“Filthy, Horrible Service, Never Again”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #43 of 46 Hotels in Columbus
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
“Filthy, Horrible Service, Never Again”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I booked the hotel online (last minute) so that I could attend my sons graduation at Fort Benning. When I arrived the female working the counter was very nice. I then proceeded to my room. As I walked up the stairs, the smell of urine was horrible. As I entered the room I immediately walked to the bed where I pulled the sheets off of the mattress to check for bugs - none found. I then pulled the blankets back and the sheets were filthy and had not been changed from the previous occupants. I then noticed the door did not have a chain. The carpets had not been cleaned and there was trash (food wrapper) on the floor next to the dresser. I called the front desk and the lady told me she would bring me clean sheets. When she arrived with them, I asked her if she wanted to see them. She said no because she already made a note about it. While putting the clean sheet on the bed, I noticed that the bed had a horrible stain on the side of it. I have attached a picture of that.

The room was a smoking room (all they had) but it smelled more like a seedy tavern.

When I checked out in the morning, the manager was working the counter. I attempted to tell him about the filth in the room and he just ignored me. When I got my receipt, I asked him if he was even interested in hearing what I had to say. He said - "I made a note of what you said".

I will never stay there again, no matter how desperate I am for a hotel room.

Room Tip: Horrible rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Robert N Shelly C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My wife and I were traveling from Tulsa, OK to Stuart, Fl. I never like the idea of a strict schedule between point A and point B. We might like to stop off and see something which we did do in Tupelo, MS and saw Elvis Presley's birthplace. So I like to drive until I'm tired and then find a place to sleep. With the mobile ability to find hotels we can still look ahead a few hours and find a place. We found this Econo Lodge and we were just looking for a place to sleep 5-6 hours, take a shower and hit the road again. This inexpensive hotel was exactly what we wanted. I know you can't expect a stay at the Ritz for $48.00 (Incl taxes) but this met our needs plus they had breakfast and coffee. That saved us at least $10 to $20 if we would have hit a Mcdonalds or any other restaurant. It was clean and met our needs.

Room Tip: The later you get reservations don't expect a first floor room. Not a bad location but we did b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Patrick G
Biloxi, Mississippi
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed here for one night it was rated number one on this site at the time. If this is the number one hotel of Columbus I would hate to see the rest. No real complaints except the door even when closed and all the locks locked it was still a fourth of the way open which did not make me feel safe being a female alone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Wine Country, north of San Francisco
Reviewed May 17, 2012

First off we went to the wrong Economy Motel. Thank goodness Ruby was managing the desk that night. She bent over backwards to help us. Unfortunately the Economy Motel located closest to Fort Benning totally screwed up the reservation. Ruby offered a discount for my son’s friend and unfortunately she accepted the offer. This Economy Motel’s location did not suit me. This place made Motel 6 look like a Hampton Inn. We instructed our son’s friend to not open the door to anyone due to the presence of some Zombie like humanoids pacing the premises. We learned later the TV remote did not work, and there was a lack of hot water. No use going on any further. I think you get my drift. Enough said. Oh, btw, I decided to rate it poor instead of terrible due to Ruby's great service. She would be excellent working at a Hampton.

Room Tip: No signs of bed bugs at this motel, but I always check in every hotel, even Hampton's by lifting...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Huge bugs in bathroom-furniture and rug stained-musty moldy odor-we checked in and checked out the same day.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Room was not clean and and had masking tape on the floor holding down the carpet next to the bathroom tile. Very noisy room with the fire department just down the road and a highway out front. Lots of noisy guests late at night walking around outside our room talking on cell phones until 2-3 am.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed March 2, 2011

customer service was great but the room we stayed in was horrible as soon as we walked in we noticed the door was very dirty with what looked like blood stains on wall,vanity(sink area)had tape all around the bottom connecting the carpet to the walls,the bathroom tub was dirty I have all of the pictures to prove it..i called front desk and complain..aweful disappointing experience.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Courtyard Columbus Phenix City/Riverfront
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Phenix City-Fort Benning Area
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#29 of 46 in Columbus

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!