“One of the Best in Columbus”
Review of Epic

Epic
Ranked #9 of 568 Restaurants in Columbus
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 4, 2014

The food here is creative and excellent. Everything I have had on the menu is enjoyable. The service and atmosphere are the best in Columbus. I highly recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank offthepath1224

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We had a wonderful dinner on Valentine's Day this year, but something must have been off either in the kitchen or with the service for the evening. The food was excellent, but the food service was extremely slow. Maybe there was a problem in the kitchen or with the servers? Who knows, since we had very little contact with any of the servers (i.e. we felt ignored). We were even joking that our server must have quit and took our order with him! The only server who was consistently attentive during the evening was the gentleman refilling water...he was very attentive and professional.

The gentleman who took our order initially only appeared again once or twice during the evening and seemed to be under a good deal of stress. It was a good thing we didn't come into Epic hungry because It ended up taking 3 hrs to receive our entrees! Appetizers and desserts were prompt, just the entrees seemed to have a problem. There were at least two couples who came in after us who finished eating and left before we ever received our entrees, so not everyone had the same experience that we did.

We felt really bad for all of the people waiting for tables when we left (there were many!). We heard one diner ask about how much longer the wait would be for their reservation and he was told that the diners we were all just lingering and that the restaurant couldn't help it. I was torn between saying that we weren't lingering, we were just waiting a very long time for our meals. On the flip side, I also wanted to tell them that the food was worth the wait, so be patient.

I would recommend this restaurant for a quiet evening out, just not on a busy night like Valentine's Day.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

One of the places where I could experience real European standard of cooking in Columbus! The service is excellent as well! The staff is professional ! It is totally worth the money!

2  Thank Olga01541
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This is definitely one of Columbus's best restaurants. My husband and I enjoyed a very romantic anniversary dinner there. Service was polite and overall impeccable. Epic has a delicious and unique menu (my husband had the bison, I had the pork), and I particularly enjoyed the creative cocktail list. However, it was very expensive - too expensive for what it was, and where it was (no one needs to spend that much money on dinner in Columbus.) Check out Meritage nearby. I think the food is better there, especially for the price.

3  Thank Pamela J
Reviewed January 19, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a nice, romantic dinner here. Easily the finest dining experience available currently in Columbus. A few miscues, which is why I did not rate the experience a 5. We were seated right away (we did have a reservation) and the beverage server immediately poured us water, after asking if we wanted still or sparkling. He also brought out small cups of warm apple cider. We started with delicious cocktails from their specialty menu. The wine list is quite extensive, but we stuck with one drink and then water. Carson, our server, was friendly and knowledgeable. He went over the menu extensively. I would have preferred a shorter listing of the highlights and then the ability to ask questions if we had any. We both chose off the Prix Fixe menu. A beef tartare amuse bouche was brought out. I would have happily eaten a full portion, I enjoyed the single bite so much! We both had the salad with fried green tomatoes. Delicious! The tomatoes were perfectly cooked and the dollops of dressing on the plate were tasty and just enough. For our entrees, we bot chose the seafood paella. On the menu it is listed as prepared with swordfish, shrimp, lobster, and chorizo. When he was explaining the menu, Carson said scallops were included. I even said "scallops? I think that sells it for me!" When the paella arrived, Carson presented it again saying scallops were included. I can assure you that there was nary a scallop in either of our portions. There was a nice little swordfish steak, which was absolutely delicious. Perhaps a little too much salt, but it was tender and juicy. Not dried out like I usually find swordfish to be. There was also one large, not quite jumbo, shrimp and what appeared to be a langostino tail. I only found one small coin of chorizo. The rice was creamy and flavorful, full of firm green peas and bits of red bell pepper. It was served with two tasty pieces of toasted garlic foccacia. After our entrees arrived, the bread service was brought. I would have preferred that it had arrived when we had our salads or between courses. It seemed strange to have bread brought when our entrees included the foccacia. But the bread was tasty no matter the timing. For dessert, I chose the chocolate torte which was the highlight of the meal for me. So rich, moist and chocolatey! I also ordered a decaf coffee, which came a few minutes after the desserts arrived. I had my own little press pot of fabulous coffee served with a cute little plate of cinnamon sticks, white and brown sugar cubes, sweetener packets, and a rock sugar swizzle stick. My husband chose the tempura strawberries for his dessert and seemed pleased with it. I had a taste and think my choice was the better one! Once our check was brought, we noticed that we had been charged for a dessert that we did not order. It took a few minutes for Carson to reappear, he was very apologetic about the error and took care of it right away. Overall, it was a wonderful experience and we look forward to going back.

3  Thank Ellester43
Jamie K, Owner at Epic, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Hello!
Thank you for your review of EPIC. As always, we are very much interested in our guests feedback regarding our food, service, etc. We have educated our staff to be both knowledgeable of each dish prepared and it's ingredients in order to properly answer any questions a guest may have. I take your critique of the food and the service to heart and will be discussing with my staff each point you have made.

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you back at EPIC.

Kindest Regards,