“Southern cooking at its finest!”
Review of Tarrer Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Colquitt
Tarrer Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Colquitt B&B and Inns
Tallahassee, FL
“Southern cooking at its finest!”
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Perfect fried chicken, crispy, light, non-greasy with just the right amount of seasoning accompanied by field peas, corn bread, turnip greens, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole and swamp gravy on buttered rice. Sliced pork loin, baked chicken and ham topped with pineapple rings circling cherries looked appealing, too. Oh, my goodness, what a feast! And I haven't even raved about the blackberry and peach cobblers with Blue Bell Vanilla Ice Cream. The meal my friends and I had today would've made my Mamaw (grandmother) proud. The staff was efficient, friendly and quick with bringing tea, sweet and unsweetened, and real Coca Colas. Buffet service worked well for the food with table service for beverages. There's also a salad bar buffet, though I didn't bother with those light weight calories.
The large dining rooms were comfortable and not loud, even though there was a very large crowd of folks eating and waiting to eat. We traveled to Colquitt to attend the 2 PM performance of Swamp Gravy, a Georgia folk play. It was delightful. And even though our stomachs were full, the play kept us engaged and entertained with fine singing and storytelling by the all volunteer cast of many local children and adults. Bravo! For the meal and entertainment.

Stayed March 2014
3 Thank J_JoTallahassee_FL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My family has attended the Swamp Gravy play for years now. On our first couple of visits we stayed at the Tarrer Inn, not knowing where else to stay. It is a wonderful establishment with helpful employees and a charm not often encountered in this day. After our first few trips we found free lodging with local friends, but when my parents accompany us they insist on staying at the Tarrer Inn! I honestly can't blame them, because there are few places like it anymore. It is most certainly worth a stay, if only for the lovely staircase and delicious meals!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sam P
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Tarrer Inn and attended the Swamp Gravy play. It was an excellent stay and the owners and employees were extremely gracious and helpful. The food was served as a buffet and was excellent southern cooking. Be sure to make your reservation for exactly what bed size you desire. The hotel has free wifi. We enjoyed our stay and will return.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GAFoodie1
Covington
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I am an "elegant hotel" snob and was loth to stay at some formica-furnished no-tell-motel while traveling the backroads of the deep south. Then I found the Tarrer Inn, a charmer situated on the square in Colquitt GA. Parking is easy (in front or in the back), the entryway made me feel that I stepped back in time. The woman behind the desk was very friendly and loaded with southern charm. My room was one of the lesser priced rooms which was towards the back of the Inn on the second floor, so no real view but it was my choice. But what a room! A REAL bed and tastefully furnished with no formica in sight. I was exhausted from my travel and only wanted to rest and get to sleep early. The bed was extremely comfortable and the pillows were perfect. There was a coffee set up in the room so I could have my hit of caffeine in the morning (they serve a continental breakfast but I had to leave early so I cannot comment on the second 'B' of a B&B). The TV was unobtrusive. Now tell me, how many hotels/motels/inns have a flashlight in the room in case of emergency! There was one next to the TV. I thought that was a great idea having been in hotels when the power went out. I did not see an elevator and it appears that all the rooms are on the second floor so if you have trouble with stairs, you may want to take that into consideration and ask but if not, by all means, this is a gem in the heart of the deep south. I will be back the next time I'm in the area.

Room Tip: Since each room is unique, talk to the innkeeper about what you like as far as view and size.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank rosietomato
retiredJB
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We had a group of 19, so the buffet was the most efficient way to go. They have plenty of parking, some areas large enough for motorcoaches - we were there on a Sunday and most of the downtown stores were closed. We ate there before going to The Cotton Theatre for a play. The theatre is about 2 1/2 blocks away.

My only complaint is that we had to wait in line for what seemed like longer than it really was, because two of the buffet trays were completely empty. We weren't going to leave that buffet line without macaroni and cheese.

They really know how to cook vegetables. Meats were also extremely good. Dessert assortment was good and I heard no complaints. Staff friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank retiredJB
Summerville, South Carolina
Reviewed April 5, 2012

As a former Innkeeper in a small town, I was very impressed with the Tarrer Inn. All the staff were very welcoming and warm. I actually stayed at the KB house which is behind the square and separate from the Main Inn. At first glance of the outside of the KB house I did not know what to expect as it looks a little run down. But the entire inside is completetely renovated, the room was huge and the bathroom very large as well. Make sure to dine at the hotel which has an excellent southern buffet. Beautiful murals on the walls around the town and a community which does a fantastic job in their community theatre (Swamp Gravy, generally March and October only). Well worth a drive off the major highways

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank AdeleG63
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I have been to Tarrar Inn twice and love the hospitality. The rooms have a wonderful character, and the friendly atmosphere makes the stay the best. We especially injoyed staying in the Bush House, where pictures of the Bush family and well furnished parlor make you fell as if you are really visiting in a private home.

We have been there to see Swamp Gravy, so have experienced the friendliness of the whole community. The murals in the town are well worth walking around and seeing, and the town is a great little walking town. If you are there to see a performance at Cotton Hall, you can walk to the theater.

The meals at the Inn are buffets that focus on home style southern food. If you stay here, you should definitely eat at least one main meal there. There is a hostess at the meals who will make you feel like the most welcome person ever.

Room Tip: There is only one room available with two beds, and there is not an elevator in the two story part o...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Wanda H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colquitt
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bainbridge
Days Inn Blakely
Days Inn Blakely
#1 of 5 in Blakely
Garden Path Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Tarrer Inn? Share your experiences!