wisconsin
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I want to say this is a very classy hotel. They do anything they can to make your stay exceptional. The rooms are very clean, and the staff was very good about all the stuff we had in our room. they were very accomodating to the military staff and there families. I cant say enough great things about this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I was here from Arizona for training. the rooms are really dated and worn..the closet mirror was falling apart, see my picture of the dirty vent. stayed in the section that I believe they call "mill suites". The only good thing about this hotel is Starbucks and the breakfast buffet at Houlihan's. The breakfast was delicious and fresh every morning, we received breakfast coupons at check in. I didn't think to ask to be moved since I was busy with my work schedule and it was only for two days. I think it is a perfect location and lovely lobby but needs a refresh/remodel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Cecil W, Front Office Manager at Columbus Marriott, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you GoodGirl34 and even though we didn’t meet your level of satisfaction I am still grateful for your response. I am also happy to inform you that the Mill-Side of our property that you refer to will be the next step in our renovations. From comments and concerns from guest like you we recognized a need for a little update and we are acting on it! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our Starbucks and our Houlihans restaurant and I would like to let you know that we have so much more to offer and I hope to have you here in the future so that we may show you all our hotel can do. I invite you back GoodGirl34 and please give us the opportunity to show what the Historic Columbus Marriott is all about.
holmes beach, fl
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Where do I start ? There is so much to love about staying in this Marriott, beginning with the warm greeting from the front desk person, Drew? He defines the word "Hospitality", Drew was efficient, made sure we had help with our luggage , gave us a great room with a view of Historic downtown and gave us suggestions of where to take a walk down by the river.
My husband and I enjoyed that Riverwalk and saw the convention center across the street from the hotel and the University also steps away.
When we returned, we had a great meal in Houlihans Restaurant located in the beautiful lobby of our hotel The menu had so many selections, that it was hard to choose.
Don't miss staying at this Hotel!

Room Tip: High floor with view of the City
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello mayrealtor and welcome to the Historic Downtown Marriott!!
I thank you for taking the time out of your day to write a response on our hotel and I thank you for your kind words! Hospitality is something we do here in the south and I’m glad you had the opportunity to meet Drew, one of our front desk clerks that know s all about it! I understand you have many choices when coming to town and I thank you for making us your choice. I will be sure to show your response to the rest of the team here so they all know what people are saying about all of their hard work. Y’all come back now!
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I had the Residence Inn in north Columbus booked bc I've always had a great experience with them but we decided to stay at the Columbus Marriott downtown to try something new. Service was great, they even gave me a little early birthday present as a reward member :-), and the room was more than adequate BUT the walls are so thin!!! I can hear EVERYTHING the people on either side of me are doing...last night we could hear their tv so clearly we knew they were watching the weather channel lol This morning as I'm working in my room on my laptop I hear rustling sounds in the bathroom and I kid you not I had to look behind me to make sure my husband was still in bed because it sounded like it was someone in my bathroom...nope! Just the neighbor taking a shower and brushing their teeth. Also, our room faces the large back parking lot and I hadn't planned to get up so early on my vacation but was awakened at 7am by a delivery truck with the reverse alarm going off like 2-3 minutes straight. Really?! Maybe we were just unfortunate in our room placing but I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed. If it wasn't for the thin walls I'd make this my go to hotel for the area but I think I'll stick with Residence Inn in the future.

Room Tip: Get something on the corner (one less neighbor to worry about with the super thin walls) and avoid f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello kandice292 and thanks for your review!
I hate that we disappointed you on your first stay with us but rest assured that we will work on the concerns you have expressed to improve future visits for all of our guests and to hopefully bring you back to stay with us. This is not the case with all of our rooms but its your voice that gives us the chance to correct some of these things and isolate problems. We will be going through renovations through December and your particular problem will most defiantly be on my list of concerns to be expressed at these meetings. With your review and your concerns we are provided with vital information needed to prevent these things from happening again. I hope that you come back and see us in the future and be sure to let me know and I’ll make sure that we have you in a room free of beeping trucks and noisy neighbors!
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I recently stayed here with a group, and loved the hotel's older charm. It has been nicely taken care of with a fairly modern renovation of it's guest rooms. I stayed on the concierge floor, which had robes, a fridge, microwave, and extra bath amenities such as vanity kits, mouthwash, body wash, etc. that do not come in the standard rooms. Hot water seems to have been upgraded as it was steaming instantly!

The elevators are a little sketchy. They are clearly marked to not put more than 6 people in them. Take this seriously, as we had some people get stuck for almost 2 hours because they had a few more than 6 in the car.

The concierge lounge is key accessible 24/7 despite it being closed on the weekend. There was nothing out like drinks or snacks over the weekend, so I cannot comment on this. Some properties leave bottled water and cereal out over the weekends, but not here.

The group had 4 people to each room with 2 double beds. The hotel claimed they could only make 2 keys to each room, which bogged my mind as I have never heard this before in my life. They claim it is due to aging technology. Maybe it is time for an upgrade. This made keeping track of keys and room access very hard for 4 people on different schedules. Very inconvenient I must say.

My biggest gripe is the beds. Unless you like to REALLY cuddle with your bed-mate, do not plan on putting more than 2 people in a room with 2 double beds. These beds are so small, they are just slightly bigger than a twin. People had to sleep on the floor in order to not be on top of each other. You could probably get 2 kids into one of these beds, but that is it. There seems to be plenty of space in the rooms for slightly larger beds. Just a few more inches would suffice.

Overall, not a bad hotel. Everyone here seems nice and very willing to help. Just a few kinks need to be worked out, and they will have the perfect hotel!

Room Tip: Concierge rooms have more amenities. Rooms ending in 50's+ are in a separate building. No rooms...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
I thank you joepercussion for your review on our hotel. More importantly we do appreciate your feedback and suggestions. It’s this kind of input that is vital for a business like ours to grow and your words have not fallen on deaf ears. With some of the coming upgrades and renovations we will be able to address your concerns about the bed sizes in our double rooms so that we may better meet the needs of our guest. I have personally made note about the concierge lounge being stocked for the weekends when its closed so even if we are not providing the one on one service, amenity’s are still available for guest that have requested the option. I invite you back any time joepercussion and I hope we will be able to better meet your requests in the future and I thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Courtyard Columbus Phenix City/Riverfront
Hampton Inn Columbus/South-Fort Benning
Hilton Garden Inn Columbus
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus - Fort Benning
Hampton Inn & Suites Phenix City - Columbus Area
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Columbus

Been to Columbus Marriott? Share your experiences!