“Be prepared to be locked out”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus - Fort Benning
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Came here for my daughters wedding. Kept having issues with the from keys. The front desk must b used to it because if u go up to the front desk and ask for another key and give th ur room number they just give u another one. They don't ask u for ID or the name on the room or anything. Kind of creepy. Also I brought my dog and the box to let u back inside of the hotel where the pet area is was broken. There is NO OTHER way to get anywhere else. There are ten foot fences and the gates are padlocked shut so I just had to wait outside for an hour unt someone walked out of their room to let me in. And what is the deal with different pricing for each nite? Not what i got I. The Internet. Probably would not go back here.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank MzLadybug
HIEXCFB, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus - Fort Benning, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your expierence here at the hotel. I am very sorry for the inconvience you had with the keys and our door. I do thank you for bringing these concerns to us and ensure you that it is our policy to get ID before giving a key to any room and will be looking into this to make sure it does not happen again. I do hope that you will come back to visit us so we can show you we know how to do it the right way and i apologize that you did not get the level of service that our hotel as a whole strive to give. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to email us at gec@hiexcolumbusga.com. Thank you again for your time.

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Just stopped for a night on way to FL. Its an ok hotel in a good location if you are heading this way to Florida or if you need to be close to Ft Benning. Nothing special but nothing bad. Clean, safe & comfortable. The road noise is a little loud if you have a front side room. Might stay here again if passing thru. Price was a little high v/s the near by competition & location. Used the Expedia mobile app and got a $40 savings v/s the front desk offer or the HIexp website.

• Stayed: July 2013
HIEXCFB, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus - Fort Benning, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment. As we are a customer service driven business we are glad to hear any type of feedback that can help us improve. Thank you again for your time and business.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The hotel is in still relatively new and in good condition. It is a nice hotel about a mile from Ft. Benning. We had a 2 bed Queen Suite and it met our needs. My one comment would be the sitting area lacked sufficient lighting so we had to move a lamp from the bedroom area. The breakfast is a nice treat and was stocked on a busy Saturday morning. We were on a non-smoking floor, but we could smell cigarette smoke coming from one of the adjacent rooms. It was n't too bad, but still noticeable in the halls. I applaud the hotels that have gone entirely smoke free. I know these lower tier hotels haven't made the leap yet, but it is a more enjoyable experience for those of us who do not smoke.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
HIEXCFB, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus - Fort Benning, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

We do apoligize for the smoke smell in the hallway. We try to prevent people from smoking on our non-smoking floors but unfortuantely it does happen from time to time. We are happy to let you know that we are in the process of becoming a smoke-free hotel!!! Thank you for the letting us know how we are doing and we hope that you will come back and visit us.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed here Mother's Day weekend and again Father's Day weekend to visit our son at Ft. Benning. The location is fantastic, just minutes from Sand Hill and main base. Hotel is new, clean, and staff is fantastic. Breakfast area was clean, food was correct temp and fully stocked. We enjoyed our stay and will continue to stay here when we visit the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BevB6634
HIEXCFB, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus - Fort Benning, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Thank you for your great critiques and especially for the comments regarding my staff. I am very proud of them and appreciate so much hearing/reading compliments about them. Again, thank you.

From the Heart,

Reviewed June 1, 2013

If you have a big military family like mine and want to treat them right, this is definitely the place to go. The staff was great and the hotel was just amazing. It took us only like two minutes or so to get to Ft. Benning as well. Will be coming back here next time around

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank JoeJohnson2
HIEXCFB, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus - Fort Benning, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your recent comments!! We strive to deliver impeccable service each and every time. Our location truly is one of the best, convenient to the Military Fort, recreation & shopping!
We hope to welcome you back to Ft. Benning soon!

Thanks Again!

Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed here for 2 days for my husband's graduation and the hotel was very nice and clean. The staff was great as well. Even though the hotel is located on a busy road, the noise level was very low. The only thing the hotel lacks is a restuarant/bar area. The hotel staff recommended a hole-in-the-wall mexican restuarant a block away but the restuarant wasn't clean, the food was mediocre and the waiters were not friendly.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank FrequentTraveler554
HIEXCFB, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus - Fort Benning, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Thank you so much for taking time to post your lovely feedback. I am always delighted to hear compliments regarding our staff. It's unfortunate that Vallartas Mexican Restaurant did not meet your expectations; next time you're in town, please see me for some dining I know you'll love. Currently, our management team has a Manager's Reception in the making and we expect to launch no later than this fall. I am sure next time you visit us you'll notice a significant change! My team and I look forward to your next stay.

Best Regards,

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed here in March for family day and again in April for graduation. Made reservations for both in February. Paid in advance. Found out in March that grads have to leave right after graduation so I needed to amend the April reservation. Although I was giving them more than a month's notice, I was told that since I prepaid, I would not be able to get a refund for the two days I would not need the room. I even called customer service and they still refused to give a refund. When I said that the policy wasn't clear, I was told that it is difficult to find on the website. Upon checkout, I ended up giving the remaining two days to a soldier who was having trouble booking a room. At least they let me gift it to a soldier, so it worked out in the end. A warning that prepaying is not always a good idea due to hidden catches.

The hotel is nice, probably one of the best places to stay close to Fort Benning. Comfortable room (I had a king suite), pretty good breakfast, good business center and friendly staff. Although I am a priority club member, I was not recognized as such upon check in. One complaint is the use of very strong cleaning chemical smells in the lobby and hallways. Can be a problem for those who are sensitive to chemicals.

Room Tip: I've stayed on both the 3rd and 4th floors. Preferred the 4th because the window was not obstruc...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
HIEXCFB, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus - Fort Benning, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for posting your review via Trip Advisor regarding your experience with the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Columbus - Ft. Benning, GA. As a Priority Club Rewards member, you are one of our most important guests, and we greatly appreciate you taking the time to let other potential guests know how pleasant your stay was. Please accept my sincere apology that your Priority Club status was not acknowledged at time of check-in. I will be buffing my staff to ensure that you are given the respect you deserve your next visit.

It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. I am forwarding your comments to all managers at our hotel to make them aware of the impact the advanced purchase rate restriction is having on our guests, and I apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused you.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose IHG for your future travel needs.

CSGFB