“White Water Rafting”
Review of Columbus Riverwalk

Columbus Riverwalk
Ranked #2 of 49 things to do in Columbus
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Currently only one company operating white water trips on the river. It is billed as the longest urban trip but it is still only 2 miles or so. It is fairly easy rafting until the last set of rapids. Both have lots of energy, the left bank (Columbus) is the easier run of the. Two. The Alabama side can be a challenge.

The evening I went there were 18 rafts on the river at the same time which is way too many especially since we did two runs and the last run didn't start till 8:25 pm, just about sunset. We finished at twilight, got in the vans at dark. 13 of 18 rafts lost rafters, many flipped. When we came. Into Cut Bait there were already two flipped rafts in the hole, we lost everyone including the guide on our slide into the hole. Came up under the raft just found the surface a bit later. My wife came up on the GA side of the river. No worries though for us. Some folks got banged up, abrasions, lost shoes and paddles, nothing worse.

The rafts had good separation to start but then got together to transfer those out of rafts that did not want to go down Cut Bait. This could have been done during the 30+ minute period they were transferring the rafts from our first take out to the put in. The best thing they did was to account for all afters by having everyone return to their original raft after the 2nd run as most rafts finished up with different crews.

The lack of organization was very evident. It was the 2nd day of operations but the company has operated on two other rivers. They couldn't give the per brief until the got to the put in as the store was packed from those waiting to go out and those returning. They probably lost business as folks couldn't purchase shirts, sundries, etc. The raft trips were probably scheduled too close together and running 18 rafts at a time is way too much. Split that in half or at least 30 minute separation and you're running two safer trips instead of one giant cluster. Folks got minor injuries primarily because the rafts entered the last rapid way too bunched up.

Great guides except the leadership has to recognize separation scheme. It would be easier to also place safety guides onshore at the last rapids with throw bags.

Organization should improve and I would consider rafting at the end of the summer when the company has a chance to get better organized. Great project for a time management study--- safety needs to improve and they should not let inexperienced rafters on the high water route until they do the low water route or had a trip on the Pigeon, Nolichucky, Nantahalla, Ocoee, New, something wet, somewhere. Learning how to stroke on the high water course for the first time isn't safe. I believe the New, Gaulley and Russell Fork have per-requisites. Organization was the downfall for this trip. Lots of potential.

Great runs for kayakers...great rapids to play in without having long treks to the start. Plenty of hydraulics, big water.

Also check for discounts....didn't have any but heard they are out there.
Cheers.

12  Thank KaiDogLaGrange

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We wandered down to the Columbus Riverwalk while in the area for a graduation at Ft. Benning. It was beautiful from both sides of the river. I love to see places like this put to good use. We saw a rafting excursion and jet skiers. I noticed that old warehouses were being constructed into condominiums nearby and it looked like a great place to live. We found that Columbus was a beautiful, historic city and I would like to come back again to explore more.

1  Thank roadtripper40
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The Riverwalk is very well maintained and meanders for miles from downtown Columbus to Fort Benning. If you allow your mind to wander you can imagine the commercial and military traffic along the river, especially during the Civil War. It is a quiet time and provides exercise and time to think. A word of caution, it is easy to forget how far you have walked...and you still have to return to your starting point. The Georgia heat can be debilitating, so bring water (not many of the drinking fountains along the route work) and pace yourself. Early evening walks are especially pleasant.

2  Thank Richard L
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We were at the Columbus Civic Center to see a show and decided to grab a geocache while waiting for the rest of the cars to leave the parking lot. We happened upon the riverwalk and enjoyed it very much. We enjoyed it so much that we had to go back the next day. If you geocache, this is a great place to go.

1  Thank ocaptain101
Reviewed May 12, 2013

The missus and I joined up with the Riverwalk near Broadway, in "Uptown" Columbia. It runs along the Chatahoochee river, going all the way to Fort Benning, and I have to say that it was one of the prettiest, most well-maintained public walkways I've ever been on. It's free and open for walking or biking, it does have some restroom facilities at various points along the path, and there are frequent stairways going back up to civilization, so you can really get a feel for the diversity of the area while walking. My wife and I covered about 2.5 miles of it, getting past the Rotary Park area, before going back to where we'd started for some water and frozen yogurt, and, while my feet were about ready to explode off my body by the time we were done, I had a great time on the Riverwalk.

It's super fun to see countless turtles beaching themselves on the rock islands in the river, and there are many fisher-people and points of interests to keep you busy while you walk. The tarmac was in great shape, which makes for easy walking, and if you just want to get away for a while, I can think of no better place than the Riverwalk to catch your breath and enjoy nature--with civilization not far behind, of course...

2  Thank Regis W

Been to Columbus Riverwalk? Share your experiences!