“Dog friendly, nice stay”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning
Ranked #36 of 46 Hotels in Columbus
Macomb, Michigan
“Dog friendly, nice stay”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I would stay here again because of the dog and proximity to Fort Benning, even with the problems. I booked directly through choice hotels.com – the website said only a $50 pet fee. When I checked out on the seventh day, it was changed to a $100 pet fee. The reason given: $50 per 6 days. Nowhere was that listed on the website. And when I checked in, I specifically remember saying I did not want the safe fee. Again, when I checked out I was charged the safe fee and was told they cannot take it off after the fact, I should have said something when I checked in (I did!) Besides this extra $75, the room was nice. The pet rooms are on the first floor and on the wing that lets out directly to the pet walk area. What an area! A fenced in area with a bridge over a small creek, and poopy bags for you to use. Very nice. However, it does need to be cleaned up. Guests use that area to drink, because there are broken beer glass bottles in the back and a dead cat/squirrel/something.
The pool is salt water and warm in middle September. They have a patio with bbq grills available for guests. And a USO room to hang out on. The wi-fi in the room is just average strength. Housekeeping comes every day. There is no complimentary breakfast, again the website said there was. I was not the only guest to inquire.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Tarainjag
Kimbi B, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
I appreciate your comments about our hotel. I wanted to let you know that we have requested the verbiage about our pet fee to state "starting at $50.00 per stay," we have upgraded our aceess points to our wi-fi which has increased our speed, and we are now serving a complimentary continental breakfast. Our guests' feedback is very important to us. Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Woodward, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 9, 2011

I was lured into staying here by nice photos and friendly reservations personnel, however, once we checked into the room it was clear we were in for a bad surprise. The sheets were dirty, the staff treated us like we were recruits in basic training, the rooms were filthy, the elevator was out of service, and the beds were very worn and uncomfortable. Save the 30 bucks and stay somewhere nicer, perferable on the north side of Columbus. The best thing I can say about this place is it's close to Ft Benning (and they had my favorite chips in the vending machine). Our fridge didn't work, the carpet was dirty and this will be the last this place sees of us.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank justme51750
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed May 28, 2011

After reading several of the more negative reviews of this hotel, I was hesitant to stay there. From the moment I entered the door I was greeted with the most gracious southern hospitality I have ever experienced. I continued to see this warm welcoming attitude by the entire staff throughout my stay and with anyone who came through that door. My room was clean and efficient. The back yard pool and bbq shelter was a great place for gathering families. Many of the families there are spending precious quality time with thier soldier from Fort Benning.
I would highly recommend this place as a great place to reconnect with your loved one from Fort Benning.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank mcsherr
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 14, 2011

The outside of this hotel gives the appearance of an upscale establishment. Once in the room very different story. The carpet was dirty and worn. The walls were dirty and stained. Bathtub had mold. The tile entry was sticky. Cabinets under drawers were sticky. Overall this room needed a good cleaning and update. My first time to stay at one of these hotels. I did not realize that daily maid service was not provided. For the costs I could have stayed at a much nicer place.
mcCracken...

Room Tip: Not the best area of town. Photos are deceiving
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mikemac59
PA
Reviewed May 11, 2011

We were traveling in the Columbus area to visit Ft. Benning. As we had our two cats with us, we needed a pet friendly hotel. After searching, I eventually settled on Suburban Extended Stay even though they charged a $50 pet fee, principally because it was only one mile to Ft. Benning's main gate. At $89/night (+taxes) the room was described as an efficiency. It turned out to be one smallish room with a mini kichen wedged into the hall across from the bathroom. There was a king bed, but only one upholstered easy chair (no sofa), along with a small table and two dining chairs. We were only here for one night, so we could deal, but pity the poor couple who has to spend several days awaiting on-post housing or an apartment. For the price, we've had much better accomodations at other pet friendly chains (La Quinta, Country Inns & Suites, Comfort Suites) that offer much more spacious rooms and usually a free breakfast. Unless you need to be very near Ft. Benning's main gate, try the other hotels up near the airport.

Room Tip: To get the best room - stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed March 24, 2011

We arrived later than planned and since we had our reservations, it was a simple process of getting our room at 10:15pm. Other members of our party arrived earlier in the day and were graciously welcomed and found the amenities much to their liking. Everything you can think of is included in the Kitchenette; sink, stove, freezer, fridge, microwave, plates, utensils, everything! We made ice cream sundaes and popcorn while relaxing in the comfortable rooms. The Wi-Fi was a BONUS and I was able to do business at the table while others watched TV or read.
The staff is friendly and very helpful, the grounds keeping looked upscale and clean, the location is close to shopping, Big Lots, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc, and dining, and the parking is plentiful.
If you're on a budget then put your money to good u$e.
Thank you for the great Southern Welcome Shawn!
Jimmy Brough

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KSBravesFan
Newton Falls, Ohio
Reviewed November 6, 2010

We went to Ga to see my son graduate boot camp from ft benning it was family day weekend what I liked is the rooms were clean and you have a refrigerator microwave stove top all the essentials if you want to cook something yourself. We got the wi-fi for the extra 4.99 for the whole stay worked well we were very happy with the
accomadations so much I am returning in Dec when my son
turns blue and is finally done with boot. The prices are good to. The only draw back was no continetal breakfast but thats no big deal for what you pay to stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business