“Welcome to a Weary Traveler”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning
Ranked #36 of 47 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed May 28, 2011

After reading several of the more negative reviews of this hotel, I was hesitant to stay there. From the moment I entered the door I was greeted with the most gracious southern hospitality I have ever experienced. I continued to see this warm welcoming attitude by the entire staff throughout my stay and with anyone who came through that door. My room was clean and efficient. The back yard pool and bbq shelter was a great place for gathering families. Many of the families there are spending precious quality time with thier soldier from Fort Benning.
I would highly recommend this place as a great place to reconnect with your loved one from Fort Benning.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank mcsherr

Reviewed May 14, 2011

The outside of this hotel gives the appearance of an upscale establishment. Once in the room very different story. The carpet was dirty and worn. The walls were dirty and stained. Bathtub had mold. The tile entry was sticky. Cabinets under drawers were sticky. Overall this room needed a good cleaning and update. My first time to stay at one of these hotels. I did not realize that daily maid service was not provided. For the costs I could have stayed at a much nicer place.
mcCracken...

Room Tip: Not the best area of town. Photos are deceiving
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mikemac59
Reviewed May 11, 2011

We were traveling in the Columbus area to visit Ft. Benning. As we had our two cats with us, we needed a pet friendly hotel. After searching, I eventually settled on Suburban Extended Stay even though they charged a $50 pet fee, principally because it was only one mile to Ft. Benning's main gate. At $89/night (+taxes) the room was described as an efficiency. It turned out to be one smallish room with a mini kichen wedged into the hall across from the bathroom. There was a king bed, but only one upholstered easy chair (no sofa), along with a small table and two dining chairs. We were only here for one night, so we could deal, but pity the poor couple who has to spend several days awaiting on-post housing or an apartment. For the price, we've had much better accomodations at other pet friendly chains (La Quinta, Country Inns & Suites, Comfort Suites) that offer much more spacious rooms and usually a free breakfast. Unless you need to be very near Ft. Benning's main gate, try the other hotels up near the airport.

Room Tip: To get the best room - stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2011

We arrived later than planned and since we had our reservations, it was a simple process of getting our room at 10:15pm. Other members of our party arrived earlier in the day and were graciously welcomed and found the amenities much to their liking. Everything you can think of is included in the Kitchenette; sink, stove, freezer, fridge, microwave, plates, utensils, everything! We made ice cream sundaes and popcorn while relaxing in the comfortable rooms. The Wi-Fi was a BONUS and I was able to do business at the table while others watched TV or read.
The staff is friendly and very helpful, the grounds keeping looked upscale and clean, the location is close to shopping, Big Lots, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc, and dining, and the parking is plentiful.
If you're on a budget then put your money to good u$e.
Thank you for the great Southern Welcome Shawn!
Jimmy Brough

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KSBravesFan
Reviewed November 6, 2010

We went to Ga to see my son graduate boot camp from ft benning it was family day weekend what I liked is the rooms were clean and you have a refrigerator microwave stove top all the essentials if you want to cook something yourself. We got the wi-fi for the extra 4.99 for the whole stay worked well we were very happy with the
accomadations so much I am returning in Dec when my son
turns blue and is finally done with boot. The prices are good to. The only draw back was no continetal breakfast but thats no big deal for what you pay to stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank armymom36
Reviewed February 13, 2010

My previous review of this property was based on a one night event and a HORRIBLE response from Choice Hotels' customer service. After the thug incindent I requested a refund at the least. Choice CSR and front desk staff refunded my money for the stay but offered only an apology for the inconvience. Since it was a busy weekend here at Ft. Benning I was not looking forward to changing hotels and asked to be comped' a night's stay. CSR corporate accused me of wanting to get "something for nothing" which prompted me to go ballistic over the phone.
Enter general Manager Reggie of the property. Despite the attitude from corporate, Reggie called me personally with more than just an apology. I was immidiately moved into a two room spa suite and treated like royalty. Choice Hotels could learn from this woman! As I am not a freeloader and wished to stay the weekend, Reggie offered to give me the posh suite at regular room rate.
PHENOMINAL treatmet from that point on! After speaking with several requent guests and employees I am convinced that my bad experience was an isolated event at an otherwise lovely hotel. The response by the staff and management exceeded my expectation and is obviously above and beyond the level of service offered by Choice corporate.
I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL AND WISH YOU TO GIVE MY VERY WARMEST REGARDS TO REGGIE AND STAFF WHO PROVED TO BE HIGHLY PROFESSIONAL AND COURTEOUS- (despite dealing with an irate, tired, man who posted a terrible review of their property)
If you are travelling with a spouse or loved one request a suite- you will not regret it!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank fistfullaholla
Reviewed October 10, 2009

My family attended my son's graduation from basic training 10/8/09. We arrived on the 6th & left on the 9th. Room was small for my 18month old; but roomy enough for the adults. Each room has a good size fridge (not a small one either), 2 burner stove, microwave. I didn't expect to use the kitchette but room had 2 small pots, cooking utenils, silverware, dish towels, coffee pot and small bottle of dish soap. Area is a little scary but there's lots of lighting; never saw security around; The whole room was very clean even the fridge!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family