“Excellent breakfast, sullen staff”

Howard Johnson Atlanta Airport
Ranked #21 of 26 Hotels in College Park
Everett, Washington
“Excellent breakfast, sullen staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

This hotel would have rated a 5 except for the staff. While not actually rude, every staff person we encountered treated guests like nuisances they would rather not have to deal with. We stay in this chain of hotels 40+ nights per year, plus 10+ more nights in other brands, and we don't recall such a sour staff anywhere. Not one please nor thank you nor pleasant face, let alone a smile. So much for the purported Southern Hospitality.

On the other hand the rooms were large, clean, well-equipped, priced fairly, quiet, and ours had a great close-up view of the airport's takeoffs and landings.

Breakfast was very filling with eggs, yogurt, waffles, pastries, fruit juices, coffee, etc. We were pleased, especially because it started at 5:30 a.m. so we could catch our early flight.

The restaurant (which also is the site of the breakfast) serves tasty food at okay prices. The Southern fried chicken was superb.

The shuttle runs on time every half hour. The long ride to and from the airport made the hotel seem quite distant, but actually it was just a few hundred meters from the perimeter. The shuttle was simply forced to drive in a great circle to travel between the two.

Room Tip: Get a high room facing the airport and enjoy watching the planes come and go.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 828TJA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I am looking for a venture to have a conference I went by this facility. Andrew was working at the desk alone. He greeted me and told me the sales manager was off the property. He then took me to see the ball room and other areas that I was interested in that were on the main floor. He also made keys for me to see the rooms!! Above and beyond the call of duty. Other hotels that I visited said she's not in and there were 3 to 5 at the desk and they never offered to show anything. It may not be a 5 star but the first impression certainly got my attention.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank MotherMargaret M
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I missed my flight and Delta set us up. There were more than 30 people needing a room after 11pm. It's a simple hotel, but Judy was our auditor and was as sweet as can be...fully composed with an onslaught of unhappy, tired travelers. My only complaint was that the kitchen closed earlier than it should have, but the bartender remained accommodating. All good. It's late now, and I hope I'm up in time for my flight...but I'm glad I had a decent place to stay for the night!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I might be inclined to say this is the worst hotel in the universe but I have not been to them all. It is the worst I have experienced...dated, dirty, poor service, and lacking in all things positive. I was "stuck" there when my Atlanta flight was cancelled. The Airlines should immediately remove this property as an option. And I hope they enjoy my Costa Rica book I left behind because they certainly ignored my repeated efforts to get it back.

Room Tip: Avoid 306....we turned the water on and it wouldn't turn off. We changed rooms but could hear th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Michael631
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

I didn't stay at the Hotel, however, other classmates stayed here. During our two weeks here in training...we used the conference room and was served lunch during our stay. The facility appeared to be on the dated side, but the excellent customer service made up for it. 5 star for excellent customer service from all. 2 star for dated appearance. Again I did not stay here, so I can't rate the rooms, only the common areas. A special thumbs up for the day time shuttle driver.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Marietta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

The service was great. We had a problem with our room it was handle the same day. Upon returing we where giving another room with no problems. Breakfest was cool. The food that was provide for the traniers like my self was always more then enough i dont eat beef or pork and recieve chicken and fish as a sub. Which made me feel that these people will go up and beyond to please your stay. Room attendents where the BEST! They made sure that your room stayed stocked and clean. I would come back because of the serivce along!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Because our flight was canceled Delta put us up in this hotel for the night. It was close to the airport but that was the only good thing it had going for it. Everything needed to be updated and was old and run down. We didn't have the breakfast but we did have dinner at their resturant Bowties. Food was overpriced and not very good at all. It also took a long time for us to receive our food.

1 Thank mollypez
Sleep Inn Airport
#16 of 26 in College Park
La Quinta Inn & Suites Atlanta Airport South
Ramada Atlanta Airport East/Forest Park

Been to Howard Johnson Atlanta Airport? Share your experiences!