Candlewood Suites Columbus Fort Benning
Ranked #28 of 47 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I made this reservation a few weeks ago through the IHG's (their parent company) toll-free number as I am a member through Holiday Inn. BIG MISTAKE. I should have booked with the hotel directly. When I arrived, I was told that (a) my and my daughter's rooms were on separate floors. The IHG guy assured me that they would be on same floor if not adjoining. When the IHG folks reserved it they put me as "run of the house" which basically means anywhere we can be squeezed in. This takes to (b) I was given a smoking room when I was adamant to the reservation guy that I am highly allergic to smoke. After I brought the front desk clerk to show what I was talking about, she immediately found some of the industrial strength air freshener/cleaner and went to work. The next day I had fresh pillows, linens, blankets, etc PLUS another round of the air cleaner. MUCH BETTER. On way out, I had the pleasure of meeting the hotel's GM (I was bringing cookies to the girls who worked so hard on my behalf). He was insistent on making it right... AND HOW!! I won't say exactly what he did, but it was MORE than generous!!!
I was VERY pleased to have met these folks and look forward to another stay should I have the pleasure of traveling this way again

Room Tip: Make reservations early and ensure it's directly with the property.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Michelle D, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2014

Hello Todd,

I'm so happy to hear that you were well taken care of! It can be daunting to arrive at a hotel after traveling and have these issues arise. We take pride in having a helpful, friendly, and efficient staff, and I am thrilled to see this kind of feedback! It's important to us to take care of our guests and to go the extra mile, and our staff certainly did that. Thank you for mentioning our GM! He always does his best to ensure our guests are happy, and does not hesitate to make an introduction and make it known that he is here to help as needed. I am glad that he helped you to your satisfaction, thus providing you with hopefully a more relaxing stay than anticipated after the issues upon arrival. We hope you will consider us in the future should you visit the area again!

Best regards,

Michelle D.
Director of Sales

Reviewed August 5, 2014

I stayed here for a couple nights during my husband's Ranger School pass. The rooms are large, comfortable, and attractive. It is very close and easy to get to Ft. Benning, especially the Harmony Church area and Ranger school area. Also close to Ranger Joe's and Commando's. The area itself is not very nice, but the parking lot is well-lit and I felt safe going to and from my car even at 6 months pregnant! The staff was friendly and helpful. They also have a little shopette and laundry and a nice workout room. I highly recommend this hotel, especially for anyone going to and from Ft. Benning!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Hello Fran,

I'm very happy to read your kind words regarding our hotel, thank you! I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of our free laundry and our store, or as you called it, a "shopette ", which I like the sound of! We take pride in having a property where people can feel comfortable, cozy, and secure, and I see we provided that for you, and that's wonderful. Thank you, also, for the kind words about our staff, as they are happy to help and make our guests happy. Congratulations on your upcoming new addition, we hope to see the whole family in the future should you return to the area!

Best wishes,

Michelle D.
Director of Sales

Reviewed July 31, 2014

My rating of the property itself is good, my rating of my overall stay/experience is very bad! Checked in on 7/24 for family day, as my son is in Basic training. Everything seemed quite nice, clean rooms, pleasant staff. The next day decided to go ahead and "reserve" 2 rooms at the front desk, for our family for when we come back for graduation. Then discovered on 7/26 - "my birthday", debit checking card was denied. Discovered my account was in negative balance because Candlewood deducted 850.00 from my account for my future reservation without my authorization or knowledge. Stressed me out - my checks were going to bounce, didn't have any money, - It was a mess! WHAT A GREAT BIRTHDAY PRESENT -- NO MONEY!!!! It took 2 days to get the money back in my acct! Now not sure that I will be staying there again. Asked for discount on future stay, and didn't feel what was offered was appropriate, asked to have GM contact me to discuss - 24hrs later no return call. Not getting response from GM. WOW! Not what I expected from a GM!
But will say Mirinda was very apologetic, kind and pleasant and worked very very hard to resolve the issue when I discovered it, but it still took several hours to get the credit issued.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
CandlewoodColumbusGM, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Amy394,

I was personally alarmed to hear about the accounting issue which affected your card. Debit Card transactions and hotels are often confounding and we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. It is not the sort of experience Candlewood Suites or I personally would ever wish our guest's to have.

You and I spoke at length 31 hours after your experience and the moment I received and update from my Front Desk Manager, who you were working with previously. I was very relieved that we were able to solve the problem to your satisfaction and compensate you accordingly.

With that said, its great to hear that you found the property to be up to your expectations! We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel on a family vacation. The rooms were very nice and clean it's in a great location and MOST of the staff is friendly. The only problem I have with this hotel is the fact that they don't back their word. If we ever deal with another candlewood I will have everything in writing. The other problem we had is that the front desk person was discussing my family with another family that was very unprofessional and unacceptable to myself as well as my family. The last problem we had was they ran out of face towels. We went down looking for face towels at 7 am and at 12 they still didn't have any. We ended up having to run to Walmart and buy towels. The Gm is a nice guy who tries to please everyone so if u have problems I would ask for him directly.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shay B
CandlewoodColumbusGM, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Shay B, thank you for your kind words about our hotel. I regret that you didn't have a fantastic experience with members of our team. I know that there was a great deal of confusion during your stay around use of the pool. I'm happy to tell you that we now have clearly posted guidelines in our lobby, in the pool, and in the reservation screen online that display that the pool is open to everyone when they stay at Candlewood Suites.

I have spoken with the member of the staff that didn't meet your service expectations and would like to assure you that it will not be happening again. Please contact me directly the next time you stay at Candlewood Suites so that I can personally ensure your stay is a memorable one.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

I opted for Candlewood based on reviews here and, as I had an early flight out of CMH, wanted a hotel nearby the airport. It offered the lowest rates of the decent chain hotels.
I was not disappointed. Staff was friendly and polite, rooms were clean and quiet, space was ample for working with plenty of outlets for cell phones, laptops, etc.
Why not five stars? Well, it's not luxurious, certainly. Like most "extended stay" places, there is no housekeeping service. That's no big deal to me (I was only staying two nights), but the staff does make you aware of this checking in. The a/c and in-room fridge were a tad noisy (especially when you have the ice maker turned on). And, for whatever reason, there was no wastebasket in the bathroom. Also, the front desk is not staffed 24-hours. So, if you have an early AM flight, you need to make sure you to understand how to get your receipt--since it won't be left under your door late at night.
Still, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: There is only one elevator serving all three floors. That could create traffic/noise issues during...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
John M, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Thank you for your patronage MongoSchwartz! We have thoroughly enjoyed exceeding your expectations for your hotel stay in Columbus, GA. We have taken some of your comments, notably placing receipts under our guest's doors on the night of their departure, very much to heart. I am happy to report that you will see this implemented the next you visit the Candlewood Suites - Columbus, GA.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

My last review was from nearly a year ago, great rating then and another great review. This place his everything as they should, check in to check out, flawless operation. It is always nice to see consistency with a property.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms face away from the Main Road.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Robert H

Thank again for the kind words and feedback Robert H! We enjoyed have you stay with us again and we look forward to the next time!

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Very happy with this hotel! Staff was incredibly helpful and friendly! Clean, comfortable and SAFE! Would highly recommend this place to anyone! I will be looking for any Candlewood Suites when a trip comes up!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus - Fort Benning
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning
TownePlace Suites Columbus
TownePlace Suites Columbus
#24 of 47 in Columbus
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Phenix City-Fort Benning Area
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Columbus/Near Fort Benning
Staybridge Suites Columbus Ft. Benning

Been to Candlewood Suites Columbus Fort Benning? Share your experiences!