“Terrible stay in pet rooms, dogs came away infested with fleas, moved to another room where the a/c was broken.”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning
Ranked #34 of 46 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Our stay while leaving GA for a PCS move was terrible. The pet friendly room we stayed in had not been treated for fleas. Within a few hours I could see that my white dog had fleas crawling on her, from across the room. The front desk moved us to another room but it took hrs to get it ready. We therefore had to load up all of our luggage,our 4mo son and everything associated with him and leave until the room was ready. During that time the dogs were bathed and treated for the fleas. Upon returning, we settled into the new room. During this time I strolled my son through out the first floor for a couple of hours to keep him subdued. The owner, "duke" Doubleday gave a boisterous greeting to everyone he saw except me and my son. He passed several times without making so much as a head nod. Maybe this was because I am not a shaved head private who has his his obscenely loud and annoying family there visiting. If duke wasn't a silver star and ARCOM "v" recipient I would say he was scared to talk to the guy with a beard pushing a baby stroller. That is not the case so I will just assume he is rude. To add to the rampant unprofessionalism, the woman attending the feont desk had a male friend, dressed in workout clothes, leaning on the counter talking to her for hours, even going so far as to stand at the front desk and order chineese food for him. After returning from our stroll, I found that the dogs once again had fleas all over them. My wife again complained, this time to the owner, who replied I'm sorry about that. Might I mention that no one ever entered the previous room to treat it during this time. To add to the poor cleanliness, during my stroll I passed a lone French fry in the middle of a hallway that the cleaning staff and mr doubleday had passed at least a dozen times. The fry was still there when we checked out, trampled by that time. We resolved that moving to another room or hotel for just a few hrs would only be a big headache. After finally getting to sleep with the obscenely loud romper stomp fest on the second floor, for the second night in a row, we woke up sweating at 3am to find that our ac had not been working. It was in fact cooler in the hallway. Needless to say we were sick of the place and decided to get an early start on the drive to NC. When my wife checked out, the slovenly night manager refused to look at her, did not care how our stay was and the few words he spoke to her we're to ask for payment. If mr Doubleday or any representative of the hotel wishes to contact me to discuss the matter I welcome it. The guest in room 143, 23-24AUG, use that contact information. Thank you, CPT H. US ARMY.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank CPTHH
Jennifer A, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
I would like to thank you for your review. Although you did not have a great stay with us we still appreciate any and all feedback. We depend on our guests to let us know where we are not doing our best. I certainly apologize for anything that was wrong in your room and we definitely do not want you believing that we consider fleas in the room acceptable. I apologize that our staff did not recognize this problem in the room before your arrival. We have discussed this with our staff and have used this feedback for training purposes. I certainly would like you to know that we did treat the room that we moved you from immediately. I would also like to apologize that you did not feel acknowledged by Mr. Doubleday. He sincerely appreciates all of our guests; military or non-military. Our front desk staff was actually socializing with one of our extended stay guests. This guest has been staying with us for quite a long time and often stays around the front desk speaking with our staff in the evening. He has become a part of our “family” here and I apologize if it seemed unprofessional for him to stay at the desk for a long period of time. He does like to spend his evenings socializing with our staff rather than staying in the room. I understand how this might look like a different situation, I just want you to understand that we strive to be professional; however, we also like all of our guests to feel at home with us. I know that once one thing goes wrong anything else going wrong is just an accumulation and can make your stay no way close to what you are expecting or looking for. I am so sorry that this was one of those stays for you. I hope that if you are ever in the area again, that you will consider giving us another try. I want you to know that this type of experience is not the normal experience for our guests and we would like for you to have the kind of stay that our guests are used to having with us. If you are in the area and would consider giving us another chance to show you the “real” us, I would love for you to contact me personally about your reservation. I am the Assistant General Manager and would be more than happy to help you with future accommodations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Reviewed August 26, 2012

The room was very dirty as I had splattered stains on the walls. The clean towels for the pool were stained all in yellow streaks. The continental breakfast was pathetic as there was nothing to choose from and the busciuts and gravy were so bad I had to toss it I could have used it for a hockey puck and I have no idea what the coffee was made out of. The lady behind the counter was ice cold and made me feel like I was a total bother to her. The staff was unprofessional and cold would never go there ever again We went to another hotel and feel like I went from hell to heaven

Room Tip: dont ever go as this was a nightmare
Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My daughter-in-law and I needed a place to stay for my son's graduation from Airborne School. Olson Hall was full, so they made reservations for this hotel. The process was quick, easy, and all done on the phone as we traveled from Clarksville, TN. Definitely a place we would stay again if necessary.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Every one was very friendly, curtious, good humored, helpful. The rooms were clean.
rooms were made everyday. could not say enough. Duke, the owner was very friendly and at times understanding. The booking was for my son's graduation at Ft. Benning. It has been one of the better places my wife and I have stayed.

Room Tip: Read the reviews from other people who have stayed.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I booked this hotel for my son's graduation & family day events at Ft. Benning on 8/15 & 8/16. Very close to the base. Billy was the front desk clerk and was very professional and friendly. Great customer service, rooms were clean, smelled clean, and included a kitchenette. I recommend this hotel and I am very picky when it comes to hotels and I would definately stay there again. Great stay for the price.

Vickie
Snellville, GA

Red Oak, Iowa, United States
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Duke, the owner, is very hands on and treats everybody like family. He is kind, and made the experience of having to leave our military son easier by his demeanor. The hotel was great, the staff is wonderful, and we look forward to staying there again.

portland ct
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed there for family weekend for son attending basic training. After staying atseveral choice hotels on the way there and back I can say without doubt that this was the best place i have stayed in a while. The place was clean orgainzed and the staff was friendly. Duke was awesome and treated everyone great. He was knowledgeable about the military and you could see in how he runs the place that i will only get better. Choice hotels should make his facility a top rated stay. Thanks for the accomodations and see you in sept. for graduation. kurt & Lori vogt portland , ct