“Ehhhh.....”

Howard Johnson Atlanta Airport
Ranked #21 of 26 Hotels in College Park
Reviewed January 18, 2014

To be honest this would have been my last choice of hotels. I was put here due to flight delays and missing my connecting flight. I think everyone staying at this hotel was put here via an airline. Let me start with the staff, who don't seem to have a clue what they are doing. When arriving at the Atlanta airport, I called the front desk to ask about the next shuttle. The clerk told me the shuttle would be arriving at 5:15pm. I retrieved my bags at 5:16pm, so of course I missed the shuttle. I called the front desk and asked "How often does your shuttle come, is it every 30 minutes?" The guy replied, "Yes the next shuttle will be there at 6:15 pm", I'm thinking well that isn't every thirty minutes then. So we're waiting and waiting. It's not 5:45 pm and a shuttle for a different hotel line pulls up and asks us where we are going. We tell him our issue, and he offers to take us to our hotel.

We get to the front desk, I request a down comforter because I am allergic to the old fashioned cheap hotel comforters that are shown in the pics of this hotel. He looks at me like he is clueless, so I take my luck with the room. The rooms are ok, I wouldn't pay for it, but I will not complain too much about them because I did not pay for them. The iron is attached to the ironing board so that it can't be stolen, that tells you what kind of area this hotel is in.

We called the front desk and asked if it was possible for the shuttle to take us somewhere other than the airport. The clerk was like yes, so we asked to be taken five minutes up the street so that we can go to a club to purchase VIP packages. She said the shuttle can not take us to the club. This is 9:00 pm, before the club opens. We asked for an explanation on where the shuttle could take us, let's just say that I am still confused on where the shuttle can go. So I am going to assume that the shuttle can only go to the airport.

The only reason that I gave this hotel three stars is because of the bar staff. The ladies in the restaurant were very nice and attentive. The food was also very good. This restaurant was the only place in the whole hotel that showcased the "southern hospitality" that you look for in Atlanta.

Sad to say, I had to contact the front desk again. We had an early flight so we needed to catch the 6:00 am shuttle. I called the front desk and told them that I needed to catch this shuttle. All she told me was that the shuttle would be here in 5 minutes. I get down there and the shuttle has already left and we have to wait thirty minutes for the next one. The upsetting part is that the front desk clerk did not offer to hold the shuttle for me or to call me when the shuttle pulled up.

I would never spend my own money here. I can get past the rooms because I didn't have much issues like others. However, the staff needs to be trained on hospitality. There is no way that they could work at another hotel. They do not even smile and greet you.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank echappell86
Shametra C, Manager at Howard Johnson Atlanta Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Good afternoon, I would like to apologize for all the problems you incurred during your recent stay with us. I have addressed each one with management during our staff meeting. Please give us another chance to provide you with great customer service that you our customer so deserve. Thank you, Shametra/Manager

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Got stuck here due to a delta delay and the hotel was gross. The bathtub looked like it came out of a college frat house with gross stains in it. There was stains on most of the furniture in the rooms and the lobby. Good job delta....

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Alex H
Shametra C, Manager at Howard Johnson Atlanta Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We are very sorry the hotel did not meet your expectations. Your review has been addressed with the owner and he has quickly begin taking steps to upgrade the few areas of concern. Please give us another chance to welcome you again to the Quality Hotel so you can experience a much better stay.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

I was without a hotel room on the night of the SEC Championship game, and everything was sold out. I got a room here last minute and while it's not the Ritz, it was just what I needed. The front desk person, Courtney, gave me a late check out so I could sleep and was very nice to a weary traveler. The room was clean and comfortable, and that's all that matters. Thank you to Courtney for being so wonderful.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking time to write this nice review. I have shared your comments with the entire hotel staff. I sincerely hope the next time you visit Atlanta you will stay with us again!!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Don't bother! Hotel is old and dirty. Starting with the shuttle from the airport, I knew it was not going to be a good experience. The shuttle smelled like BO and rattled the entire way to the hotel. The lobby was not inviting nor was the staff that did not even greet any of the guests checking in. She basically just handed out keys. My room was a non-smoking room yet the bathroom smelled like an ashtay. The shower floor was black - never been scrubbed and the room was generally dingy. I expected much more from Delta considering they messed up!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank jtbrow
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I was put up here because of a travel delay with Southwest. Normally, the hotels booked by the airlines are very nice. This was an exception to that rule. My room was one of the few left, and was dirty. It was not cleaned from the prior person, just the beds made. There was a dirty towel left in the shower, and all the shampoo/soap had been used. There was trash left in the room. If I had any other options or had been paying myself....I would have moved immediately. You can tell the only way this hotel is allowed to get away with this is the deal they cut with the airlines. With all the nicer hotels, don't book here!
Plus, I got here late and was hungry. The restaurant was closed because the chef did not show up.
The lack of attention by employees shows the care put out by this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a clean room
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MLMRocksTravel
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Found tissue and remote behind bed, lights unplugged, things from previous guest left behind including half of a drink in the fridge. At least the wifi was free and functioning. I guess at $79 a night, value is poor to average, but was glad it was Delta paying and not me.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank TravelingCarrolls
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This is not the Hilton or Marriott! But the hotel was clean. I felt safe walking around the property. The bed was in good shape. The mattress looked fairly new. Very comfortable to sleep on! We did not hear any outside noise, not the airport, not people in the hall, nothing. The staff was nothing but nice and accommodating. It was very easy to find, and very easy to get on and off the interstate. I was very pleased with our stay and would have no problems staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family