“4th time staying there”

Ranked #34 of 46 Hotels in Columbus
Lafayette, Indiana, United States
“4th time staying there”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I just want to say that this is the best hotel you will find in Columbus, Georgia. The staff will treat you like family each and every time. They aren't fake when holding conversations or assisting you with something because they show true, genuine southern hospitality. I have stayed here multiple times since March all because of the hotel staff, kitchenette (in every room), gazebo (with a nice flat screen tv), horseshoes, free breakfast, and the nice pool that has me coming back each and every time. My husband and I got married last weekend and we used the outdoor gazebo for the 11 of us to cut cake, toast, listen to music etc. It was very pleasant. When the tiki lights were out of fluid, Duke (the owner) happily refilled them all. There are a couple outdoor grills for the use of guests and the coal is almost always out in a bag for people to use. We stayed in a suite and we loved the two flat screen tvs and small couch. You won't be disappointed if you stay there and if you had any concern about anything then it's possibility it's your fault if you didn't ask the staff to help you because they will do their best each and every time to make sure you feel the most comfortable. Oh and there is an awesome hole-in-the-wall mexican restaurant in walking distance or very short drive in the Piggly Wiggly Grocery Store area. It's delicious and fast (amazing chips and salsa) but it was nice to have a restaurant close enough for my husband and I to walk to. (The front entrance of the restaurant is on the opposite side of Victory Drive so it's not as easy to see from that road.)

Room Tip: If you think you will be using the pool or gazebo a lot, it's nice to have a room on the first f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Adrianna P
Jennifer A, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for this amazing review. I think your review will be helpful to many future guests; we do want our guests to let us know if they need anything or there is something wrong that we can correct. We want all of our guests to have a happy experience like yours. We want our guests to know that we want them all to be happy and to enjoy their time here. That is our ultimate goal. I hope you are enjoying married life and when you are ready to move to this area, you know that we are here to help in any way we can.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed October 11, 2012

What an amazing place to stay. Found this hotel back in March by accident....LOVE IT! They bring a little bit of home to you. The gazebo is a fabulous place to hang out with your family and friends, we grilled steaks on the grills (long time since i've used charcoal)! The pool is clean and grounds are clean. The rooms have a full refridgerator and stove top to cook, w/utensils included. The workout room is great and the laundry facilities are a bonus! The staff is amazing and any request we have is responded to quickly and with a smile. I have been back 3 times in the last 8 months to see my son at Fort Benning and he was married last Friday and we gathered under the gazebo and it was amazing beautiful!!! The staff helped set up, shop, guided us where we needed to go for supplies. I walk in the door and they remember who we are. It's a great place to stay! I recommend it to all my friends (as a matter of fact ... my family and friends have stayed too because my experience was so wonderful)! I will definitely be back! Thank you for providing a wonderful experience for my whole family and friends.

Room Tip: I like to stay on the end that has the gazebo outside the door -- when you carry your food to grill...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We love having you and your family each time they stay. We are sorry we did not get to see Colton on your last stay, but we will look forward to seeing him when you come back. Again, congratulations to you on your son's marriage; you are acquiring a wonderful daughter-in-law. Thank you for the opportunity for us to be part of the planning process. It was so much fun. I know we will see you again and best wishes until then.
Reviewed September 30, 2012

It was a great stay would recommend to everyone mr. Doubleday has a great hotel the staff

Great location near FT Benning
Was recommended by FT Benning lodging
Friendly staff very helpful
Overall outstanding place to stay

• Stayed September 2012
Jennifer A, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. We love to see that our guests enjoyed their time with us and we hope you get to come stay with us again.
RI
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I was referred to the Suburban by Ft Benning Lodging, and my stay could not have been better! Duke, Jennifer, James, Tina and Amy were like my long lost family! They were friendly, helpful and gracious. My room overlooked the pool and was large and clean with a wonderful kitchenette. There was always someone to meet and share a story with. The grounds were tranquil and calming. The pool was clean and refreshing. The row of beautiful wooden rocking chairs overlooking the pool area became a nightly spot to meet other military families and share stories or just sit and reflect quietly. There was also a lovely but rustic barbeque area where families gathered to bbq and catch up with their soldier or talk about a recent graduation. I spent a week at the Suburban and never wanted to leave. Staying there was like spending a week at a family member’s summer home. My only complaint would be that I couldn’t finish this wonderful book I was reading!! Rosie

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool-Beautiful at night
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you Rosie for your wonderful review. You are now part of our Suburban family. We loved having you here so much and we are looking forward to you returning. I am looking for a good book for you to read while you are here, lol. Make sure you check our Facebook page to see your departure picture.
Crescent City, Florida
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was here for my son's graduation from Ft Benning. I stayed 3 nights. This is a military friendly hotel. The room was clean and having a mini kitchen was great. The staff was very nice and helpful. I rec'd a discount for having a family member graduate from Ft Benning. The hotel is very close to Ft Benning the main base and Sand Hill the training base. The hotel is centrally located to the Columbus area. The main Hwy I85 exit was just up from the Hotel. We were able to go everywhere from here. I would recommend this hotel everyone. I would definitly stay here again.

1 Thank LYNNG0831
Thank you for your wonderful review and we are so happy to know that you enjoyed staying with us. Again, congratulation on your the graduation of your soldier.
Owosso, MI
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed in a pet friendly room September 12, before the graduation of our son from boot camp at Fort Benning. We brought his dog and his girlfriend. The beds were clean and comfortable. The pet area was great for the dog. It would have been better had some owners cleaned up after their dogs. Th fenced yard and grills by the patio were perfect for family dinners at a better price than restaurants. Also the in room kitchenette was good. Complimentary continental breakfast was fine. The proximity to Fort Benning is excellent. We had a great stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Jennifer A, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you so much for this wonderful review. We appreciate that our guests give us feedback in order for us to make improvements for the next guest’s stay or for your next stay. I am very happy to hear to that you enjoyed having the pet area. This is a new addition to our hotel and it is nice to see that guests are enjoying having it. We are looking into ways to prompt pet owners to be more responsible about cleaning up after their own pets. I am happy to hear that you had a chance to appreciate the back yard, gazebo, and grills. We love knowing that our guests had a great time while they were here. We certainly hope that if you are in the area again, that you will once again choose to stay with us. Again, thank you for the wonderful review.
Clarksville, TN
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Horrible experience...we were here for our sons basic training graduation. 3 night stay. Multiple rooms with famiy and friends staying as well. Our room was nasty. We arrived late so the next morning mentioned it, they cleaned the wrong room. Husband told front desk...they moved us. New room, bathroom just as dirty, throwup in one of the closets. Worst thing....hubby found one of the AIT grads wallets outside and asked the asst mgr to please call him down so he could give him his wallet. Being a soldier, the knows the risk of handing over a wallet with military info inside. He even explained this to the asst mgr. She had a fit...said she took offense, even with him calmly explaining to her why it was his duty as a soldier and "officer" to hand this back in person. As he was walking away she called him an [--]. Everything got worse from there with her mouth going nonstop. We asked to speak to the owner, whom we had seen many times around the hotel the previous days, but now he was MIA. He was called and told we would like to speak with him..we were told the next day that he showed up really late and left really early. Wow...I guess his guests were not worth his time when there are problems. WE will never stay here again! Even the free "nasty" breakfast was not worth the problems, dirt, throwup, and rudeness of this place! The hotel itself is not up to par at all. Huge stains on the carpets and floors, dirt everywhere.

2 Thank Sean and Nancy C
We always appreciate reviews from our guests, so thank you for sharing your experience. I apologize first of all for the state of the room you first checked into. This was poor oversight on our side and we have certainly addressed this issue with our staff. That is definitely not the standard that we strive to achieve and we do want our guests to stay in clean and comfortable rooms. The wallet that was found outside did not belong to a registered guest. As we have many wonderful military families that stay with us and will a lot of times bring home their soldiers’ friends with their soldier, we did want to do everything in our power to return the wallet to its owner. We did ask that the wallet was left in our staff’s care because that is the first place that a guest or a friend of a guest will check when they have lost an item. When it was refused to leave the wallet with our staff we still did everything to our ability to ensure the wallet was returned to its rightful owner. We knew that one of our guests had several soldiers that were with her son when they arrived; therefore, we contacted her to find out if the soldier was with her group. Thankfully, it turned out that he was. This guest felt very offended, as a mother of a soldier, in the way she was spoken to when she assured your husband that this soldier was with her and he refused to turn over the wallet. She contacted the owner of the wallet and asked him to please hurry and arrive to receive the wallet. We did call your room as soon as the soldier arrived. For our guests’ safety, we cannot give a room number or send another guest or non-guest to a guest’s room. We therefore asked that the wallet be brought down to the soldier at the front desk. When this was at first refused, we had no choice other than to inform your husband that we would have to contact the police to confiscate the wallet if he would not return it to the rightful owner. We do not want any situation to escalate to this point; however, when we cannot receive cooperation, calling the police would be our only next course of action. At no time, did we mean to offend you, your husband, or your family and I am truly apologetic that this is the way this situation was perceived. We strive to give the same level of service and friendliness to all of our guests regardless of their association with the armed forces or their rank within. I sincerely hope that you and your husband will understand our situation in this and the service that we provide to our guests. I am very sorry that your stay was not up to our standards and that this situation caused your stay to be even less. I hope that if you are in the area again, you will consider giving us a chance to show you what a stay with us is normally like. If you are willing to give us this chance, please contact one of our management team to secure your reservations so that we may ensure you have the perfect stay. Even though you do not, at this time, have a good opinion of our management team, I assure you that we can change your mind given the chance.