Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning
Ranked #33 of 47 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I had a great experience staying here this weekend. The staff and housekeepers are wonderful,even though we always had a mess. But actually there was one housekeeper that cleaned my room and she was soooooo nice and sweet and I also loved her nails. (NENE) was on her name tag that was easy to remember so i had to mention her name. But because of her and the nice hospitality the hotel gives I would come back again.I fell in love with this hotel lol thanks

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Jennifer A, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Thank you so much for taking time to share your experience with us. We really appreciate it. We love to hear that our guests enjoyed their stay with us. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

As a Wheelchair bound Veteran it is difficult to find accomdations when you are on a trip that meets all your needs,. You do not need to look any farther this hotel is Great. The room was large and with a roll in shower 2 double beds, fridge, microwave 2 burner stove. The bed was low and open underneath for lift to fit under. It was a little too low but with the help of the maintenance man "James" which is a fellow Navy Vet. he took care of the problem very fast. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The lobby which has alot of military history and displays, couches and tables w/chairs, "we had a great family dinner in the lobby" the Innkeeper Duke Doubleday stopped by and we told him that the room was great along with the staff, we even mentioned that the shower should have a shower wand he said he would take care of that. The Gazebo out back was wonderful we had many hours of family time with our soldier out there and there is a concrete path that leads to the gazebo. It is very unique and quiet. Overall GREAT Hotel. Thank you Duke and your great Staff. From Lee and Traci

Room Tip: For wheelchair accessiblility if you don't mind the rooms that allow pets. and with a large roll...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Jennifer A, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thank you so much for this wonderful review. I am so glad that this room accommodated your needs more than the room originally reserved. We have actually ordered several hand held shower heads, per your suggestion, for all handicapped rooms. It is suggestions like yours that we appreciate so much because they help us see things from the guests' perspective. We appreciate you taking the time out and posting your review and sharing your suggestions with us.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We had a wonderful time we stayed here for Family day with my son from Ft. Benning .The lady on duty most of the time we were there was very friendly and helpful.We used the outside area to have a cookout and was so lucky to meet the owner that has a lot of military background and was very very nice makes you feel like your home We also brought our little dog and it is all set up for our 4 legged friends a fenced area just for them...we had such a good stay we already booked for my sons graduation in May !!!!!! Thanks from Florida..........

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Jennifer A, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to leave us a review. We appreciate it very much. I am glad to hear that you had a great time while you were here. It is also good to hear that our guests like the pet area available for their furry children. Congratulations to your family and we are glad that you have chosen to stay with us again for his graduation.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is a nice hotel. It is owned by a military veteran with a military touch of memory of old times.

I stayed in a suite called the Warroir Suite. Nice and roomy but could use a touch of class. A nice Hot tub could be added on to the suite attached to the bedroom by removing the window replaced by a sliding glass door a patio and hot spa privately enclosed. The rate will be higher but it would be worth the cost after a long day at the museum at fort benning.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer A, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We actually have considered adding some more amenities to our Suites and you have some great suggestions. We will be looking into this as our guests' feedback is our inspiration.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I have visited this hotel on several occasions and have always found a friendly staff behind the desk. The rooms are spacious and the hotel has always been very clean. The military decor throughout the hotel has a personal story behind each item or picture and it's nice to see men or women in uniforms flowing in and out of the doors at all times. This extended stay is in a great location to meet my travel needs. All the luxuries(free internet, refrigerator, stove, microwave, continential breakfast, pool, exercise room, computers, children game room and other outdoor activities) are included with the reasonable nightly/weekly rate. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Ft. Benning or the Columbus area. I will be back!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Jennifer A, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you so much for this wonderful review. It makes us very happy to see that our guests have enjoyed themselves while staying with us. We strive to make each of every one of our guests feel at home while they are here. We hope that you get a chance to come stay with us again.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed here for our son's basic training graduation for just one night. If it had been any longer we would have found another hotel. The staff was very friendly and the hotel was fairly clean (mold in the bathroom though) but that wasn't enough to keep us there any longer. The beds were very uncomfortable and they only gave one small pillow for each person. There was a strange gas smell in the hallway (made us kind of nervous) and breakfast was not good. We left and went down the street to Huddle House and that was much better. I will say that I was very impressed by the military decor throughout.

• Stayed: February 2013
Jennifer A, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback. I do apologize that your stay was not everything that you wanted it to be and we want you to know we are "listening" to feedback. We have taken a look at our continental breakfast and what we offer and have decided to forgo some of the sweeter items and replace them with hot items such as eggs and sausage. Though still not up to par to a full breakfast that you pay for at Huddle House, we do hope that our guests like this change. I apologize you were not happy with the pillow accommodations, though we are always willing to give our guests extra pillows or any other bedding needs. It has been fairly warm here in Georgia and we have not had much cause to use our heaters. When they are first turned on they do emit a heat smell, but please be assured there is nothing burning. We would love it if you are in the area again, if you would decide to stay with us again and give us the opportunity to improve upon your last stay.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed here for my 36 hour pass that I was granted at the end of Week 9 in the U.S. Army Infantry School.

The upside:
The rate was reasonable, my room was clean and spacious. Having that space and solitude made for an excellent 36 hours of recuperation. I loved the fridge, microwave, and stove. Made it so I could go grocery shopping for some foods I hadn't eaten in MONTHS, like ice cream and pizza, and enjoy them in my room. The management also let my friend Dave and I use their full kitchen so we could enjoy some true home cooking (Dave and I were both chefs before enlisting.) The outdoor pool was nice, and the gazebo made for a great place to have birthday cake with a couple other Soldiers and their families that drove up. (Mine was way too far away.) At the end of my stay, I encountered an issue from back home that needed my attention, and the General Manager, Kimbi, not only let me check out late and deal with it; she was willing to go the extra mile by calling my leadership at Ft. Benning and tell them what was going on. She made sure I was taken care of all the way 'til I got back to Fort Benning.

The downside:
There was a major youth soccer rally happening that weekend, with the hotel booked solid, and a TON of kids running around the lobby screaming and jumping off the furniture. It would have been nice if the staff and the chaperones restored some sort of order to the lobby and common areas. One amenity I was looking forward to using was the USO room for military and their families. That restriction wasn't enforced, and the kids were running and throwing things in there, too. As a result, it was not only annoying, but also made the common and USO areas way messier than they needed to be. That's the only reason I'm giving this place four circles instead of five.

Overall:
I would highly recommend this place to anyone headed TO Fort Benning for a graduation, or headed FROM Fort Benning to get away for a little bit. For those recruits looking to save money by rooming with other people, please take my advice and room alone...it's worth the extra $$ to not deal with someone else's crap and noise for the night. Also, for Pete's sake, don't do something stupid that's going to get your 36 hour pass revoked (or "not earned" as the Drill Sergeants put it).

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your review. It has actually been a little while since you have stayed with us and we have made quite a few changes. We have added some new amenities for our guests such as horseshoes and basketball. We are currently adding a volleyball court to our front yard. We no longer have the USO located here; however, we are just as soldier friendly as always. I do apologize that your stay was not as perfect as you would have liked, with all the soccer kids here. We do try to keep everyone happy and accommodate everyone's needs, though sometimes that goal seems higher than others. We do appreciate your feedback and hope that you get a chance to come stay with us again. We are under new management and making improvements every day. A large part of those improvements are made based on our guest reviews and we enjoy having the chance to show that we are paying attention.