“Best Seafood in town!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 30, 2009

Growing up a stones throw from the Gulf Coast, the generic seafood places in town just dont cut it for me. The Market was a great find. My wife and I ate there when it was on Manhester, and now that they are downtown we continue that tradition. Their signature dish is horseradish grouper(actually sway if you want to split hairs). The clam basket appetizer is almost enough for a meal in and of itself, and you can't beat their fried okra. We usually go for lunch, as dinner can be a bit pricey, but this is one case of you get what you pay for. Certainly the best seafood in miles and well worth the cost, but dont expect budget pricing. Great atmosphere, love the fish tank!

1  Thank athomeinthepines
There are newer reviews for The Market UPtown Columbus

Reviewed September 13, 2009

The market began as a fresh seafood market that had a 2 table eating area that served basically a fish sandwich. It grew into a small restaurant, moved to it's current location, then became a seafood restaurant. It is in a restored area of downtown Columbus, GA.

The restaurant is a bit on the noisy side as sound echos inside. As any of you who might follow my reviews know, noisy restaurants are a pet peeve of mine. I like to be able to talk with those at the table with me without shouting. The ambiance is very nice, aside from the noise level.

They offer a full bar. Drinks are on the expensive side. Tonight, a glass of house merlot cost $10! A 7&7 cost $6.

Occasionally, parking is an issue depending on what is going in the downtown area. It isn't unusual to circle the block a time or two looking for a parking spot. Tonight, nothing was going on and there were plenty of spaces.

Tonight was probably the worst food I've had there. The gumbo barely warm and was watery and tasteless. The hushpuppies were warm. The shrimp were average as was the slaw and fries. Not sure what was going on tonight. Usually I would rate their food at least a 4 out of 5. Not so tonight.

They advertise "fresh" seafood. Some of it may be, but my definition of fresh is no more than a day or two old and never frozen. I believe that Mahi Mahi is rarely, if ever, fresh in this part of the country, yet it is often said to be "fresh". If pressed about the issue they will admit to "fresh frozen". They offer a fish they call Sway. I have never heard of Sway an in searching fish charts and lists, I've never been able to find a fish called Sway. I suspect it is various varieties of white fish.

The service is typically good. Tonight's waitress was attentive and did a good job.

The Market is typically worth a try. I don't want to write them off due to one bad visit, but tonight was a real disappointment.

2  Thank BayouCharley